+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Current control slider remote

Post Thanks / Like

Current control slider remote

I have a very old welding power source here Heliarc 350. Its quite old and finding a hand held slider remote for this one is not really easy. I am looking for a slider type remote to fit on the torch which can be adjusted using a thumb.

I have an old knob type remote and I opened it up to have a look inside and found nothing but a simple 15kohm variable resistor (potentiometer). Now I am really having an urge to just buy a slider potentiometer and make my own remote.

The problem is that 15Kohms slider pot is not available. The closest available is 20kOhms.

My question is that does anybody have an experience doing such stuff? What can happen if I use 20kOhms resistance. The voltage divider using a 20KOhms resistor will have the same voltage. The only difference will be in the current which it draws from the power.

I know it is a crazy question but it will be really fun if I can make my own remote without getting killed or destroying the power source.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Current control slider remote

Quote Originally Posted by R3MO View Post
    I have a very old welding power source here Heliarc 350. Its quite old and finding a hand held slider remote for this one is not really easy. I am looking for a slider type remote to fit on the torch which can be adjusted using a thumb.

I have an old knob type remote and I opened it up to have a look inside and found nothing but a simple 15kohm variable resistor (potentiometer). Now I am really having an urge to just buy a slider potentiometer and make my own remote.

The problem is that 15Kohms slider pot is not available. The closest available is 20kOhms.

My question is that does anybody have an experience doing such stuff? What can happen if I use 20kOhms resistance. The voltage divider using a 20KOhms resistor will have the same voltage. The only difference will be in the current which it draws from the power.

I know it is a crazy question but it will be really fun if I can make my own remote without getting killed or destroying the power source.
    Put a 60k resistor across the linear pot end terminals. That way the wiper will sweep across 0-15kΩ as needed.

Mathematically it checks out. YMMV

Last edited by Oscar; 04-28-2020 at 12:49 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

3. Likes yooper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Put a 60k resistor across the linear pot end terminals. That way the wiper will sweep across 0-15kΩ as needed.

Mathematically it checks out. YMMV
    Oscar,

Name:  join the resistance medium.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  52.9 KB
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

5. Likes yooper, Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend using this calculator and their wiring schematic.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/analog...y/emh/emh.html

The result will be a close but not perfectly flat linear curve.
    The output will sometimes fluctuate momentarily while the adjusting the pot(trust me I have bread boarded a few different pots using this method)

Name:  1wAdjustable current control 1.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  25.4 KB
    I'd have to be weird,To grow me a beard,Just to see what the rednecks would do

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist