Thread: Longevity Weld Max LC-416D stopped working

Post Thanks / Like

Longevity Weld Max LC-416D stopped working

I have had the unit for several years and only used the plasma cutting function. Recently, I needed to use the stick welder on my tractor. I'm a complete beginner with stick. I managed to burn through half a rod before it died. I now get nothing to work. I was running the machine on a generator and stopped for a second to grind off one of my many mistakes. The grinder was also running off the same generator. The generator came under a heavier load for a few seconds as I was grinding. But did not trip any breakers. I went back to the Longevity and the display was blank. I tried every function and nothing worked. The translucent power button on the back is illuminated and I confirmed it was getting power with a multi-meter.

Emailed Longevity for help and any documents they still have. I was told they could send the wiring diagram and I qualified for 15% off purchase of new unit. But otherwise, no help. Still have not received wiring diagram.

I haven't found much information about this unit and I'm trying to figure out if I can repair it or just need to cut my losses.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Longevity Weld Max LC-416D stopped working

New to the forum, sorry. I quickly realized this should have been posted in the Longevity forum. But now I don't know how to move it and don't to double post.

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing that sets off a red flag is the word--generator

When the generator went into surge it sent the voltage higher then the limits of the welder and over loaded the input power resistors, would be my guess.

Just like having lightning striking it.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Mechanic416, thanks. Since this occurred, I've read about the hazards of running off a generator. Wish I had known sooner. I'll look into the resistors and see If I can identify anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Pop the cover off and look for any loose connections. There are two large ice cude relays at the front of the middle circiit board , do their contacts appear burnt? Is this machine set up for a foot pedal connection if so check to see what position the function switch is on.

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken the cover off and looked the boards over for burning and loose connections. I have not found anything obvious. The relays don't appear to be burnt either. I'm no electronics repairman, but I did test the mosfets and located one that appeared to test bad. I ordered a handful of them and will replace it when they arrive. I don't have my hopes up, but we will see. Thanks for taking time to help me out.