+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Airco Dip Pak 200

Post Thanks / Like

Airco Dip Pak 200

Got a guy local to me selling an airco dip pak 200 for $450, is that a good deal for that machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Airco Dip Pak 200

Do you mean Dip Stick 200 ? If so I had one several years ago. It was the first multiprocess mig/stick welder I ever saw. Mine was a Dip stick 160 though. I was not impressed with it and sold it as soon as I could.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a Dip Pak, mig only

Post Thanks / Like

Too much $$$ in my opinion. Where do you get drive rolls and other parts?

Post Thanks / Like

Welder Dave, what do you think would be a fair price?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe $300 if it's in good shape and works properly. Parts down the road could be a problem though. Do you have any pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s what I could screenshot off of the listing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of an oddball machine and not very common anymore. It looks OK but it's probably 30+ years old. It seems relatively cheap for a 200 amp machine and looks like it has a Euro type Mig gun. Find out what contact tips and nozzles it takes. Lenco/Profax may carry them as well as drive rolls and possibly wire guides. If consumable parts are available I think $300 maybe $350 but it's a gamble on how long it lasts till something goes wrong and no parts are available. When Airco was split up some went to Esab, some went to Lincoln, some went to Koike, etc. Apparently it has been obsoleted by Esab but was a good machine back in the day. Looking online they were selling for under $500 in 2007.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 04-27-2020 at 04:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My old boss bought one in 1988 we must have put 5000 lbs of .045 lincore m wire through it still works they just run .035 hardwire now I don't know if there are any parts available

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    It's kind of an oddball machine and not very common anymore. It looks OK but it's probably 30+ years old. It seems relatively cheap for a 200 amp machine and looks like it has a Euro type Mig gun. Find out what contact tips and nozzles it takes. Lenco/Profax may carry them as well as drive rolls and possibly wire guides. If consumable parts are available I think $300 maybe $350 but it's a gamble on how long it lasts till something goes wrong and no parts are available. When Airco was split up some went to Esab, some went to Lincoln, some went to Koike, etc. Apparently it has been obsoleted by Esab but was a good machine back in the day. Looking online they were selling for under $500 in 2007.
    I ended up offering the guy $350 and he took it. Hooked it up before I loaded it into my truck and it worked great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    My old boss bought one in 1988 we must have put 5000 lbs of .045 lincore m wire through it still works they just run .035 hardwire now I don't know if there are any parts available

Do you still have that machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hhowell1990 View Post
    I ended up offering the guy $350 and he took it. Hooked it up before I loaded it into my truck and it worked great.

Good deal. If it lasts 6 month's it's paid for itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Airco Dip Pak 200

Got the machine home and the wire feed speed want very consistent and seemed slow for the numbers posted inside the machine. The wfs potentiometer obviously has been replaced and I’m curious if it was replaced with the correct resistance value, would anyone happen to have one that they could ohm out the wfs potentiometer on?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the wire dragging in the gun or contact tip or the drive rolls slipping? You can measure wire feed speed by measuring how much wire comes out in 10 seconds and multiplying by 6. As long as the wire feeds smooth at the speed you need the numbers don't matter. They just help to set the machine but what would you do if the numbers weren't there? You'd adjust by experimenting. Numbers and dials are just reference points. Every machine will be a little different.

Post Thanks / Like

Airco Dip Pak 200

Is the wire dragging in the gun or contact tip or the drive rolls slipping? You can measure wire feed speed by measuring how much wire comes out in 10 seconds and multiplying by 6. As long as the wire feeds smooth at the speed you need the numbers don't matter. They just help to set the machine but what would you do if the numbers weren't there? You'd adjust by experimenting. Numbers and dials are just reference points. Every machine will be a little different.
    I contacted Esab this morning and they actually still had documentation on this machine. The customer service person I spoke with told me how to check the speed control board for voltage in and out and the voltage out was all over the place which in turn was causing my issue. He got me in touch with a shop that remanufactures boards for old transformer based machines and I got it sent out this afternoon.

Edit. I was basing the inconsistent wfs issue off of watching the wing nut on the roller for how fast it was spinning

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully it's a simple fix. I thought you said it ran great when you purchased it?

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully it's a simple fix. I thought you said it ran great when you purchased it?
    It did. I’m guessing the terrible roads bumped something loose. Still strikes and maintains an arc just fine but I was maybe getting 75-100 ipm and that was maxed out. Thought it was maybe the potentiometer so I threw one on it and the issue persisted that’s when I called esab.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hhowell1990 View Post
    Do you still have that machine?

I do not but I think my old bosses son does

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Hobart Beta Mig 200...probably just as old (bought it new).
    Had erratic feed issue. Lower speeds were iffy. Higher speeds seemed to be better. Turned out to be permanent magnet drive motor-glue for one of the magnets let loose and magnet was sticking to/riding on the armature. Cleaned it up, put epoxy on it and spaced it evenly back in housing.
    She’s still running- just played with it again today.
    Last edited by labparamour; 04-29-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labparamour View Post
    I have a Hobart Beta Mig 200...probably just as old (bought it new).
    Had erratic feed issue. Lower speeds were iffy. Higher speeds seemed to be better. Turned out to be permanent magnet drive motor-glue for one of the magnets let loose and magnet was sticking to/riding on the armature. Cleaned it up, put epoxy on it and spaced it evenly back in housing.
    She’s still running- just played with it again today.
    I used to have a beta mig. I wanna say it was a 225 or 250, might have been a 200 and that thing was an absolute tank. Esab still supports the airco brand to an extent and one of their customer service representatives told me how to check voltage out on the speed control board and it was all over the place

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one of those! It's always worked great for Me...

Name:  20200429_152041.jpg
Views: 2796
Size:  206.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Update: got the board back from York electronics yesterday and got the thing fired up and it welds great.

Post Thanks / Like

Great. What did the board cost to repair?

Post Thanks / Like

Great. What did the board cost to repair?
    $85 including shipping

Post Thanks / Like

Good deal, you should have a good machine now for many years.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist