So..... have had an EMP215ic for about 18 months and it had been flawless until today.

I tacked some parts together using smig with the unit plugged into 120v. I went to do the final welds I shut the machine off and plugged it into 230.

After doing this I could not get a real arc to start. Basically the wire feed would work but there was very little power, basically the wire would turn red as it hit the metal but not melt. I noticed the display was now showing 255 amps & 63.7 bolts any time I tried to strike an arc. After going through everything (checking the torch, ground, connections, voltage at the plug, factory reset) the machine worked normally for about 2 minutes, then went back to crap. I've tried regular mig settings, hooking it up to 120V again and got nothing. When the wire was feeding into the metal there was a very high pitched sound coming from it.

I switched over to TIG to try and finish the project, got about 3" of Weld done no problems, then it went back to extremely low power & a high pitched noise.

Any suggestions? Shop where I bought it told me to expect 12-18 weeks for warranty work right now, and that isn't going to work.

Thanks