Views: 323
Size:  172.9 KB
    Name:  bumperz4.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  66.7 KB
    Name:  bumperz5.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  154.7 KB

Haven't posted in a while but I finished the front bumper. Multiple coats of primer and truck bed coated for durability and so I can touch it up myself. As you can see, I reinforced everything with square tubing but not too much so I kept the weight down. I also designed it so the bumper doesn't stick out obnoxiously far like most bumpers to keep the added length on the truck down as well as reduce the leverage of the added weight on my suspension. Going to add my LED light bar at some point but plenty left the rear bumper to me busy.

Rear bumper frame has been welded out and the frame reinforced. Still have to add the top and work on a number of other things... coming along though!
    I need to overthink how I'm going to overkill this project.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400
    Crowbar for when $@&%* gets real

2. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steel Bumper Build '12 Chevy Silverado

Very slick. I'm running an '05 Silverado and have been pondering making a better bumper for it. No real need, but..... now that I see your build it's giving me a lot of ideas!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great but the clevis mounts look a little thin for the bolts.
    I would make shims or beef them up...

They will rattle like the dickens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the rear bumper pretty much done. Only thing I need to do now is wire up all the lights and run switches into the dash board. I was debating if I wanted the rear lights spliced into my reverse lights so they automatically come one when switching into reverse, or on a switch on the dash i can control. The bumpers aren't super sexy in terms of a bunch of geometry and angles, but the boxier design allowed me to reinforce everything with square tubing making these bumpers WAY stronger than anything you can buy without adding much weight. Overall, I'm very happy with these bumpers especially at the price point. I've sold my OEM front bumper and I'm already money ahead! Haha
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

I've looked at your "visible" welds, and they don't look overly mondo……………….but they look OK. Remember, I'm looking at this with a view on skill that I might not be able to do anymore...……….I'm getting old, and my quality is going down.

I think you're getting it...….finding out what works, and looks good. Keep at it, and get better. Don't think what you're doin' is good enough. Keep at it. You're definitely on the right track.

I'm no more critical on you, as I would be on myself. So, it's all good.

I've found that what it takes, is...………...put everything out of your head, and concentrate on the puddle. Easier said than done.

Post Thanks / Like

That was sorta ****ty, but I don't mean it that way...…….just the way I grew up...….you're forced to do better by your peers.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the welds in easy to reach locations without obstructions are actually pretty good. Granted there are places that don't look perfect, but that's mainly due to all the stitch welds stopping and going in different places to help keep the overall warpage down. I only recently learned about back stepping into previous starts to help keep the stitches looking good, so I didn't back step on a lot of these welds. Vertical up welding out of position with obstructions (reinforced frame) is pretty hard to do well so I'm not at all embarrassed about how those welds turned out. I could've manipulated the bumper into an easier position to weld but its a lot of weight to constantly move. I'm sure there are guys who could do better with some of the challenging welds but I bet they're all full time welders, which I am not. With 8 months of welding under my belt, no formal training, no real plans and basic tools (no plasma cutter, etc.), I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's not the sexiest bumper, but the reinforced frame and grade 8 hardware makes it one of the strongest!

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Trajan Q1400

Post Thanks / Like

Back step is indeed the good way to work back into the crater, beats trying to fill it from the get go. Allows you the opportunity to blend it in.