Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are drill doctors so underwhelming????

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are drill doctors so underwhelming????

I admit (ducking down to miss all the rocks that are comin' my way) that I haven't read much of the posts on this thread. But I do have an opinion (I always do )

I had my Drill Doctor experience, promptly threw the thing in the trash, and lived with buying fresh bits every so often.

THEN I GOT MY ACT TOGETHER, AND LEARNED HOW TO SHARPEN BITS WITH A GRINDER. I regret every duplicate drill bit I ever bought. Matter of fact, I hang my head in shame when I think about them. The learning curve is about maybe half an hour, or a bit more. Get a drill gauge, and have at it. You won't regret it.

I'd give my eye teeth if I could sharpen end mills as easily as a drill bit. Drill bits are easy. Only thing I can do with an end mill is dress the cutting edge at the face. not anywhere around the periphery.

2. Likes distrbd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite Youtuber did a test of several brands of drill sharpeners -

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been underwhelmed. I have had two did not like either (so why did I get two). The first was the smaller version the second will do 3/4". I use the belt sander now but I'm not perfect with it either.
    Is there a tool that sharpens bits fast reliable and works for guys like me that have issues?????????

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 750x I believe. I find it works decent, especially on smaller bits. Under powered but thatís to be expected. I switched to the coarse wheel and havenít found a need for anything finer. I did have problems with split point bits for a while, until I realized I need to compensate for the way the alignment tongs index the flutes improperly when the point has been split.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old 750 model for quite a while, can't recall how long ago. I saved a pile of money sharpening bits from about 1/4" up to 3/4". The smaller bits are not worth the trouble, buy them by the pack.
    I do know guys that didn't like them at first but do after they get the hang of it. Takes some practice and experience. It's not the high dollar industrial unit I would like to have but does a good job for what it cost. Ever dull a bit at 10pm when trying to get a job done?
    Ernie F.

7. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do all my drill sharping with just 6" bench grinder.
    It is fast no set-up.
    My father-in-law gave me Drill Doctor and so slow to use. Did ok job I finally gave it way.

If you close to I could teach you . They make a hand gauge that can help you learn .

Dave

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...ex=3&PC=EMMX20

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-950-.../dp/B086YRYR8K

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    ?? What's going on? Why are these machines that are supposed to a sharpen drill bits so hard to use, don't do a good job, sharpen inaccurately, sometimes it's more dull than before I tried to sharpen it, these people are ridiculous for selling a product that doesn't even work.

I can sharpen bits better by hand most of the time.

Somebody should fire them
    Last edited by smithdoor; 05-27-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

To me these drill doctor's are a lot like the devices made to sharpen chain saws. If you fuss with it long enough, it will likely do a good job. But in the long run, you're better off to learn how to do it by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

best video on hand sharpening I've found is This Old Tony's

MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    To me these drill doctor's are a lot like the devices made to sharpen chain saws. If you fuss with it long enough, it will likely do a good job. But in the long run, you're better off to learn how to do it by hand.
    You can buy a VERY GOOD sharpener for saw chain for well under $200, I have a FOLEY belsaw unit that was $139 bucks IIRC.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    ďFreedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didnít pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

The drill doctor is a cam made in plastic.
    I would not use drill doctor for screw machines. There ok for hand drills.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I showed my s son how to sharp drill bits on a bench grinder. It took 5 minutes. Now he does not need any drill doctor just a bench grinder.

Dave