Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greenville, Maine
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    I just bought a medium-duty homeowner Victor set-up. The hoses are old and stiff. I am thinking about buying a set of Hobart hoses.

    Is there an age at which homeowner hoses should be retired? Does buying the Hobart hoses sound reasonable?

    Thanks,

    Roy
    Airco DIP-PAK 200

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    I have used hoses that was over 30 years old.
    I only replace when looks bad, leaks, cut or just tired of longer big hose.

    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by irhunter View Post
    I just bought a medium-duty homeowner Victor set-up. The hoses are old and stiff. I am thinking about buying a set of Hobart hoses.

    Is there an age at which homeowner hoses should be retired? Does buying the Hobart hoses sound reasonable?

    Thanks,

    Roy

  3. Likes irhunter liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greenville, Maine
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I have used hoses that was over 30 years old.
    I only replace when looks bad, leaks, cut or just tired of longer big hose.

    Dave
    Thanks for the reply. The hoses are dated 1997 and are what I'd call somewhat "stiff." No cracking. Probably not used much...stored in a storage locker.
    Airco DIP-PAK 200

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    FYI
    Most hobby work size 3/16" x 20-25 foot bottle size 80 to 120 cm.
    When had shop I used 1/4" x 75 feet the due to the bottle was 337 cf.

    Dave

  6. Likes irhunter liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    northeast USA
    Posts
    9,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Quote Originally Posted by irhunter View Post
    I just bought a medium-duty homeowner Victor set-up. The hoses are old and stiff. I am thinking about buying a set of Hobart hoses.

    Is there an age at which homeowner hoses should be retired? Does buying the Hobart hoses sound reasonable?

    Thanks,

    Roy
    new hoses are cheap for the most part, so if they look cracked and stiff replace them and dont think about it and now you know they are new and if cared for have at least 20+ years of trouble free use..that peace of mind is worth every penny spent..

  8. Likes irhunter liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greenville, Maine
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    new hoses are cheap for the most part, so if they look cracked and stiff replace them and dont think about it and now you know they are new and if cared for have at least 20+ years of trouble free use..that peace of mind is worth every penny spent..
    Copy.
    Airco DIP-PAK 200

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greenville, Maine
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    FYI
    Most hobby work size 3/16" x 20-25 foot bottle size 80 to 120 cm.
    When had shop I used 1/4" x 75 feet the due to the bottle was 337 cf.

    Dave
    Mine are marked 3/16.

    And, I am looking for B-B fittings?
    Airco DIP-PAK 200

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Quote Originally Posted by irhunter View Post
    I just bought a medium-duty homeowner Victor set-up. The hoses are old and stiff. I am thinking about buying a set of Hobart hoses.

    Is there an age at which homeowner hoses should be retired? Does buying the Hobart hoses sound reasonable?

    Thanks,

    Roy
    Too bad you are so far away.

    I could give you a set. I have at least two sets brand new on the shelf that came with welding gear I bought. They will prob deteriorate before I need them.
    :

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greenville, Maine
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    It's an odd world...likely it would be cheaper for me to buy a new hose, with free shipping, than to pay for shipping on a hose given to me by some kind dude in western Canada.

    Anyone have brand suggestions?
    Airco DIP-PAK 200

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Are the hoses grade R or grade T? Grade T is good for propane and all other fuel gasses but is stiffer than grade R that is only for acetylene. 3/16" hose is OK if you never use big tips or rosebuds very often and your hoses aren't real long.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greenville, Maine
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Are the hoses grade R or grade T? Grade T is good for propane and all other fuel gasses but is stiffer than grade R that is only for acetylene. 3/16" hose is OK if you never use big tips or rosebuds very often and your hoses aren't real long.
    They are R. I can't picture using anything other than acetylene for the time being. And, I will be fine with 25' hoses.
    Airco DIP-PAK 200

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Hoses are not all created equal. Some are stiff and hard to manipulate, Others are pliable. It's nice to look at the hose prior to owning or you could get the same thing. I've noticed that the hose on a bulk spool is normally pretty flexible.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

  16. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
  17. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greenville, Maine
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    I've noticed that the hose on a bulk spool is normally pretty flexible.
    You mean, you buy it off a bulk spool and they attach the fittings?
    Airco DIP-PAK 200

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Quote Originally Posted by irhunter View Post
    You mean, you buy it off a bulk spool and they attach the fittings?
    I canít see that being economical unless you wanted a custom length. Precut sets are so cheap.

    Best if you are able to check for pliability of hoses though. On line purchases may be hit and miss.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 05-01-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    :

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside of Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,088
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    There is a noticeable difference between the cheap, Chinese hoses and higher quality non Chi-com hoses. Iíve seen the Chinese ones dry rot and crack within a couple of years, and they tend to be stiffer.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Some hose is more flexible but compare apples to apples, ie/ grade R to grade R. Grade T hose is stiffer.

  21. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
  22. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    1,833
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    They do make adapters or buy new ends.
    I look on Amazon .
    Note I do not though old ones away you may need some day.
    Today a box full and no longer need buy any.

    Quote Originally Posted by irhunter View Post
    Mine are marked 3/16.

    And, I am looking for B-B fittings?

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greenville, Maine
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Retire oxy acetylene hoses due to age

    Airco DIP-PAK 200

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,603,509,479.61138 seconds with 12 queries