Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 116 of 116

Thread: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Decided to use metallic flex conduit to encase the wiring. Got a good deal (naturally, lol) on 1.5" and 1". Not here yet, it's on it's way. You can see the wire bundle on the left consisting of two 2/0 hots, one 4awg ground, and one 8 gauge neutral.

    The set-up (for now), which is obviously not physically set-up. Not all breaker's are in place though. Just saying this is what I will be integrating into the cart for the RPC.

    The top-right is the 240V 1-Φ disconnect box for everything, with an Eaton BR2125 (on it's way)
    Bottom-right is a 240V 1-Φ subpanel that will power the RPC panel (BR2100), and provide power for my other machines via another BR2100 (it will feed my Texas Power Strip)
    Bottom left are the RPC panel obviously (which can only accept 4awg at it's input terminals unfortunately), and the 3-pole breaker for the welder.





    but the most important thing in all of this are these parts which none of it will work without:














































    Now I just have to make the cart for it all. Back to work!
    Last edited by Oscar; 05-30-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    You can or should probably use EMT and connectors or I guess even PVC on short nipple type connections that do not need to be run in flex. I do not care for flexing between equipment that is mounted on the walls. Guessing some of the runs will be like that on your installation. Even the ones needing flex you can run EMT or I guess PVC(don't love it) and change over to the flex with changeovers if using EMT or female adapter if using PVC. EMT in that size you sometimes use EMT connector then a threaded coupling then you flex connector if you can't source changeovers easily.
    Last edited by danielplace; 05-30-2020 at 09:37 PM.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    You can or should probably use EMT and connectors or I guess even PVC on short nipple type connections that do not need to be run in flex. I do not care for flexing between equipment that is mounted on the walls. Guessing some of the runs will be like that on your installation. Even the ones needing flex you can run EMT or I guess PVC(don't love it) and change over to the flex with changeovers if using EMT or female adapter if using PVC. EMT in that size you sometimes use EMT connector then a threaded coupling then you flex connector if you can't source changeovers easily.
    Makes sense, but like the 2/0 wire that I "stole", I got the aluminum flex conduit ridiculously cheap. So cheap, it wouldn't make sense not to use it, lol.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Makes sense, but like the 2/0 wire that I "stole", I got the aluminum flex conduit ridiculously cheap. So cheap, it wouldn't make sense not to use it, lol.
    By the time you buy the good flex straights and 90's there won't be as much savings. It just looks horrible when stationary items are wired with the stuff. I can't do it. Looks like do do and just screams amateur.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Good, because that works for me! I ain't buying no flex straights nor 90's nor nothin. Just the minimum to get by to conceal/protect the wires.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Good, because that works for me! I ain't buying no flex straights nor 90's nor nothin. Just the minimum to get by to conceal/protect the wires.
    Huh. Oh sure flex and no connectors. Seriously. I hope you are kidding. Aluminum flex is crap protection but without connectors is just insanity.

    Your going to put the wire in flex but no terminations on the flex. What the heck is going to protect the conductors going into the cabinets ? What's going to keep the sharp end of flex from cutting conductors. Duct tape !!! LMAO !!!

    Step away from the project and rethink your idea on that one. Lol.

  7. Likes Oscar liked this post
  8. #107
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Huh. Oh sure flex and no connectors. Seriously. I hope you are kidding. Aluminum flex is crap protection but without connectors is just insanity.

    Your going to put the wire in flex but no terminations on the flex. What the heck is going to protect the conductors going into the cabinets ? What's going to keep the sharp end of flex from cutting conductors. Duct tape !!! LMAO !!!

    Step away from the project and rethink your idea on that one. Lol.
    Yes I'm kidding. Remember, this isn't a production shop. It will be just fine for me. I appreciate the concern.

    I'll find some fittings at Home Depot/Lowes to obviously route the conductors into the boxes.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  9. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Yes I'm kidding. Remember, this isn't a production shop. It will be just fine for me. I appreciate the concern.

    I'll find some fittings at Home Depot/Lowes to obviously route the conductors into the boxes.
    Oh thank God. That was a frightening visual.

    Aluminum flex I could live with. No connectors or all run in flex are about tie for a epic fail.

  10. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Oscar,
    Check out the offset nipples. If some of your panel are going right up close to each other surface mounted they work good as the different cans will always have a little different distance from the wall to center of the knockouts. Where rigid, PVC or EMT straight nipples may not look so hot because of that depth difference.

  11. #110
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Oscar,
    Check out the offset nipples. If some of your panel are going right up close to each other surface mounted they work good as the different cans will always have a little different distance from the wall to center of the knockouts. Where rigid, PVC or EMT straight nipples may not look so hot because of that depth difference.
    I did, but I didn't like them.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  12. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    909
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Yea I don't love them either but when using factory concentric they may help align things. Especially if you may don't have a knockout set to get straight shots where you want them. Sometimes you get lucky and find appropriate factory ones but they are often a compromise from how you would like to set the cans.
    A knockout set can often make the job a lot simpler when you need matching larger sized holes where there aren't the proper factory concentrics. You don't have that much going on so may be fine getting them tied together nicely.

  13. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Finally got time to revisit this. Built up the cage.



    Using 1/8" sheet for the caster mount plates.

    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  14. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    added casters, then had to flip it over. I need to work out some more, it was a chore to flip over this 400lb behemoth. :lol:

    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  15. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Southern CT
    Posts
    720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Please excuse me if it was mentioned previously but what amps at 240 volts (three phase) are required for the Invertig 400?
    If I read the specs right the 400 unit outputs 350 amps on single phase 50 amp input which is quite good so should be very efficient on three phase.
    Ernie F.

  16. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Please excuse me if it was mentioned previously but what amps at 240 volts (three phase) are required for the Invertig 400?
    If I read the specs right the 400 unit outputs 350 amps on single phase 50 amp input which is quite good so should be very efficient on three phase.
    36A on 230V 3-Φ input power. So at 240V 3-Φ input power should be just tiny smidge less, perhaps 34-35A, for the full 400A welding amperage output.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

    HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

  17. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside of Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,088
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

    That cage looks pretty stout!

    I went the cheap route and just installed the casters directly to the converter frame. In my instance, it's installed in my generator room so there is not much traffic near it.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,603,236,324.54654 seconds with 14 queries