Thread: Champion 16 serial number

Post Thanks / Like

Champion 16 serial number

I have a champion 16 generator welder. The prior owner told me he bought it new in 1998. Im having a hard time finding the manuals for it because they made tons of these and my serial number is illegible. I see theres a tag on the front of the machine which at some point gave the model serial and spec, but its so faded that i can barely make out anything it says. Is there anywhere else on this machine with my serial number?

The reason i want the manual is because it doesnt make enough amperage. I have the thing maxed out and i can barely keep an arc going with a 1/8 7018 rod. It probably needs brushes but i wouldnt know where or what to order because i cant identify this damn thing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Champion 16 serial number

Okay upon further inspection i found another tag under the panels.
    Model: champion 16
    Spec: sp7116a-001
    Serial: 295wr03434

The brushes and slip rings actually look surprisingly good. Not that it matters because i cant find brushes anywhere for this
    machine. I dont really see any hobart parts online.

Im getting 123 volts at the regular outlet. I adjusted the engine speed to 3600 rpm because it was only
    getting up to 3400 rpm. Im not sure of that would have made a difference. I havent tested it with a weld yet i was just tinkering with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Call Hobart welders. Might be able to tell you something with the engine serial numbers.
    Also there might be a serial number sticker hidden inside some where. Just ask Hobart.

Post Thanks / Like

Think this is the gray color Hobart champ 16, these seem to be very similar to the Miller bobcats of those years.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay so i was able to order a manual for my exact machine. According to the manual its a 1995 model year. Under troubleshooting, good receptacle voltage but low welding power points to a bad reactor. The reactor part number according to this book is 493990-1. I cant find it anywhere online. I emailed bills welder repair but havent got a reply yet.