Thread: I need advice on welding/soldering/brazing a particular item.

Post Thanks / Like

I need advice on welding/soldering/brazing a particular item.

I need to be able to "weld" the links of a jewelry chain together. I will use silver, gold and titanium chains. I need to weld one side of the chain so that the pattern of the links is undisturbed on the flip side. The "welds" need to be fairly strong and make the chain section (about 2 inches) stiff. I am not a welder and have no equipment so I am hoping to find the easiest most economical way of accomplishing this. Thanks in advance for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need advice on welding/soldering/brazing a particular item.

I'm guessing you're not a jeweler since you'd probably know how they do it??

LASER ?
    Richard

Post Thanks / Like

No I'm not a jeweler. The 2 inch sections of chain will be repurposed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd think your best bet would be soldering. If you were to weld it (on a budget w/no experience) I'm pretty sure both sides of the chain would become molten, and the appearance would be ruined.

Quickly looking on amazon they sell jewelry soldering kits that come with stand vices, flux, and a butane torch for about a 180 bucks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Not seeing the chains or knowing what you are trying to accomplish, it seems to me any kind of flame would be likely to tarnish the links or get them too hot. You could solder them with an electric gun, which would hold them together, but it wouldn't be super stout for sure. There is a super small welding apparatus available that uses a microscope, but they are on the expensive side. A lot depends on what you plan to do with them and how nice you want them to look. It might be worthwhile to visit a jeweler and ask for advice. I have a cousin who does very artistic work with gold that really looks good. I have never talked to him about how he does it.

Post Thanks / Like

You reached the wrong forum. Even though gold is welded with a torch, nobody here knows anything about welding jewelry. You need a jewel crafter forum. Better yet, you need a jeweler to do the work. Learning how to weld or solder on gold is going to be a very costly lesson and is not easy to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Have you looked into silver solder? You can do that with a good propane torch.

There are plenty of videos showing how to do it on YouTube
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

My shop is below an old school jeweler. He uses natural gas. And orders sheets of solder, he doesn't use standard silver mixes I use. Most chains regardless of size are tubular these days, not solid. Then you gotta clean it. I have watch and talked process with him. Impressive guy, the process looks fluid for him with 40 years experience and all the equipment necessary.

We chatted daily until covid. He often refers to himself as the Maytag repairman, since custom jewelry/repair is dead on his scale. And his clientele is old.

Perhaps, you should make a trip to Nashville. He would sale his shop for the right price.. I am sure you could find the right tool for the job in his shop.

Good luck.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 05-15-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a carbon electrode resistance welder used by jewelers to join rings when sized down. They cut out a section, squeeze it closed then set the sides of the joint on opposite carbons. The current goes on for a second and the gold fuses back together. It was demonstrated to me by a jeweler years ago. it allowed him to do the operation without having to remove the jewels since they could be damaged if heated.