Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Hey fellas, hope you can help.

    I have a XMT 304 CC/CV 3-phase 415V machine, I've only ever used it in three modes - MIG, pulse-MIG, and stick welding, and works fantastically. But I wanted to try some TIG welding with a gas valved torch, on scratch/Lift settings.

    I identified it as roughly 1996 from the serial number and I have an manual for it.

    But... It's not the right manual, because it shows "scratch start TIG", "Lift-TIG" and foot pedal TIG, going clockwise.

    As you can see from the below picture of my mode selector, it has different TIG mode positions going clockwise: scratch TIG? then what looks like a button contactor start, and then foot pedal TIG.



    I want to know which pins of the 14 pin plug to use for a contact switch, basically.

    Here's something to compoud the situation: The selector only has 6 positions, not 8. It won't select scratch TIG at all, it has no electrode-hot TIG position at all. It also won't select V-sense feeder - the furthest round it goes is to the Stick welding positon, which is the only electrode-hot mode this machine has.

    Can anyone identify it and find me a suitable manual? Or at least, help with the TIG button wiring?

    cheers!
    Last edited by Munkul; 04-14-2020 at 04:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    OK I've managed to find a manual with the same selector face as mine! Still don't know why mine won't select scratch start or V-sense.

    It calls it "Lift-Arc Trigger Hold TIG (GTAW)" and says it's actuated with a contactor.

    Trouble is, I'm nt sure which. Going off this image, I can use EITHER 24VAC or 115VAC to actuate the contactor - pins A+B for 24VAC or pins I+J for 115VAC.

    Is this right? Just a button switch between one of these pairs of pins?

    Name:  contactor.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  81.2 KB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    The manual is right. Clockwise you clearly have scratch first, lift next then the remote.

    The first picture is showing you scratching the tungsten, the second touching and lifting the tungsten and the last has a foot on a pedal.

    Your last post is not correct. You can't trigger it with 24 volt and 115 volt. It is neither of those it is just a switch loop and it is 24 volt circuit.
    Last edited by danielplace; 04-14-2020 at 07:10 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    My manual doesn't mention "Lift-Arc Trigger Hold"

    Like I say, I don't have any electrode-hot TIG position.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    A & B are your switch wires.

    A is also your 24 volt hot wire.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Ok, so I can just use the 24VAC contactor wires. Thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    Ok, so I can just use the 24VAC contactor wires. Thanks!
    Yes those are the ones that bring on the power with the switch.

    Foot pedal uses 5 wires. The two for the contactor and the 3 for the amp control. One is common and other two each one goes at each end of the resistor.

    Your selector switch may have been replaced with a switch that was not correct. Some had only 6 positions. Just an idea not sure if that is what has happened.

  8. Likes Munkul liked this post
  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NW New Jersey
    Posts
    406
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Just curious, is the knob on the right of the selector switch the Local/Remote contactor control switch? The square with the arrow for the remote control by 14 pin plug (pendant/pedal) is for the white outlined stuff , and the orange stuff is for the circle with the arrow (local contactor control) ? when switched on(up) output should be hot ? Just guessing, I have always admired the XMT's , having 3phase 480vpower at my factory would make it a nice in-house machine. How do you run stick ? You should be able to run scratch start tig the same way.

    I think you should be able to get one of the 14 pin connectors from one of the online welding suppliers. I got mine from Newark Electronics, who I think is some how related to Farnell Electronics in the UK. Then you could add one of the small torch handle switches
    Name:  XMT6aO1GNrl.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  63.2 KB


    Let us know what you find
    Best of luck with it
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Yes exactly. Those are all for full time juice. It uses another switch in addition.
    I was just coming on to say this. Those symbols below the dial is showing you that you need to use those switches for that mode.

    I saw them earlier too but didn't correlate.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    You have the remote/panel switch facing down and still no scratch start or lift arc? On my machine the lift arc wasn't instantaneous, you had to let it sit there a bit before you lifted off.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    W. Wisc
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    The orange sections mean the electrode is always hot, the white ones, it is not (or only low voltage), But yes, yours is weird compared to mine - I guess mainly mine has words on it, and yours is icons only. AFAIK, all positions work on mine, but I have not tried some of them for years (no need). I'm either on TIG pedal or regular MIG on this machine. I might give it a spin tomorrow to see for sure...
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ceres, California
    Posts
    3,548
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Post the serial number and the part number of the front display pcb.
    If you do not want to post it. sent it to me by private message. Just click on my name.
    From the serial number I can tell the age, what line power it operates on and pick the right parts list.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    You have the remote/panel switch facing down and still no scratch start or lift arc? On my machine the lift arc wasn't instantaneous, you had to let it sit there a bit before you lifted off.
    Yeah I had the panel control turned on, i was able to preset amps, but it didn't seem like there was any power at all - like there was no electrode-hot, even though it should have been? I wonder if I didn't wait long enough - to be fair, I thought this mode was scratch start, no lift-arc.

    Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Just curious, is the knob on the right of the selector switch the Local/Remote contactor control switch? The square with the arrow for the remote control by 14 pin plug (pendant/pedal) is for the white outlined stuff , and the orange stuff is for the circle with the arrow (local contactor control) ? when switched on(up) output should be hot ? Just guessing, I have always admired the XMT's , having 3phase 480vpower at my factory would make it a nice in-house machine. How do you run stick ? You should be able to run scratch start tig the same way.
    The knob on the right isn't a contactor switch, but it does switch between local and remote control. I think I'm starting to get it now. e.g. with my MIG wire feeder, I set to remote, and control voltage off the feeder. It then presumably uses the 24VAC to pull the contactor in on the machine when I pull the MIG trigger.
    I was under the impression that everything in orange is electrode-hot, but I see now that I was perhaps wrong.
    The far-right position (between V-sense and stick) gives me the stick setting, which is electrode-hot. It's a sweet machine for stick, loads of punch and very smooth. There's not many machines on the market that I'd trade up to from this XMT.

    Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    The orange sections mean the electrode is always hot, the white ones, it is not (or only low voltage), But yes, yours is weird compared to mine - I guess mainly mine has words on it, and yours is icons only. AFAIK, all positions work on mine, but I have not tried some of them for years (no need). I'm either on TIG pedal or regular MIG on this machine. I might give it a spin tomorrow to see for sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Yes exactly. Those are all for full time juice. It uses another switch in addition.
    I was just coming on to say this. Those symbols below the dial is showing you that you need to use those switches for that mode.
    I saw them earlier too but didn't correlate.
    So for the first position, lift-TIG, it maybe IS hot and I didn't realise it. BUT I still don't have a selector position for the V-sense wire feeder... the last turn sits the knob between stick setting and V-sense. And it should have a seperate setting for V-sense with voltage adjustment on the panel, which it doesn't - it just sits on amperage adjustment and OCV.
    Anyways it's not like I will ever need a V-sense feeder anyways, since it's a dedicated shop machine, so it's really not a big deal.

    I've busted my dinse adapter for the valved TIG torch unfortunately, but as soon as i get a new adapter I kinda want to try the lift-TIG and trigger hold TIG mode thanks again everyone.

    Name:  remote settings.png
Views: 211
Size:  126.0 KB

    This would suggest that the V-sense feeder needs a remote to work? But that defeats the object of a V-sense feeder surely? I thought the object was to supply a hot preset CV voltage to a suitcase, with a single cable.
    Last edited by Munkul; 04-15-2020 at 06:20 AM.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    Post the serial number and the part number of the front display pcb.
    If you do not want to post it. sent it to me by private message. Just click on my name.
    From the serial number I can tell the age, what line power it operates on and pick the right parts list.
    appreciated , I'll get a pic of the serial no. tonight.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    The lift arc on it I believe only works in conjuction with switch. Comes on with momentary click then put the fire out with another click of switch.

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    W. Wisc
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    The lift arc on it I believe only works in conjuction with switch. Comes on with momentary click then put the fire out with another click of switch.
    That is different than mine. There is no indication of needing an extra switch. Just make contact for 1-2 sec and slowly lift, is all it says. I've never tried it, but I assume you kill the arc by just pulling away enough to break the arc, like stick.

    For the V-sense feeder, I think the feeder is considered the remote. You pull the trigger to start it going. Same as MIG.

    Miller manuals are frankly awful and seem to assume you already know everything and explain almost nothing. Never could figure out why as it isn't that hard to wrote something useful...
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

  18. Likes Munkul liked this post
  19. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    That is different than mine. There is no indication of needing an extra switch. Just make contact for 1-2 sec and slowly lift, is all it says. I've never tried it, but I assume you kill the arc by just pulling away enough to break the arc, like stick.

    For the V-sense feeder, I think the feeder is considered the remote. You pull the trigger to start it going. Same as MIG.

    Miller manuals are frankly awful and seem to assume you already know everything and explain almost nothing. Never could figure out why as it isn't that hard to wrote something useful...
    If his has the settings like above then it has Lift Arc Trigger Hold Tig setting. It needs a switch to initiate then allows you to kill it with the switch also. Just like you would with high freq but without the HF start.

    Now you may be able to shut off remote and it operate in normal Lift arc where you just lift to light up and break away to extinguish. Just
    guessing.

    Would these not work in lift arc mode with foot pedal for remote amp control ?



    It works with a switch.



    Normal lift arc most machines have is like you say.

    Last edited by danielplace; 04-16-2020 at 12:40 PM.

  20. Likes Munkul liked this post
  21. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Name:  2020-04-16 19.55.49.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  44.6 KB

    serial number


    EDIT: Not sure how it came out upside down, it was normal on my phone and PC, sorry!

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    W. Wisc
    Posts
    439
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    serial number


    EDIT: Not sure how it came out upside down, it was normal on my phone and PC, sorry!
    I know what happened. Based on your serial number starting with KG this is a Kangaroo Series model that was destined for Australia. That is why the pic is inverted!


    No, I have nothing more useful to add here... I do find it interesting how your lift arc requires a switch but mine does not. I wonder if it is some kind of local code or safety requirement?
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

  23. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Cumbria, UK
    Posts
    854
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Miller XMT 304 - manual?Mode selector?

    Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I know what happened. Based on your serial number starting with KG this is a Kangaroo Series model that was destined for Australia. That is why the pic is inverted!


    No, I have nothing more useful to add here... I do find it interesting how your lift arc requires a switch but mine does not. I wonder if it is some kind of local code or safety requirement?
    haha!

    nah, they sell loads of lift-arc inverters over here with no switches.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,594,718,938.93339 seconds with 15 queries