Thread: Need Help: Blue Star 180E

Post Thanks / Like

Need Help: Blue Star 180E

Will try to be brief. My Blue Star 180E problem Welding output is high (max amps) and not responding to amperage control.

I have conducted all the test procedures I can find using the Owners manual and the Technical manual. I will attempt to attach documentation to show my test findings.

The condition is this in the end after all my testing: Welder will only function at full 180+ Amp output. When the CR1 relay is by-passed (see attachments to understand this) the welder is operating only at the minimum output 40-50 Amps.

I hope some of you experienced people here may have had to repair the same or similar condition, and hopefully it will not require replacing the PC1 or the CT2.

Thank you for your time

PS. All voltages in the table of the tech doc checked ok except the ones indicated in my testing
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Help: Blue Star 180E

carefully remove the field current pcb. mark all wires. Get a magnifying glass and look at the back and front of the pcb.
    Look for lines and cracks in any of the solder connections and circuits. You might want to solder all the connection tabs back on the pcb. Seen these pcbs fail with cracks. quick re-soldering and all the strange problems go away. Cr1 is a voltage sensing relay.
    must have ocv for cr1 to have voltage. Diode bridges also must be good. CT2 test is just use an ohm meter and make sure no coils are open.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I will give the pcb a more thorough look over. I did check all the diodes, but another testing can't hurt. In your experience would the welder be capable of generating the max amperage if the CT2 was inoperative? I agree the test only checks for continuity, but is it possible that coils may be short circuited, and if so wouldn't that show as overheating to the coils? Thanks again for your time and replying to my post.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ccawgc for your reply, I re-checked the field current PC1 board & It checked ok. I noticed that there was three capacitors (240uf 200VDC part#087110) mounted in the control box. One of those failed a capacitance test, when replaced the unit worked fine.

Something to check if anyone is having a similar problem with a BS180 unit.