Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Bumper Build '12 Chevy Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Steel Bumper Build '12 Chevy Silverado

Hi Guys,

Building a custom front and rear bumper for my silverado. I've been wanting steel bumpers for years but I finally have the right tools to build one myself rather than buying one for $$$. Building it all out of 3/16" plate to keep down on the weight. Planning to add some auxiliary lights front and rear to help with hunting/fishing in early/late hours. I've only just finished the template and started cutting out the pieces to the puzzle. Mounts are tacked up as well...

I'm thinking about a grill guard too out of 2 inch diameter 3/16" tubing (or similar). Gotta find someone to bend it for me because I don't think that's something I can take on at home. Let me know your thoughts, I'll keep you update along the way!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    I need to overthink how I'm going to overkill this project.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400
    Crowbar for when $@&%* gets real

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steel Bumper Build '12 Chevy Silverado

So, how come you have the truck on jacks...just curious is there is a trick there?

Post Thanks / Like

Only trick is it makes it easier to work on the truck with higher clearance. Plus I can sit while I work versus having to work on my knees.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Got the rear bumper off today. The mounting brackets I'm fabbing up has a bit more complicated geometry based on the way GM designed everything. Once I get the mounting brackets cut out, I'll start on making a cardboard template. I think I want to design the bumper to have recessed auxiliary lights to help me find the boat trailer in the dark when I go fishing. Wire them to the reverse lights is what I'm thinking.

Name:  rear bumper.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  262.3 KB

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

I'll suggest removing the hitch receiver and incorporating the square tube into the new bumper.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking mock up! My thoughts on the front is, you are already going for the "miter'd" look, why not miter cut the pipe, weld, and sand the joints smooth? That would look nice I think. Just my $0.02...…..
    TOOLS AND TOYS
    SMAW Mid States Inc. "MISSING LINK" 10-150 AMP Buzzer circa 1945ish
    SMAW Magic Wand 40-60 AMP Suitcase Buzzer circa 1939ish
    GMAW Hobart 210 Ironman
    Oxy-Propane Torch
    Many other old and cold goodies
    "Rusty but Trusty"

Post Thanks / Like

My plan was to leave the receiver hitch where it is and build the rear bumper around it. I don't know that I want the liability if anything were to happen while hauling a trailer. I'm confident in my welding but it works fine, it's one less thing to worry about, and I don't think it will affect the aesthetics.

I was thinking about welding and sanding the joints smooth. I'm a bit nervous about warpage when I weld the whole thing out. I'm sure it's going to get quite hot as there will be a ton of welding.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

just make sure you can easily remove the hitch for replacement if needed. Maybe you won't keep it that long. They do rot out though.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice start

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Once I get the mounting brackets cut out, I'll start on making a cardboard template.
    No no no. It's CAD. Cardboard Aided Design.

You'll never be able to put cardboard template on a resume.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,

So i got started on my rear bumper template and started welding on my front bumper. While I was welding on the front bumper, I think I put a bit too much heat into it and warped the top section where my light bar is going to poke through. Any advice on getting rid of the warpage? I'm pretty sure I recall you can heat straighten with oxy acetylene but I'm not sure if you heat on the peak side of the warpage or the underside of the warpage? I'd appreciate any advice...

Name:  rear bumper template.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  336.3 KB
    Name:  warped.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  117.2 KB

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

i just built one for my f150 i took that piece of crap hitch they had built into the bumper mount off bought an open box curt clss 4 off amazon for $40 which was a steal then reused and beefed up the old bumper mounts, made out of schedule 40 pipe and steel traed plate. total cost was around $100Name:  bumper2.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  90.7 KBName:  bumper3.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  89.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by paulbuz; 04-11-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Got the rear bumper off today. The mounting brackets I'm fabbing up has a bit more complicated geometry based on the way GM designed everything. Once I get the mounting brackets cut out, I'll start on making a cardboard template. I think I want to design the bumper to have recessed auxiliary lights to help me find the boat trailer in the dark when I go fishing. Wire them to the reverse lights is what I'm thinking.

Name:  rear bumper.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  262.3 KB
    very good idea using the cardboard for a mock up. i didn't realize how flimsy the factory hitch set up appears.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Bumper.JPG
Views: 966
Size:  37.2 KB

Cleaned up the factory hitch to help it last. Hopefully I get a lot longer use out of it. Finished up the template for the rear bumper and starting to tack things up on the front bumper. Couldn't heat straighten the front plate so I'm cutting that piece out again.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Welded up the mounting brackets to the front plate of the bumper. Used some square tubing to reinforce the front as you can see. Thinking about adding a little more square tubing at an angle to support the top of the front bumper plate as well. I learned the trick of welding the plate to the table to stop/limit warpage. Seems to have worked so far as long as it isn't warped when I cut it off the table. Should've put just a few more stitches on in areas that were close to the edges but live and learn. Going to try to fit up the rest of the pieces tomorrow and cut out the steel for the rear bumper. It's coming along slowly but surely as I'm seeing I still have quite a few tricks to learn.

I really wish I had a plasma cutter. All you guys out there who have them are spoiled. The cut off wheels take forever and have covered the garage in piles and piles of dust. Just can't justify spending $2k yet on the Hypertherm 45 xp. Maybe someday...

Name:  Bumper...jpg
Views: 867
Size:  167.7 KB

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

15. Likes geezer, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Front bumper is pretty much done except for grinding down the welds, the front grill guard and paint. Looking to find some 3" diameter and 3/16" thick (if they make it, I know they go by "schedule") pipe and have someone bend it to my specs. Reinforced the frame of the bumper with 2"x2" and 2.5" x 2.5" 3/16" square tubing I had around. This thing is a BEAST but no more than ~150 lbs.

As for paint, any advice on a primer? I have rustoleum rusty metal primer as well as the rustoleum rust reformer. Not sure which is better. Plan is to truck bed coat over top of my couple coats of primer. I know some people like to Line-X or powder coat but I want to be able to touch it up myself. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! I learn a lot from you guys.

On to the rear bumper now...

Name:  B2.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  251.5 KB
    Name:  B3.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  192.3 KB
    Name:  b4.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  193.1 KB

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

As for paint, any advice on a primer? I have rustoleum rusty metal primer as well as the rustoleum rust reformer. Not sure which is better.
    I really like this front bumper. I still have the 2003 Si!verado front bumper which I would like to upgrade. Your design looks great. I went with a Ranch Hand fear bumper and it works good. Even though the welds are ugly On that Ranch Hand it is stout.
    On your primer question. That Rust Reformer is my go-to treatment. On a metal pipe carport I tabbed from oilfield pipe, 3 years of exposure to rain and snow (south west) it has held up super. As an experiment, some of the pipe I left the primer bare no top coat. Other pipe I used rattle-can zinc by CRC.over the rust reformer. Other pipe I used Rust-Oleum gloss black. Mind you I used flapdiscs to remove all the rust/scale from everything before treatment.
    CONCLUSION: All methods kept 95% of the pipe rust free��. The zinc didn't add any benefit so far. The 5% which shows any rust at all is at my welds. I welded angle to the tops of the pipe for purlins, that's were I have some rust showing. IMO that's because I can't grind out surface rust after welding. BTW I put one coat of reformer for full coverage multiple pass with rattle-cans. PITA. I suggest you buy liquid Rust Reformer and spray or roll it on.less need to mask et all. Hope this helps. One person's experience.
    Last edited by CPO_Dave; 04-20-2020 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to design a grill guard for the front bumper. I see most commercial bumpers are large diameter round tubing but I was wondering if I could use large diameter square tubing? Would a grill guard made from 2.5"x2.5" square tubing be weaker than 2.5" outer diameter round tubing of the same thickness? I've been checking online and it seems to suggest that round tubing is stronger in torsional stress and compressive stress but the square tubing is better at resisting bending. Is this true? If so, I would think a grill guard made from square tubing would be stronger...

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Zoomed in on the pics, and it looks like you're wrapping your welds on the tubing Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 623
Size:  1.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Hell, my welding days are coming to an end. Can barely walk across the yard without runnin' out of breath. Still like to look at what others are doin'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Zoomed in on the pics, and it looks like you're wrapping your welds on the tubing Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 623
Size:  1.1 KB
    Yes sir! Trying to get max strength out of this design. There's a few things I'd change but that's always how it turns out looking back on projects. Spent the afternoon today making a template for my grill guard. Plan on moving forward making it out of square tubing unless somebody jumps in and tells me why that's dumb. I'm thinking of angling the guard forward slightly in case I hit a deer. That way it's more likely to be pushed under the truck rather than launch it up into the windshield.

Still have to finish the grill guard, add on hangers for clevis bolts (plan on fabbing out of 1/2" plate) and add on a short bottom of the bumper (on top of grinding down welds, primer and paint). For the bottom of the bumper, I'm thinking of maybe 3" or 4" strips welded at a 45 degree angle. I think this will give the bumper a cleaner look and help in pushing whatever I hit under the truck.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Main purpose to wrapping the welds is to keep moisture out. Moisture kills tubing.

Open shapes are best for outdoor use. Channel, jr beams, angles, etc...……. But tubing is doable if you pay attention to sealing it.

Post Thanks / Like

When you start a bead, push that sucker on around the corner to close the corner up. It's like welding blind, but you get used to it.

Name:  hay feeder10.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  130.2 KB

Or, you can drag the bead on around the corner as you finish the weld to close off the corner.

Name:  hay feeder9.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  136.1 KB

Corners corners corners

Post Thanks / Like

One of my projects today was to cut out bumper mounts for my clevis bolts. 1-1/16" inch holes in 1/2" plate steel. Need to cut another two for the rear bumper as well. Any advice on welder settings trying to weld 1/2" plate to the 3/16" bumper? Is it worth pre-heating the 1/2"?

Name:  clevis mount.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  143.2 KB

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Spent the day grinding down all of the welds. Holy Sh#$ it was a lot of grinding. Went over the whole bumper with 36 grit, 80 grit and 120 grit to finish it off. Everything in my workspace is covered in metal dust. A little more work and I'll weld on the grill guard and mounts for the clevis bolts. Getting closer to finishing but so far to go.... Still have a long way to go on the rear bumper as well.

Name:  bump1.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  116.0 KB
    Name:  bump2.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  46.1 KB

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Grill guard welded on and mounts for clevis bolts fabricated. All I need to do is weld on the mounts and do a final clean up before priming and painting...

Name:  Bump.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  65.3 KB
    Name:  hanger.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  172.9 KB

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400