+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can you do with pieces of filler rod?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What can you do with pieces of filler rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    His ears are straightening out!
    That's the filler!

Post Thanks / Like

So what's rocket science about leaving the short piece stuck in the puddle and welding the new to the old. If your using flux coated brass rod a can of flux will get you thru that.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

3. Likes tapwelder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    I usually tack it to the next piece...............Mike
    That's what I learned from an old timer with very little money.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how to splice that last 15' of mig wire on the new roll.🤣
    use it as filler for TIG or tie wire when ya need something stronger than bailing wire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    Nothing wrong exploring different avenues. Who knows?
    vdot,

Actually you might be on to something there...today the President announced he's placed a ban on high tech companies from selling computer chips to Huawei, and in return China said they would rebuttal.

Most all the filler is made in China these days. If for some reason we can't get filler from China this could be bad until America can start manufacturing filler again. My guess is it wouldn't take very long, but it's a scary thought that China has us by the short ones in regard to welding consumables. Most all tungsten and filler is made in China today.

Maybe you're ahead of the curve?

Post Thanks / Like

It would probably sell pretty good right along with the Harbor Freight nail un-bender
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

8. Likes TraditionalToolworks, vdotmatrix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    It would probably sell pretty good right along with the Harbor Freight nail un-bender
    That Moron Lamp is probably a good seller though! Since someone figured out the Moron Mask, it's a huge frickin' seller.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    vdot,

Actually you might be on to something there...today the President announced he's placed a ban on high tech companies from selling computer chips to Huawei, and in return China said they would rebuttal.

Most all the filler is made in China these days. If for some reason we can't get filler from China this could be bad until America can start manufacturing filler again. My guess is it wouldn't take very long, but it's a scary thought that China has us by the short ones in regard to welding consumables. Most all tungsten and filler is made in China today.

Maybe you're ahead of the curve?
    More like behind the eight ball here with the peanut gallery.

I value coming to these forums devoid of politics, but since it got mentioned...

You bring up a multifaceted matter of fact with your real life example In welding Expendables...For decades our bottom line edged out the American industrial machine by having **** made cheaper over seas to the point we are slowly beginning to realize with The pie in your face realization that this country has been caught with its pants down in terms of how much we depend on China for all sorts of ****. Greed or good business acumen?

Our country is crippled with shortages of ppe, sterile specimen swabs, raw materials for dealing with the pandemic that are outsourced in every country but our own.It is a wake up call that we need to bring all those jobs in production and manufacturing back.

Okay, I pushed that out.

So I have plastic jar with a collection of filler rods leftover after I have cooked my fingers.... i was using them tonight and I like the idea of Shopping for the pin vice- i had very short sections to weld and they were perfect.

I have a sense of humor that is over the top, salvaging the last few inches of MIG wire is hilarious—hardy har har nickerson.

My jar of filler remnants would proBably amount to 6-9 feet of filler rod( a lousy 3-sticks). And yes, a pound of filler rod is only about $7 here, so it seems mindless to separate 2-ply toilet paper to wipe ones bum Just to save money or WAIT, in times of a similar kind shortage. we have revisited how much we waste over here and although we are not rationing toilet paper, I given my girls food for thought and the impetus for this post.

Post Thanks / Like

You bring up a multifaceted matter of fact with your real life example In welding Expendables...For decades our bottom line edged out the American industrial machine by having **** made cheaper over seas to the point we are slowly beginning to realize with The pie in your face realization that this country has been caught with its pants down in terms of how much we depend on China for all sorts of ****. Greed or good business acumen?
    I completely agree, and hoping this will help wake up our county and possibly start to manufacture welding products here again. It's embarrassing that we offshore so much stuff.

But in general I see a possible bad horizon on the future for welders, as I have stated in regard to consumables. I won't say much more because this is really a political topic, probably belongs in the Political thread.

i was using them tonight and I like the idea of Shopping for the pin vice- i had very short sections to weld and they were perfect.
    As long as they are very short it should be fine, but remember if you have only but a few inches and need 1/2" to hold in the pin vise, you only get a couple or three inches. The biggest problem is changing the small sections in the pin vise. Not trying to stop you from trying it, you should do that. You can pickup vintage pin vises cheap on Ebay. Something like a Starrett 162C will do 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8".
    Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 05-16-2020 at 01:16 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar

12. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This appears to me a complicated solution to a simple problem just needing a simple fix.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree, and hoping this will help wake up our county and possibly start to manufacture welding products here again. It's embarrassing that we offshore so much stuff.

But in general I see a possible bad horizon on the future for welders, as I have stated in regard to consumables. I won't say much more because this is really a political topic, probably belongs in the Political thread.

As long as they are very short it should be fine, but remember if you have only but a few inches and need 1/2" to hold in the pin vise, you only get a couple or three inches. The biggest problem is changing the small sections in the pin vise. Not trying to stop you from trying it, you should do that. You can pickup vintage pin vises cheap on Ebay. Something like a Starrett 162C will do 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8".
    Coolio, i made an offer on one...thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I just went ahead and bought the 166c on PRIME with free points I had and will be here in the morning. Has an insulated handle...Thanks for the tip! Besides, I can always use it as a pin vice as designed for drilling!
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 05-16-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

To the OP,
    If you mig weld, you can twist sections of wire together to give you filler for TIG welding.
    I changed out a spool today and had the usual 15 foot left over. Double it up by wrapping it on something then put it in a drill. Keep some tension on it and twist.
    Cut to length afterwards.
    I learned of that technique here on welding web so wanted to pass it along.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

17. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went ahead and bought the 166c on PRIME with free points I had and will be here in the morning. Has an insulated handle...Thanks for the tip! Besides, I can always use it as a pin vice as designed for drilling!
    I looked at this on amazon, can't tell if the bore goes all the way thru, not essential but helpful.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida
    Website

Post Thanks / Like

A short stub ends make nice little wedges once you hammer one end to a tapered flat. Often when I do one tack my connection is out of square. I simply hinge the piece on the tack until it is square then slide my tapered piece in the gap to hold the item square. I can run right over the wedge and the wedge will stop shrinkage then I just snap off the excess. Still not sure what to do with the super little piece left.. LOL

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Use the really small pieces for home defense loads in a shotgun shell they always said welding was hazardous to your health!!!

22. Likes 12V71, TraditionalToolworks liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist