+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1941 Lincoln sa-200 short hood

Post Thanks / Like

1941 Lincoln sa-200 short hood

I have the opportunity to get a 1941 short hood sa 200 for $400, the man said he had it running then the mag (magneto?) lost spark.
    What's the prognosis doc? I'm a class of 2020 graduate, I don't know what'd take to get this thing running again but I know basic mechanics.
    I'm having trouble finding parts so I can estimate how much it'll cost to fix. The post says it has a Hercules engine, about how much would it be to
    try to swap engines or do I need to see if it'll run if I replace the mag and then put new gaskets, oil, coolant etc. He says he has everything for the machine,
    it was partially disassembled I don't know why if the mag was the only thing needed fixing. What do y'all thing? Hop on it or leave it be? I'll do my best to supply the info needed for questions on my end.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1941 Lincoln sa-200 short hood

If it’s isn’t all beat to hell , I would take it , parts alone are worth more than that

Post Thanks / Like

Leave it.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipeliner View Post
    Leave it.
    Why would you leave it?

Post Thanks / Like

Where could I get replacement parts for it if I decided to rebuild it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPipeWella View Post
    Where could I get replacement parts for it if I decided to rebuild it?
    Unless you have a parts machine to cannibalize, you're not going to just go buy parts for it. Those very early 200's are totally different animals than the stuff that came along post 46'ish.

Go have a read here on this 7 year old thread if you want to see how much fun it will be:

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...00-Restoration

Better off spending money on something built 1949 or later.

JMHO

Post Thanks / Like

So unless I can find another parts machine I can't fix the magneto? If the donor's magneto works.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to bet if you're patient and search the right places you can find those parts. Hercules engines were very popular on farm equipment in that era.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you want it to use as a machine for work or just think it would be cool to have an old short hood? Having one would be cool but I wouldn't have one to make my living with. The entire machine may have to be completely disassembled and wiring replaced and re-insulated etc., etc. It could be a years long project and get expensive. If you want an older SA200 look for a red face. They're generally the best overall for 6010 or 7018 of the SA200's. Parts are more readily available too.

10. Likes Pipeliner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Do you want it to use as a machine for work or just think it would be cool to have an old short hood? Having one would be cool but I wouldn't have one to make my living with. The entire machine may have to be completely disassembled and wiring replaced and re-insulated etc., etc. It could be a years long project and get expensive. If you want an older SA200 look for a red face. They're generally the best overall for 6010 or 7018 of the SA200's. Parts are more readily available too.
    I'm not thinking that if I get this machine I'll be able to go mainline. Trust me I'm not gonna jump in that puddle with both feet, I'm looking for a motor driven welder that will work long enough to make a little money on piddley jobs. The only rods id be using would be up to 1/8th 6010 and that'd be for welding thin metal, and 3/32 for any kind of structure or repair job that needs to hold up to shock or weight like trailers or if some farm equipment breaks. I'd probably use some 6011 and 6013 too but I'm more familiar with 6010 and 7018. But basically I need a "beater" that will run beads long enough to get by so I can upgrade. I was told it was running and welding till the magneto went out, but if that's all that's wrong with it why didn't the owner fix it? I plan on talking to him in person to discuss the details on the machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPipeWella View Post
    But basically I need a "beater" that will run beads long enough to get by so I can upgrade.
    Sound like a perfect candidate for a Miller Bobcat. You're not going to run any power tools off that old machine. You'll have more in just buying the machine and fixing the magneto than you will finding a Bobcat with 1000 hrs.

Look, I'm not trying to pee in your Wheaties, but you should be open minded and look at other options. You're going to be in way over your head trying to get that thing up and going. Could you? Probably. But do you want to be a welder or a mechanic? Good luck whatever you decide.

Post Thanks / Like

That is NOT the machine for you. You don't buy an old SA200 as a beater machine to get by until you can get something better. It will cost a lot more than finding a better machine for your needs. Do you want to be welding next week or in the next 2 years? You answered your own question, if it was a simple fix why didn't the owner fix it? A Miller Bobcat or an older Legend with a power plant would be a lot better option. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience. 3/32" is smaller than 1/8". Forget that 6013 even exists and please don't be welding on trailers people will pull down the highway until you get some more experience. Having ambition is good but you have to know your limitations. Right now might be a good time to look for a machine as a lot of people are short on money because they can't work.

Post Thanks / Like

My bad I didn't include the 7018 after the 3/32 I tend to think faster than I type, I appreciate the comment. I have pretty much come to the same conclusion about the machine now after I've researched into it more thanks to the internet this site and connections. I see how much of a headache it'd be to try to get it going considering the parts are as common as the machines themselves, that is probably why its up for $400. I know I'm young and don't know much, especially about how the welding machines function mechanically. I see now that welding machines are more complicated than I even thought they were. I probably am overly ambitious and don't know my limitations, but you can do anything if you put your mind to it. I just assumed that parts would have been at little more common than they are since it's a Lincoln Sa. As for my welding experience if you're curious look at Panola College's most recent welding competition.

Post Thanks / Like

i would get the welder , just to restore in your spare time and over a period of time, i would also get another welder like the other fellas say to use to start your welding adventure

16. Dislikes Pipeliner disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't waist what little money you have on a basket case welder. Use it to get the best machine you can afford and actually use. That machine is for someone retired who may want to restore it with mega bucks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist