Thread: marine grade, or just 6061 for "yard art" project.

Post Thanks / Like

marine grade, or just 6061 for "yard art" project.

My aluminum experience to date is exclusively 6061/6063 in T-6 temper, and T-1 (annealed). This has been for mechanical parts where the T-6 strength and weld ability was required, or T-1 for bent tube. I have a project to make a large yard art sculpture for my mom. I know 6061 does well with corrosion and I know how to work with it, but it will eventually powder and corrode on it's surface. This is in Oregon where it's wet 9 months of the year. I don't want it to turn ugly in a few years. It's shape will make surface conditioning impossible after construction.

I thought of using 5052 as it's a little more tolerant of corrosion, but I noticed it's a lot softer. I also don't know about pricing (yet). Is marine grade worth getting over 6061 or 6063 for this application? It will be subject to some flex due to it's design and dimensions from wind loading, so strength and fatigue is a partial factor. I know 5052 will likely tolerate more cycles, but 6061 is stronger to start with.

What common material would you use?

What is a typical cost difference between these materials, if any?
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: marine grade, or just 6061 for "yard art" project.

If you want it to last what about 316L stainless? Pricey for sure but will outlast all of us.
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Miller Coolmate 1.3 Coolant System
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    If you want it to last what about 316L stainless? Pricey for sure but will outlast all of us.
    I suggested that but the budget and dimensions (how much material needs purchased) won't support it. They are OK with it corroding slowly, but I'd still rather pick the best material to delay that so long as it also holds up well structurally.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.

Post Thanks / Like

5086 is more corrosion resistant than 5052.

Post Thanks / Like

You could have it clear anodized to help protect it. Not sure if grade affects that or not. Might be worth a couple phone calls to see.
    -Dave
    XMT304, 22A Feeder

Post Thanks / Like

I polished up a brass foyer at a bank and used an automotive grade clear coat. Its held up pretty good, but not permanent

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk