Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another electrical shock / safety question:

Post Thanks / Like

Question Another electrical shock / safety question:

Beginner on a Hobart Handler 140 but I have an electrical background (electronics tech in the USN). I am very safety conscious and have a healthy respect for electricity. I always glove-up and turn the machine off every time I need to make an adjustment. Then I see a guy in this Youtube video handling the metal bare-handed while welding (time 1:26-1:40) and I don't understand how he not taking a shock. I have to ask:

- Would you feel safe doing this?

- Do many of you Mig like this?

2. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another electrical shock / safety question:

I can't see your video, but I do all the time. I wear gloves to avoid sunburn. Shock is rare, I only avoid being in a place where I'll be shocked. I consider welder shock to be unpleasant, not life threatening.

My opinion. I'm not saying it should be your opinion.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

4. Likes RoadTrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to worry about, I do it all the time.
    You are welding with low voltage DC, pretty rare to get shocked with mig - can't remember ever having it happen.

Now with AC stick welding I've been shocked several times when damp - mostly an annoyance.
    DC stick welding you can get zapped too - I just haven't yet.
    Tig is easy to get zapped with due to high frequency start and stabilization.

Also unnecessary to shut off a machine to make adjustments to it. It needs to run for the fan cooling anyway.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

6. Likes RoadTrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Road trip, the skin on a human body has a natural resistance to around 50V. Thus, unless your hands are wet you can safely tough lower voltage items w/o getting shocked. Most welding equipment welds at a voltage much lower than 50V.

In Telecom, 48VDC is commonly used to power switching and cell site equipment. Most folks can safely handle both wires simultaneously w/o getting shocked.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

8. Likes RoadTrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post

In Telecom, 48VDC is commonly used to power switching and cell site equipment. Most folks can safely handle both wires simultaneously w/o getting shocked.
    True, but the ringer pulse can light you up. ask me how I know
    MillerMatic 252, HTP 221 w/cooler, Hypertherm PM45, Lincoln IdealArc 250 AC/DC

"I'd like to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Nothing to worry about, I do it all the time.
    You are welding with low voltage DC, pretty rare to get shocked with mig - can't remember ever having it happen.
    Also unnecessary to shut off a machine to make adjustments to it. It needs to run for the fan cooling anyway.
    The kind of info I'm looking for. Thx MinnesotaDave and everyone who has replied.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason the guy in the video didn't get bit is he wasn't making himself part of the electrical path from the gun/stinger and the ground/ earth. If you want to experience it just spit in your hand and hold a 7018 rod in the stinger w/ that hand and touch the work piece with the other hand. You are now part of the electrical path!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

12. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frieed View Post
    So can a lawnmower ignition coil, like when the plug is fouled/shorted, so you take it off and hold on to the spark plug wire.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with what was said above...low voltage (16-28v generally), DC not AC, not making himself part of the circuit. The other thing to remember is the gun is only energized while you pull the trigger on most models. So no need to turn the machine off really. Wearing gloves to prevent shock in this case would be like wearing gloves when changing a car battery to prevent shock.
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

15. Likes RoadTrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    So can a lawnmower ignition coil, like when the plug is fouled/shorted, so you take it off and hold on to the spark plug wire.
    One of the unfortunate ones to experience both
    ...and I've been shocked numerous times by 120v and 240v AC when I used to run propane. Digging is dangerous when people don't put power down as deep as code
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    Been there too. Cursing always follows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
    Beginner on a Hobart Handler 140 but I have an electrical background (electronics tech in the USN). I am very safety conscious and have a healthy respect for electricity. I always glove-up and turn the machine off every time I need to make an adjustment. Then I see a guy in this Youtube video handling the metal bare-handed while welding (time 1:26-1:40) and I don't understand how he not taking a shock. I have to ask:

No, I dont mig like this- or do any sort of welding like that. Id be more worried about no hand and eye protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Especially if you are stripping the wire with your teeth
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick tacks with a Mig welder - just position the nozzle, close your eyes, bump the trigger, move on.

Not a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

If this bothers you, you should check out Allen's channel. The guy is a maestro as far as I am concerned, but his welding without gloves or a hood kind of makes me worried for him LOL

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLV...OoNd7rg1CfnKlw
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    Id be more worried about no hand and eye protection.
    I use eye protection with everything. I had a chief in the Navy who, if he caught us without glasses, would say:
    "They're only your eyes. Go ahead and f**k 'em up!"

I think of this line every time I use the wire wheel on my grinder.

Post Thanks / Like

You can really feel it on HF start on a TIG, but that's low current. Higher frequency really increases the ability take multiple paths to ground. Don't be one of those paths. Get up into radio frequencies and you don't even need to make contact to get burnt. DC is zero frequency.

I always always wear gloves, but just to limit burns and cuts. I usually just use those stretchy disposable aramid yarn ones that are rubber coated, and switch to heavy leather stuff only when I'm at very high amps.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

24. Likes RoadTrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Especially if you are stripping the wire with your teeth
    I thought I was the only one dumb enough to get zapped like that.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

If you hold onto a rod in one hand and the ground with bare hands you will get zapped. Your hand doesn't have to be wet. One of the 1st things learning welding is the voltage won't kill you. The teacher made everyone do this. Several years later I asked him if he still did it and he said no because he got zapped really bad one time. The reason you don't get zapped holding a piece is the same reason multiple welders can be used on the same weldment. Electricity takes the shortest path and you aren't part of that circuit.

Post Thanks / Like

Being wet dosent do much, but when you're sweaty 65+ volts of a stick welder will get you pretty good.

Clean water is an insulator, add salt and you can flow lots of current even at low voltages.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chad86tsi View Post
    You can really feel it on HF start on a TIG, but that's low current. Higher frequency really increases the ability take multiple paths to ground. Don't be one of those paths. Get up into radio frequencies and you don't even need to make contact to get burnt. DC is zero frequency.

I always always wear gloves, but just to limit burns and cuts. I usually just use those stretchy disposable aramid yarn ones that are rubber coated, and switch to heavy leather stuff only when I'm at very high amps.
    If you put the high frequency to something like an ungrounded aluminum hand rail of a certain size the person holding the handrail may not be able to remove his hands from that rail, because his hands are locked onto it and tearing the tendons in his arms. Of this I am sure.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a thread I have going in the welding processes forum on repairing a Century 80 flux core machine. The welder over-heated last summer during a big project. After the unintentional thermal event I noticed a shock from the unit when plugged in, not even on. It still welded so I left it alone (not really a smart idea). I had to get through my project and that required a cross-country trip to some cabins to finish the job there also. I just kept on keepin' on with what I had how I had it.

When I opened up the machine and started working on it I found the hot wire from the input cable had melted in to the wire connection that goes to the torch. The shock I was getting was the hot 120v line back-feeding through the secondary to the work clamp.

Aside from that predicament (a melt down causing a problem) - I have never had a shock from welding with equipment in good maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do get shocked from welding equipment. Get a digital multi-meter and try to measure the voltage. test both AC and DC volts. The voltage amount and whether its AC or DC. Will tell a repairman where to look for the problem, if it is a problem.
    Test at the two contact points you were shocked from.
    Like the measurement is 40 VAC This could be an open ground. On some welders the case will float about 40VAC above ground, if the case is not connected to earth ground. Some TIG welders split the OCV to ground so neither weld terminal is to high. above ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2strokeforever View Post
    Being wet dosent do much, but when you're sweaty 65+ volts of a stick welder will get you pretty good.

Clean water is an insulator, add salt and you can flow lots of current even at low voltages.
    Actually water forms a capacitor with your body and whatever is charged. That is why it is dangerous. It can cause your body to charge in a different way than it would if it were grounded by your feet to the floor.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

It is rubber shoes maybe socks the list goes on.
    But remember it luck on not getting shocked.

I treat all electrical as live and will kill.

I have work with 480 volts.
    Even welding power I treat as it can kill.

I work with power safely since 1960's

Work safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post