+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: YESWELDER: Anyone used one of these?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: YESWELDER: Anyone used one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by jerlands View Post
    Just as an update to this thread... the roller I ordered from China/Taiwan June 4th arrived in the U.S. and was accepted June 10th... It's currently in the hands of USPS moving along it's route about 80 miles away.
    I just ordered one up yesterday - expected mid August. Fingers crossed.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Aluminum with MIG-205DS

I tried the 0.035" ER4043 wire using a 0.040" tip with encouraging results. The only setting that allows enough voltage range is the MAG 0.023" wire setting. I think the wire feed is a little fast for the amperage. I started with the setting recommended for Hobart Maxal 4043 0.035" wire of 130 amps and 24 volts for 1/8" thick material and played around from there. They recommend a wire feed sped of 400 ipm at those settings. I used voltage to keep in the appropriate range of spray transfer.
    I could probably join a couple pieces of aluminum together if I had to but I need to do some more practice and refinement. I think I'm at the current limit of my skills. I'll probably focus on welding steel until I get more experience.

3. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    I ordered a knurled drive roller July 1 and it arrived last evening (July 13). I've learned a couple of things:

SpeedPAK shipping is an affiliate of Ebay. Choose the vendor who uses them! Their tracking reports are real, not made-up. They apparently fill an air transport pod and send one over, every couple of days. In contrast my experience with 'Economy shipping' has been poor.

Ebay seller chnsalescom seems to specialize in welding accessories and actually stocks what they sell. I see they have 100% positive feedback which is rare among China vendors.

That is in contrast to many other sellers, who drop-ship, ie accept your order then have the real vendor send it to you. If your industrial stuff is listed among womens clothing and doo-dads that's probably a drop-shipper. Reading the seller's feedback to see what else he's selling can be a clue to whether he understands the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    There are some decent Chinese vendors out there if you can find them...

Post Thanks / Like

Followup - I tried out the new knurled drive roller for flux core yesterday and its day/night better than what was in the welder. Prior owner had modded this Harbor Freight MIG-180 as a hobby project. It was immaculate and appeared never-used. A big capacitor mounted external, a longer stinger, and a relay to power the drive motor instead of its current going through the motherboard. Then after he moved up to a better welder he sold this one to me - $25! But it didn't feed smoothly when I bought it. I suspect that was his reason for adding the relay feeding the drive motor.

I don't know if the feed roller in it was a useless one from some other project, or it was the original. (.023 + .030 and slightly knurled, while I thought .030 + .035 was the original spec). This new knurled .030 + .035 roller feeds flux core flawlessly with very little pressure compressing the wire against the roller. I think distorted wire explained the previous erratic feeding. Problem solved for $5.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you happen to know if you can set the amperage below 80 on Gasless? I'm unable to, and am having to play with voltage it seems to adjust anything. I'm new to MIG and just learning this machine with still have a way to go but I have a lot of spatter and understand that has to do with the arc distance which seems to be controlled by wire speed which, with the yeswelder, seems to be controlled by the amperage?... I'm welding 16 gauge steel tubing using Blue Demon E71TGS .030 with still a way to experiment but it seems voltage is my only means of heat control at the lower settings?
    Last edited by jerlands; 07-24-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Would you happen to know if you can set the amperage below 80 on Gasless? I'm unable to, and am having to play with voltage it seems to adjust anything. I'm new to MIG and just learning this machine with still have a way to go but I have a lot of spatter and understand that has to do with the arc distance which seems to be controlled by wire speed which, with the yeswelder, seems to be controlled by the amperage?... I'm welding 16 gauge steel tubing using Blue Demon E71TGS .030 with still a way to experiment but it seems voltage is my only means of heat control at the lower settings?
    My 205DS doesn't go below 80 amps on gasless either. The wire feed speed is directly tied to amperage for a specific setting (as far as I can tell) and you can't control them independently. That is the problem with the synergic settings. Similar to what I was doing for aluminum, you could try to find a setting for the combination of wire feed speed and amperage that would suit your need and tell the machine that you are using that wire diameter and gas. I don't think it will matter that you aren't actually using gas. I added a graph (all settings graphed) that combines all 6 combinations of wire feed speeds and amperages to the spreadsheet in the link below:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...sk?usp=sharing

Looking at the recommended settings from Yeswelder, the wire feed speed for 0.035" gasless wire is 5 m/min (197 ipm) at 80 amps. From the graph, that is very close to what you get when using the 0.035" MAG setting. Since you are using 0.030" flux wire I'd set the machine to the 0.030" MAG setting and start from there with what you think the amperage and voltage should be.

I sent Yeswelder a suggestion that they have a setting that allows independent control of wire feed speed if they make an updated version of the MIG-205DS. I also suggested that a synergic setting for aluminum would be more useful than the CO2 synergic setting (Does anyone use CO2 with this welder?).
    Last edited by RKCRLR; 07-25-2020 at 05:27 PM.

8. Likes jerlands liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, the only wire diameter option for the gasless setting is 0.035". So the 0.030 flux core wire is probably being fed too slow for the amperage.
    Do you have some 0.035 flux core wire to try? According to the Yeswelder settings you should be able to use 0.035 flux core wire on 16 gauge metal.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try playing with gasless on gas settings and see if I can do that... seems like a good idea anyway unless there's some kind of pressure switch. Right now I'm set at 80 amps and 17.1 or so volts. I'm able to get the penetration and weld profile I'm looking for but it's too hot to run a bead. If I run lower volts the weld tends to become to high and rounded so what I'm doing is "stitching" the weld across, 5 seconds on - couple seconds off, and that is doing the job. I've never used MIG/MAG but I can see how the gas would provide cooling so there can be less stickout. I could pick up .035" wire and may do that but I think the idea of using MAG settings I'll try first. And, was there a reason for choosing MAG over MIG?
    Last edited by jerlands; 07-26-2020 at 02:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

And, was there a reason for choosing MAG over MIG?
    You're using 0.030" flux core but there is only a setting for 0.035" gasless so your wire is likely feeding too slow for the associated amperage. Per the chart provided by Yeswelder, the wire feed speed for 0.035" gasless wire is 5 m/min (197 ipm) at 80 amps. From the graph in the spreadsheet, that is very close to what you get when using the 0.035" MAG setting. That implies that the synergic settings for MAG and Gasless are similar so if you're using 0.030 flux core wire then the 0.030 MAG setting would be a good starting point.
    This assumes that the values in the chart provided by Yeswelder are correct.
    If you know what amperage, wire feed speed, and voltage you want to use go to the graph in the spreadsheet to pick a wire feed speed and amperage that is close. Then see if that setting will allow you to choose a voltage offset that is in range of what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

It worked!... the MAG setting that is for flux core... I would have thought a pressure switch would have prevented running without gas?... anyway... I'm way down to about 50 amps at 16 volts and I am getting good penetration and the bead is laying down fairly nicely... best of all... very little spatter... so thanks for that suggestion cause I don't know if I would ever have headed that way...

13. Likes RKCRLR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got the roller in the mail, little over two weeks isn't bad at all. Except the knob on the tension wheel adjuster broke while I was putting it in...Aaaargh, just sent a note to YesWelder to get a replacement.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the roller in the mail, little over two weeks isn't bad at all. Except the knob on the tension wheel adjuster broke while I was putting it in...Aaaargh, just sent a note to YesWelder to get a replacement.
    YesWelder's customer service is a crack up. I emailed that I needed the new wire feed tension knob, sent a pic of the part and the SN/receipt. Got pretty quick replies and a shipping confirmation. Arrived yesterday (yes, Sunday) via DHL from Dubai(???) wrapped and packed like it was a Faberge egg lol. There was a hand written apology/thank you note in the package to boot. The machine's kind of a pain/tricky to set up properly (I'm getting there) but can't fault them so far with standing behind it.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I am a new member here
    I have a 205DS, and I am intrigued by the SLOOW wire speed it gets.
    For example on MIG/CO2 at 205AMP I am measuring about 80IPM. This feels very low to me, and also relative to the graphs you guys posted.

Can someone measure theirs and post back the measured speed? I am wondering if I got a defective unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it not slow run-in?

You'll never generate 200 amps with 80ipm wire. It's physically impossible.

18. Likes flip7f liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What wire size are you using? I take it you have that set properly on the machine? I only have a 30amp circuit so mine tops out at 160amps +/- so I can't get you a comparable measurement.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

If seems Munkul got it right. It turns out to be a slower wire speed (slow run-in) while not actually welding but wire-feeding by trigger.
    Yeswelder also replied with similar information. Past their reply I went back and measured wirespeed for Fluxcorewire while welding at 130A/16.6V and it came to at 220IPM which seems an OK speed.

The way I measured the actual speed: The knurled roll spits out 11in /3 rotations (measured it with a ruler and stopwatch). Then I took a cellphone movie and counted how many times the roll turned while actually welding a certain amount of time. For me it came out at 15revs/15 sec. With a little math I came to 220IPM or approx 5.6m/min.

Here is a of it showing how it spins when welding.

My next question is: when someone adjusts voltage with +/- , while keeping AMPS the same on the display - does the wire speed stay the same? I have yet to test this.
    Last edited by flip7f; 11-12-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In theory it should work exctly like that flip7f, though I'd be interested to see the real world results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flip7f View Post
    If seems Munkul got it right. It turns out to be a slower wire speed (slow run-in) while not actually welding but wire-feeding by trigger.
    Yeswelder also replied with similar information. Past their reply I went back and measured wirespeed for Fluxcorewire while welding at 130A/16.6V and it came to at 220IPM which seems an OK speed.

The way I measured the actual speed: The knurled roll spits out 11in /3 rotations (measured it with a ruler and stopwatch). Then I took a cellphone movie and counted how many times the roll turned while actually welding a certain amount of time. For me it came out at 15revs/15 sec. With a little math I came to 220IPM or approx 5.6m/min.

Here is a of it showing how it spins when welding.

My next question is: when someone adjusts voltage with +/- , while keeping AMPS the same on the display - does the wire speed stay the same? I have yet to test this.
    Great work!
    If you can, make a chart with the different settings (wire size, gas setting, amps, & volts) and the corresponding wire speeds you try. It would be interesting to see how well they correspond to the publish data.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    In theory it should work exctly like that flip7f, though I'd be interested to see the real world results.
    Here are some attempts to weld 1/4 fillet, corner weld and a vertical up with various currents using the Synergic settings and Inductance. When I said +6 that refers to inductance.
    I am a hobbyist , please be polite on your comments.

Name:  20201112_164535.jpg
Views: 3654
Size:  140.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty good flip7f, few notes:

remember to dwell at the end to add enough wire to fill the crater. I end it in a swirling motion usually to fill in that last crater. Also, the hammer (destructive) testing always tells the true tale, especially on a wire feed process which can look really good and still be bad.

Welding over the dross (slag from cutting) nearly guarantees incomplete fusion and a PIA weld (spatter, wandering arc, etc), even if practicing do yourself a favor and knock off the dross as best you can.

Very impressive for the price, you got a nice little tool there and you're not too deep in it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some new vid showing the display of MIG205DS during welding.
    Seems current is slowly rising, which is plausible. I may need a DC Clamp meter to validate this observation.

26. Likes California, RKCRLR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I do and removing Co2 is a big mistake welders do use it

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Shootr;8755445]As I've been practicing and learning with the -205DS and googling about settings and values, I've come to these conclusions:

*Wire speed is set by amperage, for .030 wire the wire feed is 2 x the amperage setting? I have an old 2lb spool of crappy flux core wire, so when my current one runs out I want to use it for some speed tests and see if that is really the truth with this machine.

*A couple youtube video reviews show how to use the voltage +/- values to lower or the raise the voltage for a set amperage. That has been super useful in getting me into the ballpark for correctly setting it up per this chart another reviewer shared:
    Attachment 1712790

thanks so much for that chart I so needed that.

29. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought the mig-205ds-b with the lbt-150 spool gun… runs marginally on 110. Gonna pull a 220 line soon. Does seem to weld 4043 .035 ok. Dont like the metric, but hey i should probably learn Spanish too… Spent 375 direct form yeswelder. My forney has never tripped that same 110 breaker, so might be questionable to advertise dual voltage….. just a thought.

Primeweld Tig 325X
    Primeweld MTS 200 w Spool Gun
    Primeweld Cut60 Plasma Cutter
    Lincoln Viking 3350

Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity,,, is this worth it? Why go so far out of the way to find the junk. Not sure if it's worth it if it was free?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist