Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Mag. Drill

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Mag. Drill

I'm going to get a Mag. drill which brand do you like? I don't want to start a red vs blue ford vs chevy thing.
    I will be using annular cutters 5/8" and 3/4. Probably some twist bits and hole saws 1 3/8 and 2 3/8.
    My LWS Sells Fein
    The brand and models I'm looking at are in no particular order:
    1. Fein JCM 256U cost around $1,500
    2. Hougen HMP 917
    3. Milwaukee
    Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Mag. Drill

I have the DeWalt dwe1622. Been a really good drill. I would definitely look for a 2 speed drill considering the larger size holes you plan on making.

Post Thanks / Like

Hougen here.

Iíve since sold the smaller one and wish I had kept it. Way lighter and more than adequate for my hobby/light fab usage.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of 914 Hougens and a couple of Milwaukee M18 mag drills. The M18 ones certainly get much more use then the Hougens, no cord in the way so moving them around is much easier. The Hougens will cut larger holes then the M18's but most of what we do is 1 1/4 or smaller. The M18 drills are more expensive but IMHO worth the extra. I have chucks for twist drills but hardly ever use them. Have a tapping head that I use with both and no issues in either one. The Hougen's have the swivel base that sure is nice ut ou can get close with the M18's by not turning the magnet completelyand then bumping it into position.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts on Fein? I only ask because my LWS sells them and they have taken care of me.
    Last edited by Reebz; 05-13-2020 at 10:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 Champion Mag Drills an AC50 and a RB65 and an RB45 they are reliable and work great I also have a Hougen 917 and the one I personally use the most an old ancient Milwaukee 4296-1 thats simply a beast (weighs 89lbs) but the guys in the shop do use the Hougen the most and look at me like I'm nuts when I start heavin the old Milwaukee outa its rack...

Post Thanks / Like

Monsoon
    I'm also looking at a Milwaukee. I can get it local, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mwt-4210-1
    I'm going to call Milwakee Thursday and see if it will fill the bill (see post 1)
    I rented one years ago to drill my 5/8 welding table. It was a pleasure to us.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the Hougen 917 is what I'm going to get.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the DeWalt DWE1622 and have been very happy with it.
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Fein bought the US company Jancy, and merged their lines. So Jancys are now made by Fein. I have been running a Jancy 101 for 20 years now, lots of very tough jobsite conditions, and I like it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    Looks like the Hougen 917 is what I'm going to get.
    The guys really love the 917, for me the Milwaukee just runs smoother it might be the extra heft though did ya ever decide?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Hougen 904 and I would buy any other brand.

At work we use Jancy, the new ones, and I am not impressed. Too much circuitry makes it hard to use and we have three, only a few years old, broken.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I have a Hougen 904 and I would buy any other brand.
    Are you sure you didn't mean you wouldn't by any other brand?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Hougen. I've been real happy with it. I bought it used/broken and repaired it.
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...magnet-rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

Not for everyone, but works for me..

https://www.emaxaction.com/nittokohkiwa-3500.aspx
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post

Auto feed is nice but not much for capacity and rpm is awful high to sustain good cutter life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Auto feed is nice but not much for capacity and rpm is awful high to sustain good cutter life

Cutter life is excellent using the Nitto cutters it takes.(coolant sways) Slows down when sensing a hard spot in Steel..Big cutters/big depth go on my Cincinnati Mill. The Nitto Cutters also work in a standard Mag drill. Still love the quick lock stuff.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up a Fein 256. My LWS store got me a great deal. I'm going to use it in about an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Walter is another high end mag drill and they make one for pipe. Metabo also has them including a cordless mag drill.

https://www.walter.com/products/powe...drilling-units

https://www.metabo.com/com/en/tools/...c-core-drills/

https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools...ll-press/1706/
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-24-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post

Nitro Kohki was on the top of my list but I ended up buying a near new Hougen from a member here.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Are you sure you didn't mean you wouldn't by any other brand?
    D'oh!!! Thank you for correcting that.
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

22. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention, the Jancy's we have at work do not have the little pin on the bottom that gets pushed in to allow it to start. It has some kind of sensing doo hicky and it sucks. Most of our material has a good coat of paint, which must be removed most of the time to get the damn drill motor to run. Maybe someone more familiar with the feature can input?
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to get workout find an old Black & Decker mag drill. My first welding job at a tank shop had one. You darn near needed a crane to carry the thing but it was a brute. Supposed to be 2 speed but only one speed worked. Only had to use when parts wouldn't fit in the ironworker. I liked the mechanical ironworker they had. It was a top of the line Peddinghaus 210 Super 20 with a 105 ton punch. Much more dangerous than a hydraulic ironworker but nothing makes holes faster and it allowed you to set the punch on your center punch mark before punching.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    If you really want to get workout find an old Black & Decker mag drill. My first welding job at a tank shop had one. You darn near needed a crane to carry the thing but it was a brute.
    Sounds like my old Milwaukee guys are always snatchin up the Hougens off the tool shelf like it was made of alluminum do that with the Milwaukee and ya better be wearin steel toed boots and a back support belt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    I forgot to mention, the Jancy's we have at work do not have the little pin on the bottom that gets pushed in to allow it to start. It has some kind of sensing doo hicky and it sucks. Most of our material has a good coat of paint, which must be removed most of the time to get the damn drill motor to run. Maybe someone more familiar with the feature can input?
    I bought a used Jancy $40 - it came in a box as pieces and needed some work. I put a new arbor and a few other things into including rewiring it. I tested it on a W-Beam with a 3/8" flange and it worked great. My first real project was drilling a bunch of holes in a channel that was 5/16" and not perfectly flat - the safety reed wouldn't catch. I ended up jumping reed switch. If I'm remembering correctly the manual calls for 1/2" stock before the safety will engage.

The guy I bought it from was a maintenance room tech at a steel fabricator - they moved to Hougen's due to constant issues with the Jancy electronics. Having rebuilt my unit, I do know that there were a couple of redesigns of the electronics, I can't say if the new ones are better.