Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are drill doctors so underwhelming????

Post Thanks / Like

Why are drill doctors so underwhelming????

?? What's going on? Why are these machines that are supposed to a sharpen drill bits so hard to use, don't do a good job, sharpen inaccurately, sometimes it's more dull than before I tried to sharpen it, these people are ridiculous for selling a product that doesn't even work.

I can sharpen bits better by hand most of the time.

Somebody should fire them

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are drill doctors so underwhelming????

Made in china???

Post Thanks / Like

Mine works pretty good, maybe you're not doing it right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    ?? What's going on? Why are these machines that are supposed to a sharpen drill bits so hard to use, don't do a good job, sharpen inaccurately, sometimes it's more dull than before I tried to sharpen it, these people are ridiculous for selling a product that doesn't even work.

I can sharpen bits better by hand most of the time.

Somebody should fire them
    read the directions....I have one and it works great , I have sharpened hundreds of dull bits.....I set it up and do 30 or 40 at a time, it does take time to get use to it but once you get the hang of it , it works well..if you only do 1 or 2 bits at a time you never develop a system for sharpening....for small bits you use the fine diamond wheel and larger bits the course one..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    Mine works pretty good, maybe you're not doing it right?
    Perhaps I should be looking inwardly and not blaming the company, lol, I just felt like ranting

Honestly it's hit or miss, which one do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

You do realize a good welder don't need no stinkin' drill bit. They can cut a more accurate hole with a torch.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one, don't like it either.

I read the directions, used it and produced good sharp bits...but not always.
    Still don't like it and use the belt sander instead, seconds instead of minutes and I know it'll be sharp and it'll cut

On the drill doctor, sometimes the clearance angle isn't steep enough so the sharp drill bit won't cut.
    On occasion I've had to set it for max clearance to get it to cut.

Could be my fault, could be the tool...still don't like it.
    Eventually relegated it the shelf, where it belongs....
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

8. Likes ishuum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drill-Point...wAAOSwHF1cI8Bx and a bench grinder with a well taken care of wheel is way faster than a drill doctor ( I am not knocking them, they have their place ) I have 2 drill doctors and never use them . Its just faster to sharpen bits by hand using a gage . There is a trick to grinding though. Once you master how to grind one it is very fast.

I will do my best to describe how to grind a bit. The gage is used to make sure you are in the center and have the correct angle on both sides of the drill point.

Start the grind by positioning one side of the point horizontal to the grinding wheel. start grinding at the cutting edge and role the bit away from the cutting edge removing the relief metal. Do no more than 2 grinds on one side of the point then go to the other side . Then check it with the gage . Fine tune it as per the gage directs you to. Make sure you grind the relief back at the same time or you will hit the relief before you contact the point when drilling. Once you master it you can sharpen a bit in about 1 minute . On broken bits I can reestablish a new point in about 5 minutes or less depending on the size of the bit.

It is well worth the hr or so it will take to perfect your grinding tehneque . It will pay many hrs over your career.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one. I got it to sharpen larger bits up to .75 inch for lathe work. It does take a while to sharpen larger bits, i did not realize that at the time. about 15min. They had really good customer service, may still be good. They would talk you through the process on the phone. By the sound they could tell you what you needed to do.

I was also not sure when the wheel wore out, even though the sent me 2 free wheels i never replaced the original. They also sale a coarse wheel. that might help on larger bits.

Reducing the speed on my drill press made more improvement on bit longevity. I don't do much lathe work anymore.

good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I should be looking inwardly and not blaming the company, lol, I just felt like ranting

Honestly it's hit or miss, which one do you have?
    I bought the cheapest one, I forget which model. Are you putting the squeezy line up guide tool in the channels of the bits?

Post Thanks / Like

I just use my "General" metal protractor and set the angle that I want (usually 118 degrees) and then use my multi tool belt sander. Works great. By the time I take the drill dr out of the box I could have sharpened 5 drills already.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

I have had several models of the Drill Doctor over the years. I currently have a 750 at home and at work.

My experience has been that when the collet gets old or you tighten it too much, the fingers start to lean over. That does not hold the bit properly and it wont sharpen correctly.

I have had one burn out when I tried to sharpen about 60 bits one right after another. I have a couple of boxes of bits, sharp ones and dull ones. I wait until the dull box gets kind of full and then sharpen 20-30 at a time.

I have also had issues with smaller diameter and/or shorter bits in trying to get them to line up properly.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

14. Likes TimmyTIG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MetalMan23

. . . Why are these machines that are supposed
    to a sharpen drill bits so hard to use . . .
    DD first consumer machine was the 500SP with .750 capacity.

I bought one <20 yrs. ago specifically for drilling/tapping .250 minus operations.
    .250 to .375 is a struggle to orient for a 'workable' relief angle.

Below .250 is a real workout . . .

Regardless of size - you have to cheat 'advance or retard' the bit in the orienting
    spring tines. The only upside - the stone sharpens well.

DD solved [improved] the orienting problem [current models] with a secondary
    adjustment mode that allows discreet 'advance/retard'.

This is a vast improvement over the 500SP - but still involves a learning curve.

These machines work best by incrementally touching-up a new/perfect bit. They
    are not intended to fully recondition bits - resulting from 'weld shop drilling'.

For damaged bits - old school bench skills is a must . . .

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Mine works pretty good.

It can’t split the point properly for **** and a large drill bit has to be turned like 100-200 times rather than 10-20 they claim.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

[B]

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

MetalMan23

DD first consumer machine was the 500SP with .750 capacity.

I bought one <20 yrs. ago specifically for drilling/tapping .250 minus operations.
    .250 to .375 is a struggle to orient for a 'workable' relief angle.

Below .250 is a real workout . . .

Regardless of size - you have to cheat 'advance or retard' the bit in the orienting
    spring tines. The only upside - the stone sharpens well.

DD solved [improved] the orienting problem [current models] with a secondary
    adjustment mode that allows discreet 'advance/retard'.

This is a vast improvement over the 500SP - but still involves a learning curve.

These machines work best by incrementally touching-up a new/perfect bit. They
    are not intended to fully recondition bits - resulting from 'weld shop drilling'.

For damaged bits - old school bench skills is a must . . .

hth

Opus
    I had one I did last week that I ground down flat and resharpened , it works just fine now. I had tried to sharpen it on a side grinder and messed it all up, so I ground it flat and started over.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one and also found it didnt work as advertised, packed it up for over a year
    I was never really educated on how drill bits are designed but took interest eventually.

One day I decided to fiddle with it and played with the settings and realized how it was grinding incorrect(following manual) at least for the bits I had.

The main possible problem I found is that the alignment jig setup uses some spring loaded jaws which bite into the flutes of the bit to set the bit in the holder.
    this is not the best method to use to align the drill bit in the holder because different drill bits may have flutes of different width and/or spiral which surely will account for the many reports of wrong grinding.

And anything under 3/8 may not align well in the jaws.
    MM 180

Post Thanks / Like

I too found mine to work well after watching the videos and following the instructions. I do find that it does best on 1/4"-1/2" bits. Anything smaller I just buy jobber bits in bulk. I even buy the 1/4" in bulk, I don't really sharpen anything under 5/16" I am NOT a pro. I tried sharpening a 3/8" on the bench grinder and it was a disaster. I need to work on that.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

My father used to have this pivoting tray that rotated around a vertical shaft that was fixed to the bench alongside a bench grinder. In the V tray it had a blade that indexed into the flutes of the bit to set it up for the exact grind angle. He was able to make them like perfect new again. I could get them sharp again but not as perfect as he would, Practice with setting up the bit in the tray was the secret to perfect grinds.

One of these here thingies.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...nder&FORM=IGRE

Post Thanks / Like

I never could get mine to work worth a darn either. It has been long landfilled. I off hand most drills when I need it right now. I have a Lisle drill sharpener that work great, especially for my larger drills.
    Last edited by forhire; 05-08-2020 at 09:20 PM.

22. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a model 750. It works great for smaller bits, say under 1/2. Fast, too. Reading the instructions is a requirement though, as those pesky details matter. For larger bits (where I can see what Im doing) I use a grinder.

Post Thanks / Like

I do my bits by hand, but the best bit grinder I ever owned was the dedicated Black and Decker grinder with the swing thingy built in to it. It wouldn't do split points but that's why we have pilot bits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greenlizard View Post
    I have a model 750. It works great for smaller bits, say under 1/2. Fast, too. Reading the instructions is a requirement though, as those pesky details matter. For larger bits (where I can see what Im doing) I use a grinder.
    Same opinion here. Bits over 1/2 take too long and bits under 1/4 dont bother.
    :

26. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used one for a long time there definitely a learning curve. And way underpowered. if the wheel wears out it will not get something sharp.i ended up getting a darex m5, that was cheap, at a yard sale but even that it is a learning curve and I havent got it figured out. Tried sharpening a bit today. and ended up with using the darex to get the edges evened up after snapping the bit then put the edge on with a bench grinder. need to sit down with the manuel and study it.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

These are the best for drill bits and tungsten...

The 240 works good, I only use the 320 for small bits so it dosent go so fast
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/150mm-6-inch...kAAOSwT~9Wlp7m

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the 500x now and it works good. The previous model I had back 15 years or so ago didn't work nearly as well.
    Gregg
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Hobart Stickmate 210i