+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swag-OFF ROAD Portaband saw stand for DWM-120 and getting the saw square to the table

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swag-OFF ROAD Portaband saw stand for DWM-120 and getting the saw square to the t

yes if you google "tractorbynet bandsaw table" it will come up.

2. Likes bigb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swag-OFF ROAD Portaband saw stand for DWM-120 and getting the saw square to the t

I’d like to edit my above post but that’s not possible on this website.
    The V 27 is actually not sloppy
    It fits in the cut out very tight and it also has plastic spacers that you can adjust to take up the space if any.

I haven’t used it in a while so my memory faded.

It actually works pretty good but Using a couple C clamps definitely helps
    Because sometimes the blade will grab the piece and get you wonky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

4. Likes Thats Hot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can also get into trouble with this thing if you push down on it.

Because the further and will lift

One of these days I’m going to make a little tab to hold it into place

Such as in the picture.

Hopefully you will dig what I’m saying

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

John T,

Your table is slightly different than the version 3.0, you must have the version 2.0 as I think the 1.0 needed to be held in a vise.

One difference is that the 3.0 has a separate throat plate which the saw attaches to which is removable.

Yes, the plastic washers are how you adjust the tightness in the slot, but the 3.0 table has a separate piece at the bottom of the slot with a SHCS on the front and rear to secure it, maybe your table is different but as long as it sits flat on the table, that's about as good as you can do.

These are not precision tools by any means, IMO, and that's just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

After tweaking this thing to get the GD blade perpendicular to the base, I finally found success with a .25mm feeler gauge positioned just right. PITA

The first cut just ignoring the non-perpendicularity gave me a fktup cut. Even with the blade pretty damn square after adding the feeler gauge to the base fastener, it was still not near perfect.

I know , I know I have to spend many more hundreds of dollars to be able to cut a piece of tubing square, but what is the purpose of this setup with a bandsaw and a bandsaw table if it isn't to get more accurate cuts? What do folks use this setup for?

I am talking just cutting 1-2" tubing square or rectangular.

There must be something I am missing like tips and tricks of using a cheap $300 bandsaw on a table-mount portaband ver. 3.0 to get acceptable cuts.

I am in envy of the unbelievably accurate cuts I got from the metal supermarket...its amazing.

The mounting brackets I just cut are for the axles for my welding cart so the precision isnt important on one end of the pieces, but when I cut the spar I need for shelf it has to be accurate...God will I have to go back to make a cut on my abrasive disc chop saw after all this?

UUgggggg! Any ideas....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    I know , I know I have to spend many more hundreds of dollars to be able to cut a piece of tubing square, but what is the purpose of this setup with a bandsaw and a bandsaw table if it isn't to get more accurate cuts? What do folks use this setup for?
    Not sure how much experience you have cutting metal, but it's not a bad solution to have bandsaw capabilities in a small, inexpensive package. I can turn my horizontal bandsaw up on vertical, it has a small table, but small is the keyword here.

I can also use an angle grinder, most of which cost at least half of what a portaband costs, but they are pretty messy and way noisier. An angle grinder is more versatile, IMO, however. Especially if you weld, they have a number of uses.

There must be something I am missing like tips and tricks of using a cheap $300 bandsaw on a table-mount portaband ver. 3.0 to get acceptable cuts.
    No, I think you're merely missing an understanding of what you can get with a tool that wasn't even designed for sitting on a table to begin with and/or what a $300 tool can do for you.

I am in envy of the unbelievably accurate cuts I got from the metal supermarket...its amazing.
    Not to burst your bubble but they're not using a portaband on a Swag table to cut their metal. Maybe if you had enough money to get a saw equivalent to what they're using you would also have a better appreciation for your $300 portaband. I bought my portaband for $100 on craigslist.

UUgggggg! Any ideas....
    Yes, as I have suggested, mark out your cut layouts with a combination square and maneuver the piece how you need to in order to get a straight cut to your line. You will find that you can get remarkably close cuts to your layouts. Much quieter than an angle grinder, and way cleaner (means a lot to me)..

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how much experience you have cutting metal, but it's not a bad solution to have bandsaw capabilities in a small, inexpensive package. I can turn my horizontal bandsaw up on vertical, it has a small table, but small is the keyword here. YES

I can also use an angle grinder, most of which cost at least half of what a portaband costs, but they are pretty messy and way noisier. An angle grinder is more versatile, IMO, however. Especially if you weld, they have a number of uses.yES i AGREES, i HAVE ALL THAT.

No, I think you're merely missing an understanding of what you can get with a tool that wasn't even designed for sitting on a table to begin with and/or what a $300 tool can do for you.yES i AGREE. JUST WONDERING WHAT PEOPLE USE A PORTABLE BAND SAW FOR...MOSTLY ROUGH CUTS? NOTHING REALLY PRECISE. i GUESS IF YOU USE IT A LOT YOU GET GOOD AT USING IT.

Not to burst your bubble but they're not using a portaband on a Swag table to cut their metal. Maybe if you had enough money to get a saw equivalent to what they're using you would also have a better appreciation for your $300 portaband. I bought my portaband for $100 on craigslist. lol, OF COURSE NOT. MY POINT WAS, WHATEVER THEY USE IS ABSOLUTELY FANTASTICALLY ACCURATE AND REPRODUCIBLE. wOULDNT THAT BE NICE TO HAVE SOMETHING A FRACTION OF THE UTILITY.

Yes, as I have suggested, mark out your cut layouts with a combination square and maneuver the piece how you need to in order to get a straight cut to your line. You will find that you can get remarkably close cuts to your layouts. Much quieter than an angle grinder, and way cleaner (means a lot to me).. I USE EVERY SQUARE DEVICE I HAVE. THE TIPS AND TRICK I AM ASKING ABOUT. DOES THE CUT SEEM TO FLARE OUT TOWARDS THE END? LIKE AT THE END OF THE CUT.

i APPRECIATE THE RESPONSES, I HAVE A LOT TO LEARN...THX

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have 3 portabands and I use one as a hand held for cutting conduit and unistrut on the job site, it doesn't cut perfectly square but it sure makes quick work of it. The second one I have mounted to the Swag first generation table that clamps in a vise, I use that one for rough cuts or cutting small pieces of thinner metal. Works great for coping angle iron before welding together for frame shapes. Also great for cutting all thread without buggering the threads. Now the 3rd one I have mounted to a chop saw style table and is adjustable for square and let me tell you if you want square cuts from a portaband this is the way to do it. Mine can cut just as square as my horizontal band saw, of course with any band saw you have to make adjustments as the blade wears and never force the work especially with these narrow blades like the portabands use, they will flex and go crooked on you in a heartbeat if forced. Here's a link to a thread I started a few years ago about my chop style table with a few examples of how accurate I got it to cut. https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ortaband-Stand

I think a big part of why it's so hard to get square cuts from a portaband is because it is designed to move through a stationary/clamped work piece, when you mount it like a verticle band saw now you are moving the work piece through the saw instead.
    Last edited by bigb; 04-27-2020 at 07:02 PM.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Well I have 3 portabands and I use one as a hand held for cutting conduit and unistrut on the job site, it doesn't cut perfectly square but it sure makes quick work of it. The second one I have mounted to the Swag first generation table that clamps in a vise, I use that one for rough cuts or cutting small pieces of thinner metal. Works great for coping angle iron before welding together for frame shapes. Also great for cutting all thread without buggering the threads. Now the 3rd one I have mounted to a chop saw style table and is adjustable for square and let me tell you if you want square cuts from a portaband this is the way to do it. Mine can cut just as square as my horizontal band saw, of course with any band saw you have to make adjustments as the blade wears and never force the work especially with these narrow blades like the portabands use, they will flex and go crooked on you in a heartbeat if forced. Here's a link to a thread I started a few years ago about my chop style table with a few examples of how accurate I got it to cut. https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ortaband-Stand

I think a big part of why it's so hard to get square cuts from a portaband is because it is designed to move through a stationary/clamped work piece, when you mount it like a verticle band saw now you are moving the workpiece through the saw instead.
    Yeah man, that makes a lot of sense. Those cuts look great. I really wanted a chop saw style setup because it did make more sense but I couldn't find the right build for this thing. I will look at your build in-depth...I have nothing but time.... Thank you for taking the time to respond!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was a little confused when people referred to a portaband, when they were talking about an actual saw called a portaband.....like the one I see in your link....that is a saw right? OK, I WANT a horizontal setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a little confused when people referred to a portaband, when they were talking about an actual saw called a portaband.....like the one I see in your link....that is a saw right? OK, I WANT a horizontal setup.
    Keep in mind the rabbit hole you're going down. For about the same price or slightly more you can get a cold chop saw that will cut way more accurate. Just sayin'...I don't have one but want one real bad...will cut square or miters accurately.

Post Thanks / Like

Within my shop I rarely have use for a table mounted vertical bandsaw. However away from my shop I use it handheld for everything it can reach.

The largest benefit I found when I mounted the portaband on the table was convenience and ability to cut irregular shapes shapes. My major issue was drifting off my line. I really had a few job in succession ,shortly after I purchased it where the vertical band saw was a great option. I was cutting complementary angles too great for my horizontal bandsaw. Then, I have a eureka moment and figured how to do it on the horizontal bandsaw horizontally. Thus the existence of the swag table saw was unnecessary

The portable bandsaw will be a handy tool, overall. You can free hand cut quite accurately. It is just slow.

I would suggest H bandsaw before chop saw or cold saw. Quiet is nice.

I use my cold saw on job sites or on items I do not move off my trailer.

Good luck.

I have a dry saw not a cold saw.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 04-27-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Keep in mind the rabbit hole you're going down. For about the same price or slightly more you can get a cold chop saw that will cut way more accurate. Just sayin'...I don't have one but want one real bad...will cut square or miters accurately.
    I have one. Noisey, dirty, heavy-ish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Within my shop I rarely have use for a table mounted vertical bandsaw. However away from my shop I use it handheld for everything it can reach.

The largest benefit I found when I mounted the portaband on the table was convenience and ability to cut irregular shapes shapes. My major issue was drifting off my line. I really had a few job in succession ,shortly after I purchased it where the vertical band saw was a great option. I was cutting complementary angles too great for my horizontal bandsaw. Then, I have a eureka moment and figured how to do it on the horizontal bandsaw horizontally. Thus the existence of the swag table saw was unnecessary

The portable bandsaw will be a handy tool, overall. You can free hand cut quite accurately. It is just slow.

I would suggest H bandsaw before chop saw or cold saw. Quiet is nice.

I use my cold saw on job sites or on items I do not move off my trailer.

Good luck.
    OH MAN For about the same price I think I would have been much happier.: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-be...EaAgiMEALw_wcB

GEEz Now I want to sell this thing Dewalt DWM-120 (new with box) used twice ($210) SWAG offroad Version 3.0 used twice ($110) plus shipping.
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 04-27-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't expect much better cuts with that Eastwood setup. Your still going to get blade drift with that. If your dealing with smaller, lighter gauge material, the dry cut saw will give you the most accurate cuts. I use a horizontal bandsaw for most cuts, but for miter cuts that need to be accurate, the Makita lc1230 comes out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I wouldn't expect much better cuts with that Eastwood setup. Your still going to get blade drift with that. If your dealing with smaller, lighter gauge material, the dry cut saw will give you the most accurate cuts. I use a horizontal bandsaw for most cuts, but for miter cuts that need to be accurate, the Makita lc1230 comes out.
    Yeah man, I am delirious.I just don't know what I was thinking. That is a nice saw...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd keep the dewalt and get a horizontal band saw. Does hf still sell them?or just use the dewalt for a while til you figure out what you need most. Since you have time, invest in some good files. You can hog metal off rather than grind. There actually is something satisfying about hearing all that swarf raining down onto the floor per stroke.

The saw will be valuable to you hand held. Sale the table, keep the saw.

The Eastwood saw has very limited capacity. It might work fine, just check the spec for capacity at angle cutting.

20. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a inexpensive saw setup. Use it as is and if it doesn't make a 100% accurate cut, buy
    A bench 4"x36" belt sander to true up the cut.
    If you're welding pieces together, a 1/8"
    To me doesn't matter on 2" tube.
    For best results buy yourself a Ellis 1600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Likes vdotmatrix, Thats Hot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one. Noisey, dirty, heavy-ish.
    What type of cold chop saw that you have?

If you don't have one that uses Carbide Tooth Blades, you have a different beast.

24. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Swag-OFF ROAD Portaband saw stand for DWM-120 and getting the saw square to the table

Matrix,
    You are really going to flip your lid
    When you snap a blade in the middle of a cut .... and it takes 2 hours to realign the new blade to your OCD specs ....

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    I'd keep the dewalt and get a horizontal band saw. Does hf still sell them?or just use the dewalt for a while til you figure out what you need most. Since you have time, invest in some good files. You can hog metal off rather than grind. There actually is something satisfying about hearing all that swarf raining down onto the floor per stroke.

The saw will be valuable to you hand held. Sale the table, keep the saw.

The Eastwood saw has very limited capacity. It might work fine, just check the spec for capacity at angle cutting.
    Suggest a set of files to make short work of cleaning up crappy cuts.

27. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of cold chop saw that you have?

If you don't have one that uses Carbide Tooth Blades, you have a different beast.

Man. I really don't know what I was thinking. I had a hardon for this stupid band saw, completely spacing out the metal chop saws. I have had this Rigid chop saw...it works, but some of the mitered cuts were a little tenuous.
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 04-28-2020 at 12:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    It's a inexpensive saw setup. Use it as is and if it doesn't make a 100% accurate cut, buy
    A bench 4"x36" belt sander to true up the cut.
    If you're welding pieces together, a 1/8"
    To me doesn't matter on 2" tube.
    For best results buy yourself a Ellis 1600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a TT belt sander, but the belt meanders all over the place when in use...I need to get another one.

Post Thanks / Like

Man. I really don't know what I was thinking. I had a hardon for this stupid band saw, completely spacing out the metal chop saws. I have had this Rigid chop saw...it works, but some of the mitered cuts were a little tenuous.
    Isn't that an abrasive blade saw?

Tell me though, were you serious about the files to clean up crappy cuts? I'm still laughing over that one...

Post Thanks / Like

It was tapwelders suggestion...
    Isn't that an abrasive blade saw?

Tell me though, were you serious about the files to clean up crappy cuts? I'm still laughing over that one...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist