Thread: Drill Press Issues Delta DP220

Post Thanks / Like

Drill Press Issues Delta DP220

Hi Guys,

I've been drilling a lot more larger diameter holes recently (1/2", 5/8", 3/4") in thicker steel (3/8", 1/2", etc). My old Milwaukee/Delta DP220 drill press does great with smaller diameter holes, but the chuck seems to keep falling off when drilling larger holes due to vibrations. I have the plate well secured to the stand with vise grips and I don't make any adjustments as I step up in bit sizes to ensure there are no alignment issues. It's the original chuck and spindle, which I cleaned off with alcohol, but the chuck still continues falls off. After doing some research online, it sounds like I may be pushing the limits of the drill press, but I wanted to ask you guys for your opinion. I bought another drill chuck but haven't had a chance to try it out.

If I'm not using the right tool for the job, what should I step up to? Do I need a beefier drill press? A mag drill so I can run annular cutters? I don't mind paying a little more $$ for the right tool, but I'm not going to spend $5k for a bridgeport. Or is my drill press setup fine?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I need to overthink how I'm going to overkill this project.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400
    Crowbar for when $@&%* gets real

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drill Press Issues Delta DP220

I work in aircraft tooling... we use core drills... they look like a twist reamer but they take a bigger bite. I have a little enco drill press (belt drive like yours) and have no problem stepping out to 1 inch... with a much smaller motor.

I would say speeds and feeds... I will pilot with 3/8ths and step from there. If you ha e access to these it would help... but that's all I can think of.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

So the chuck is coming off the arbor. Have you hammered it onto the arbor? That is unusual in my limited experience.
    I assume the chuck and arbor have the same taper. You should be able to get the arbor out of the machine..
    lower the quill and there should be a slot for a drift to be inserted to knock the arbor out of the quill. Then you can tap the arbor into the chuck. Recess all the teeth, set the chuck on wood and tap the arbor into the chuck.

If you could slow your machine down you will have better success at drilling larger holes.

Hole saws or annular cutter or "core drill" are not the way to go until.you have speed reduction.

Post Thanks / Like

chuck seems to keep falling off when drilling larger holes due to vibrations
    If you have so much vibration the chuck is coming off the arbor then there is something wrong. Either the bit is wrong, the speed, the chuck, the arbor or maybe the drill. Definitely sounds like something is wrong.

A video is the only way to show us what is going on.

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    You should be able to get the arbor out of the machine..
    lower the quill and there should be a slot for a drift to be inserted to knock the arbor out of the quill. .
    On the older Delta-Rockwell machines there is no slot, the arbor is one piece all the way into the drive pulley and requires 11 steps to remove it
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

If chatter is preceding the chuck dropping off, you might be drilling the wrong size pilot hole.

Name:  drillbit.gif
Views: 288
Size:  22.1 KB

Pilot holes should not be greater in diameter than the web of the bit. I call it the dead zone. Dead, because the bit does very little cutting in the web.

When your pilot hole is too large, the bit will grab. Bits like to be supported by the full length of the cutting edges. Go too big on that hole, and you get bad chatter. If you stall the bit, and try to retract it while the machine is running...…...very often you leave the chuck behind.

Try a smaller pilot hole, and check your taper to see if it's been damaged. Blue the chuck, and gently rotate it inside the taper. Look up in there with a mirror, or directly if you can get under it, and see if the blue ink is transferring in a band around the inside of the taper, or if the blue is only transferring to one, or a few spots. If the band is interrupted, your taper is either bad, or the chuck is bad. If a known good chuck does the same, it's the taper up in the drill.

This might also be a good time to learn (if you already don't do it) to sharpen your bits. A well sharpened bit reduces drilling effort big time. Once you get the hang of it, you'll see that a lot of bits off the shelf aren't ground too well.

7. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Site must be back to normal....even the spammers are back
    Last edited by bigb; 04-07-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mslmachinery View Post
    Q: What is Shot Blasting Room?

A: Blast Room System is a closed space, includes blasting system, abrasive circulatory system and rust removal system, etc. Sand blasting booths is mainly used for surface preparation and strengthening of steel, castings, aluminum alloy parts and other parts' enclosure. Plastic parts cannot be used in this device. Through the facilities can remove the complex work piece surface contamination, the oxide skin, welding slag, the waste paint and so on, causes the work piece surface to be bright and clean, simultaneously reduce the work piece internal stress, enables the work piece surface to obtain the strengthening, thus achieves enhances the work piece surface and the intrinsic quality goal.

https://www.msl-machinery.com/produc...ting-room.html
    does it come corona virus free?? or does it have a self sterilization setting?......................................

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. I typically drill an 1/8" hole, stepping up to 1/2" then either 5/8" or 3/4". Maybe that's too small of a jump on the upper end? I tried to attach a video but I guess my phone takes too high quality to send. In the photo I drilled an 1/8" hole and then stepped up to 1/2" on a scrap piece of 3/16". The original chuck was falling off during that kind of drilling but the new one stayed on tight, for now. I'm wondering if after years of being beaten up if the chuck taper got a little worn and just wasn't holding as tight?

Name:  Drill.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  150.7 KB

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Don't step drill sizes. Like Samm said above, drill a pilot hole the the same as the thickness of the drill web that you intend to use to finish the hole and use that bit. Every time you step you are work hardening the steel at the edge of the hole.
    And a properly sharpened bit makes all the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Drill.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  74.1 KB

Thanks for the advice guys. I drilled some 1/2 inch holes is 4 sets of 3/16" plate that i tacked together (3/4" total) and there were very little vibrations when I stepped up in sizes since I ensured there was plenty of space between each step. However, the drill motor stalled for the first time and I had to start it spinning by had to finish the job. Am I abusing this drill press or is it just falling apart from all the years of use?

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

You don't mention anything other than it stalling, were you drilling when it stalled? Is the drill be overly abused by drilling holes double the size of the chuck rating? How old is the rig & did it develop a smoke leak. Do you have to start it by hand every time now? I don't know how many motors I've found & got running because the little starting contactors inside were stuck or dirty.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    How old is the rig & did it develop a smoke leak.
    the pics he posted looks to be a 1950s DP220 so... yea its old the older ones usually had grey paint job, I've got a 93 year old friend that has a 1932 version still using it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Name:  Drill.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  74.1 KB

Thanks for the advice guys. I drilled some 1/2 inch holes is 4 sets of 3/16" plate that i tacked together (3/4" total) and there were very little vibrations when I stepped up in sizes since I ensured there was plenty of space between each step. However, the drill motor stalled for the first time and I had to start it spinning by had to finish the job. Am I abusing this drill press or is it just falling apart from all the years of use?
    Stalling is a thing of experience. You have to know when to lighten the feed. You get it with time, and experience, on your particular machine. I have had the same issues, and find that lightening the feed, especially at breakthrough, goes a long way in preventing stalling.

If you sharpen your own bits, you will also be able to detect when they require more down force to continue cutting. You know it's time to head back to the grinder.

I'm confident you'll figure out the parameters. Manual machining is all about the art of the smoogie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Yes, the drill press is from the 1950s I believe and has had a rather hard life. This was the first time I had ever experienced the drill stalling and it was right after I pushed through a complete hole. It hadn't happened since, but the chuck not being able to stay on and shortly thereafter the motor stalling has caused me to lose confidence in the rig. It's been great for the couple years I've had it, but I think I'm in the market for another "back up" drill press now. I've been doing some research on here about potentially buying a mag drill as my back up, but I'm learning that you can't really use a mag drill the same way as a drill press. Too bad as it sounded great, drill big holes with annular cutters and small holes with a standard chuck. I guess I'll keep an eye out on craigslist for a deal...

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered the press that Lis2323 made for his mag drill. I made one for mine and it does come in handy. You live be able to modify your current press base to accept a mag drill.

Post Thanks / Like

I made a holder for annular cutters that I run is drill press

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Have you considered the press that Lis2323 made for his mag drill. I made one for mine and it does come in handy. You live be able to modify your current press base to accept a mag drill.
    This sounds interesting. Lis2323 has helped me in the past. Happen to have a link/photo etc. for me to check out? He had actually recommended the Hougen HMD 904 to me as a good mag drill.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had the motor actually stall, just the belt slip.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I replaced a Chinese motor on a jet bandsaw that began to stall. The replacement with the same hp rated motor was 2 times the size the stock motor. TSC marathon motor.