Thread: Need Experienced Help

Post Thanks / Like

Need Experienced Help

I was in the market for a slightly bigger machine than i have and wanted a good deal on a tig machine. Saw my local CL ad for a syncrowave 351 and wanted to see if anyone knows what the issue could be with this thing? I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'd really appreciate any help. https://reading.craigslist.org/tls/d...101578886.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Experienced Help

Don't know if the guy selling it is a welder or just has some used machines. High frequency could have caused damage or could be something simple like the local remote switch is bad. Pretty hard to say what's wrong without doing some tests. Here's an owners manual with a troubleshooting guide that may help.

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O354B_MIL.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

My guess would be that because this is a popular and highly thought of machine, He has had it looked at and it is probably too costly to fix. I would love to have it for $500 and find out it was a switch. If I was interested in it I would call a couple welding supply houses with repair staff. They are usually pretty good to bounce questions off of.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys! Iíll read into that manual today.

Post Thanks / Like

No Hf is a common problem with this welder. Most of the time it is just a small relay that fails on the relay pcb.
    Left side of the welder on the back. Last is checked miller still has a few or you can just replace the small relay. Black box.
    Before you buy it, remove one side panel and look at the polarity switch. see if it is plastic or metal blades.
    The plastic one fails, the all metal seem to last for ever. also look at the filter pcb to the left of the relay pcb.
    Make sure nothing is burnt or damaged on it. The line contactor is turned on by a cable that runs from a push button. Once welder powers up, that contactor stays on until the off button is pressed and the off switch opens, removing power from the contactor coil. Off switch and two small diodes next to the coil must be good for contactor to be able to stay on.
    Relay pcb has a ribbon cable going to it. One large relay in a plastic box and several small relays.
    Check CB1 next the the 115 volt receptacle. If tripped you will have no HF. Contact me by private massage if you need more help.