+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are drill doctors so underwhelming????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are drill doctors so underwhelming????

I admit (ducking down to miss all the rocks that are comin' my way) that I haven't read much of the posts on this thread. But I do have an opinion (I always do )

I had my Drill Doctor experience, promptly threw the thing in the trash, and lived with buying fresh bits every so often.

THEN I GOT MY ACT TOGETHER, AND LEARNED HOW TO SHARPEN BITS WITH A GRINDER. I regret every duplicate drill bit I ever bought. Matter of fact, I hang my head in shame when I think about them. The learning curve is about maybe half an hour, or a bit more. Get a drill gauge, and have at it. You won't regret it.

I'd give my eye teeth if I could sharpen end mills as easily as a drill bit. Drill bits are easy. Only thing I can do with an end mill is dress the cutting edge at the face. not anywhere around the periphery.

2. Likes distrbd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite Youtuber did a test of several brands of drill sharpeners -

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been underwhelmed. I have had two did not like either (so why did I get two). The first was the smaller version the second will do 3/4". I use the belt sander now but I'm not perfect with it either.
    Is there a tool that sharpens bits fast reliable and works for guys like me that have issues?????????

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 750x I believe. I find it works decent, especially on smaller bits. Under powered but that’s to be expected. I switched to the coarse wheel and haven’t found a need for anything finer. I did have problems with split point bits for a while, until I realized I need to compensate for the way the alignment tongs index the flutes improperly when the point has been split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old 750 model for quite a while, can't recall how long ago. I saved a pile of money sharpening bits from about 1/4" up to 3/4". The smaller bits are not worth the trouble, buy them by the pack.
    I do know guys that didn't like them at first but do after they get the hang of it. Takes some practice and experience. It's not the high dollar industrial unit I would like to have but does a good job for what it cost. Ever dull a bit at 10pm when trying to get a job done?
    Ernie F.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do all my drill sharping with just 6" bench grinder.
    It is fast no set-up.
    My father-in-law gave me Drill Doctor and so slow to use. Did ok job I finally gave it way.

If you close to I could teach you . They make a hand gauge that can help you learn .

Dave

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...ex=3&PC=EMMX20

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-950-.../dp/B086YRYR8K

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    ?? What's going on? Why are these machines that are supposed to a sharpen drill bits so hard to use, don't do a good job, sharpen inaccurately, sometimes it's more dull than before I tried to sharpen it, these people are ridiculous for selling a product that doesn't even work.

I can sharpen bits better by hand most of the time.

Somebody should fire them
    Last edited by smithdoor; 05-27-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

To me these drill doctor's are a lot like the devices made to sharpen chain saws. If you fuss with it long enough, it will likely do a good job. But in the long run, you're better off to learn how to do it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

best video on hand sharpening I've found is This Old Tony's

MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC, victor Oxy/Acet

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    To me these drill doctor's are a lot like the devices made to sharpen chain saws. If you fuss with it long enough, it will likely do a good job. But in the long run, you're better off to learn how to do it by hand.
    You can buy a VERY GOOD sharpener for saw chain for well under $200, I have a FOLEY belsaw unit that was $139 bucks IIRC.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

The drill doctor is a cam made in plastic.
    I would not use drill doctor for screw machines. There ok for hand drills.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I showed my s son how to sharp drill bits on a bench grinder. It took 5 minutes. Now he does not need any drill doctor just a bench grinder.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist