+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EMP 215ic problem

Post Thanks / Like

EMP 215ic problem

So..... have had an EMP215ic for about 18 months and it had been flawless until today.

I tacked some parts together using smig with the unit plugged into 120v. I went to do the final welds I shut the machine off and plugged it into 230.

After doing this I could not get a real arc to start. Basically the wire feed would work but there was very little power, basically the wire would turn red as it hit the metal but not melt. I noticed the display was now showing 255 amps & 63.7 bolts any time I tried to strike an arc. After going through everything (checking the torch, ground, connections, voltage at the plug, factory reset) the machine worked normally for about 2 minutes, then went back to crap. I've tried regular mig settings, hooking it up to 120V again and got nothing. When the wire was feeding into the metal there was a very high pitched sound coming from it.

I switched over to TIG to try and finish the project, got about 3" of Weld done no problems, then it went back to extremely low power & a high pitched noise.

Any suggestions? Shop where I bought it told me to expect 12-18 weeks for warranty work right now, and that isn't going to work.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EMP 215ic problem

Quote Originally Posted by chevy3100truck View Post
    So..... have had an EMP215ic for about 18 months and it had been flawless until today.

I tacked some parts together using smig with the unit plugged into 120v. I went to do the final welds I shut the machine off and plugged it into 230.

After doing this I could not get a real arc to start. Basically the wire feed would work but there was very little power, basically the wire would turn red as it hit the metal but not melt. I noticed the display was now showing 255 amps & 63.7 bolts any time I tried to strike an arc. After going through everything (checking the torch, ground, connections, voltage at the plug, factory reset) the machine worked normally for about 2 minutes, then went back to crap. I've tried regular mig settings, hooking it up to 120V again and got nothing. When the wire was feeding into the metal there was a very high pitched sound coming from it.

I switched over to TIG to try and finish the project, got about 3" of Weld done no problems, then it went back to extremely low power & a high pitched noise.

Any suggestions? Shop where I bought it told me to expect 12-18 weeks for warranty work right now, and that isn't going to work.

Thanks
    Ridiculous turn around for warranty. Best call ESAB and see what they say. They will likely not have a better answer.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

i have been waiting almost a month for a control pcb. Esab has been waiting for their shipment from China.
    suppose to have arrived yesterday at ESAB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    i have been waiting almost a month for a control pcb. Esab has been waiting for their shipment from China.
    suppose to have arrived yesterday at ESAB
    I feel for you. I sleep better knowing I sold my 215i
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

The esab service is very close to nothing. Better buy some other name brands.
    Machine is ok, but once something happens, very little chances to get it back to work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Hey I’m having a similar problem with my emp 215ic and was wondering if you found a solution to the problem? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Might be a failed output diode.
    If in warranty call ESAB tech support and ask for a list of repair centers that might be near you. If you are in northern California and Nevada. PM me and I will tell you how to get the welder to me. Only hold up on a warranty repairs right now is ESAB having the parts needed. I can look at most machines with in 24 hours right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Well- It took 5 months, and I never did find out the problem, but ESAB sent a complete replacement welder out. Luckily the shop I bought it from had provided a loaner while my was out for warrant

Post Thanks / Like

Well- It took 5 months, and I never did find out the problem, but ESAB sent a complete replacement welder out. Luckily the shop I bought it from had provided a loaner while my was out for warrant
    Here we have a great example of the benefits of buying good brand name power sources from a good bricks and mortar LWS. Brand name means multiple service centre options, parts/replacement availability and a loan machine from your LWS if things look like dragging out. 5 months is too long, they could have sent a new machine straight away, but at least you were able to keep working while time was burning.

Single source mail order machines may have a low entry point price but there are the shipping costs for warranty service (if any is available at all) and no loan machine so you can't work. Costs more in the end.

Name:  Blue.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  717.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist