+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking seriously on the HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking seriously on the HTP Invertig 221

I have some questions the forum members may be able/helpful to answer

First short background - I weld thin materials generally, bicycle frames/furniture rarely heavy so an air cooled option is answered (no ruling out a home built cooler some day, maybe).
    Retirement is just a year or two away, I can see myself tinkering a lot, maybe even making some small items to pedal at street fairs
    Current welder - Welpro 200AC/DC - no problems currently, still improving technique and repeatability, been TIGing at home about 4 years (have arc and OX/AC)

Goals for the unit: Reliability (confidence to repair/get parts should something go wrong) - more flexibility on AC balance (current machine limit is 30% EP) and using asymmetric arc control for thin aluminum and TIG brazing. Looking for something "hard" to outgrow (been welding for over 50 years, I know its not possible to not to wish you had "something").

I have looked at many welders, the HTP is the one I keep "returning" to as I like useful bells and whistles and solid reputations.

Now for the question: I have 240 SPh in the garage, I really don't see myself ever needing to run on 120 volt (can't see myself taking the TIG unit anywhere) BUT is the duel voltage machines input regulation "different" in anyway to make it worth the 400 dollar up charge if always run on 240?

I respect any input on , just waiting (I am wondering if a improved TIG221 is in HTP's future) or if I should go another machine route. I am also wondering if they will do a black Friday deal this year as they seem to have been more consistently reducing the pricing.

I learn so much here on the forum, I don't post much as most of my questions can be/and are answered searching - appreciate any thoughts
    Bill
    Central PA

Weldpro ACDCTIG200GD
    Ameco DC stick inverter (replaced old AC buzz box 20 times it's size)
    Airco torch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking seriously on the HTP Invertig 221

When I was researching tig machines a few years ago.... I don't think I found anyone with a bad word to say about them.

I love my HTP Invertig 221 GREAT machine!

However, I am not a fan of their water cooler.

I completely rebuild mine using a Procon pump and electric fan.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

3. Likes wweld, massacre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John T,

Do you have the single voltage or the duel voltage one? (just curious) appreciate your comments
    Bill
    Central PA

Weldpro ACDCTIG200GD
    Airco torch

Post Thanks / Like

I have the dual voltage machine, i have only used it on 220v with the water cooler. I find the welder very easy to use and it works fantastic. Lots of AC features and a very steady arc. Would recommend it to anyone.
    2 Hobart MIG welders, 1 on the gas 1 flux core
    HTP Invertig 221 DV
    Eastwood TIG200
    HTP MIG 2400

6. Likes wweld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks massacre - appreciate your post

to everyone (a bit embarrassed here) I just found a very comprehensive thread (this forum to boot) covering the voltage question 😔 that thread answers that question for me. I will spend the money on a cover and and a few small things and still save.

So now the question narrows to "wonder about black Friday" maybe I'll chance it

8. Likes massacre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wweld View Post

So now the question narrows to "wonder about black Friday" maybe I'll chance it
    Wait for a sale? Never know with USAweld what will happen there. I bought a propulse 220 back last February, a few months later they sold what I received for $300 less!
    To add insult for the price I paid they included about $500 of extras with the same machine, (according to their prices). Will not buy those extras from them nor will I buy any of the things I used to order. Not the same place it was since the original owner Jeff sold it to Stel.
    Nothing wrong with the equipment, I just don't care for the marketing tactics. In the event of any warrantee issues I honestly don't know how that gets handled. I know my local welding repair service would not be able to do anything with the Stel equipment. The rest of my machines are Lincoln, Miller, Esab(Lorch) and they all help me earn. The HTP collects dust.
    Last edited by metalman21; 10-29-2023 at 09:23 PM.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wweld View Post
    Thanks John T,

Do you have the single voltage or the duel voltage one? (just curious) appreciate your comments
    Single voltage.

my transformer Miller 211 mig is dual voltage.

I figured if I had to do anything remote, it would be Mig. tig stays put most of the time.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Wait for a sale? Never know with USAweld what will happen there.
    I think this subject has been brought up before.....

I believe HTP does NOT have discount sales. The man to ask would be OSCAR
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    HTP 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    I think this subject has been brought up before.....

I believe HTP does NOT have discount sales. The man to ask would be OSCAR
    actually it wouldn't be me, lol. I don't know of any upcoming sales or promotions unfortunately.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all reponders, really appreciate it.

John T - thanks!

Metalman21- thanks for your experience, what you have experienced is not the best. if anything its my hesitation (just don't want to throw money away)

Oscar - thanks for all you do !

I was merely indicating I may take the chance on a black Friday event - they did one last year and the year before and I was close to hitting the button. If it goes the other way I look that carma may be pushing me another way, or telling me to be more patient.

Machine decisions are always hard (for me)

Post Thanks / Like

The last sentence.... I went 20 yrs without purchasing an "off brand" machine. Got 3 over the last yrs. No issues. The 221 is nice, but mine sits while I lift tig with esab 161. I have had 3 htp units... fine machines. However there is good competition and lower prices these days. And reviews prompt good costumer service.

I would have no issue considering other machines, that would fit my needs.

I have the unpopular idea, I tend to search for the least amount on machine to fit my needs. I have sold machines with "potential" that I was not using fully.

15. Likes wweld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if you put any value in qaulity tools a 221 will be in your sights. some people will try and steer you into a china machine but theres no comparison. years down the line youll see why
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled
    hobart handler 100

17. Likes wweld, Munkul, Tim9 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will never forget the interview with the fronius rep. When asked,. About the longevity of the machine compared to transfoemer... His response . "It's an inverter". My experience is the die. Miller and esab (Italian made) and thermoarc all croked on me. They were well used, but did not make it years down the road.

From a business prospective,. I do not need a nice quality machine sitting in corner collecting dust.

Post Thanks / Like

the design and qaulity of components makes a world of difference my freind. local welding store has several dead lincoln inverters probly not even a couple years old. cant recall anyone saying their 221 died and certainly not within a few measly years
    Last edited by cornchip; 10-31-2023 at 02:57 AM.
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

20. Likes wweld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It does happen to them all. Ryan feels he was well treated by HTP but he was inclined to sell the machine after he got it going again.

https://forum.millerwelds.com/forum/...esterday/page4
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

all machines break down.

To me, the advantages of inverter welders (especially TIG) far outweigh potential reliability issues.

Transformer welders break down too... they're cheaper to get going again, that's all.

I would absolutely buy a HTP 221 if that's the one in your budget. Far better than everlast or hitbox or any other shonky chinese rubbish.

You can even hear it in the arc on youtube videos sometimes. Jody (weldingtipsandtricks) uses cheap machines sometimes and I wince when he arcs up, it lights up all fuzzy and horrible.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

23. Likes wweld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont worry much about one or two 10yo posts about a 7yo machine that only needs a $500 part. seems like a safe bet to me
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    if you put any value in qaulity tools a 221 will be in your sights. some people will try and steer you into a china machine but theres no comparison. years down the line youll see why
    You are grouping them all together, and that is silly There are quality AC/DC tigs out of China. Saying you know what will happen with everyone of them down the road is quite something....If you would list the the China AC/DC tigs you have used. It might have some merit on arc quality..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

its a never ending no win battle. no matter how junky the machine is ,people still say its good for the money
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

ever see that youtube the guy buys the biggest pos on amazon for $80. probly wouldnt survive 30min continuous use but he says its great for the money
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

My titanium 125 has been on continuously for over a month and has been used about 20 hours per week. Only changed wire and tips. Made about 15k bucks with it in the last couple months. I would pay $200 to replace it.

As arcs go. I don't like the sound of miller mig arc and do not prefer HTP221 as stick welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post

You can even hear it in the arc on youtube videos sometimes. Jody (weldingtipsandtricks) uses cheap machines sometimes and I wince when he arcs up, it lights up all fuzzy and horrible.
    Munkul - I'm grateful, for this comment (your whole post as well but this in particular) I have noted the very same thing over time. The details in the videos reveal a lot for me about how a machine acts. Once I got comfortable with my TIG welder and could break some OxA habits that were holding me back the little details were even more evident. This is what steers me me back to HTP when I think of a possible upgrade.

All - This thread has been helpful, really appreciate all the comments. From my perspective there are fine machines made all over the world, my weld pro has helped (my second TIG first was an Eastwood TIG200) me be sure I'm really into TIG welding. I can do things with it that amaze me and I rate it pretty high. There are quite a few welder's that would meet the upgrade points I'm looking for, my budget is a bit flexible with the exception I know I cannot justify (for home use as a retired guy) a nice Dynasty.
    Component quality is a point I look at, as you all know the cover off tours of the 221 clearly show good components and good assembly - the many references to the "way" they weld by various welders are the strong points I see.

I have been a forklift mechanic for 26 years and a HAM radio op for 40 years, looking under the covers at the build quality is what makes me desire the HTP221.

All at a price point that's (IMO) hobby workable - my thanks for the kind comments - Bill
    Last edited by wweld; 10-31-2023 at 07:54 PM.
    Bill
    Central PA

Weldpro ACDCTIG200GD
    Airco torch

30. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like your no dummy and can tell good stuff from garbage when the covers come off
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    sounds like your no dummy and can tell good stuff from garbage when the covers come off
    Thanks - I'm no electrical engineer, however I look more at the electrical side of welders - I would wager a little many of the very inexpensive machines that do waveforms would look a bit off on a osiilloscope.

I've always thought thats one posable cause of the "ragged" sounding arc. All these machines weld fairly well so I am not one to ditch on them. I'm just looking for something a little extra nice.
    Bill
    Central PA

Weldpro ACDCTIG200GD
    Airco torch

Post Thanks / Like

Wweld,

I think you would like the machine. I’ve had my HTP 221 for 11 years and love it.

34. Likes wweld liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist