+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hobart TIG welders

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart TIG welders

Given the choice to purchase either one of these welders for the same price, which one would you choose? The Cybertig is bigger, heavier, has a lot more power, has all the manually adjustable features, but it's an old model and parts availability might be getting questionable and will only get worse. The EZ-TIG is a current model, smaller and lighter, but has less power and all the variable features are preprogrammed and not manually adjustable. What do y'all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobart TIG welders

What's the serial number on the Cybertig? Wondering if it crosses over to a Miller machine like a Syncrowave 250. The EZ-Tig is the same as a Miller but only does Tig.

Post Thanks / Like

The picture isn't clear, but the layout of the cybertig looks very close to the layout of their TIGWave 250 AC/DC.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

The serial number of the Cybertig is: KK146627.

I would prefer to have the one with more power and manually adjustable features, but is it really advisable to buy a 20-year old machine? It may work now but what when something goes bad?

As for the EZ-TIG, how limiting is it to have all the adjustments preprogrammed like that? Obviously I'm not real familiar with TIG welding.
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Hobart AirForce 40i
    Hobart EZ-TIG 165i

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on what you want to do with it, the Cybertig is a hell of a machine, it a Miller and I believe around a 2000 model, 300 amps and a monster of a machine and requires substantial single phase power. I would not worry of it breaking down if it works when you buy it and plenty of parts still available. The econotig is small and with that small power and reduced duty cycle, don't plan on any aluminum or steel over 1/8 thick. But if you want something that does not require a 100amp breaker and 2 guage wire feeding it with a smaller footprint then they are solid welders.
    ESAB Rebels 215 and 235, ESAB HELIARC 281i, ESAB ET 301i, Hypertherm 85 and 45XP, Thermal Arc 185, TD 60i, HTP PRO PULSE 300

Post Thanks / Like

I have an EZ tig, it's identical to a miller diversion, the torch has miller on it. The miller cost 800 to 1000 more. I don't see much use for over 200 amps on tig machine with an air cooled torch. At 200 amps a 17 torch will heat up real fast. I have two tig machines, a 200 amp and the hobart EZ 165. I use the EZ165 the most because I get more weld time before the torch heats up. I like simple the best. All the wavy gravy functions on a tig machines are not necessary 90 percent of the time. I have never been limited in any way with the Hobart 165 welding up to 1\4 steel or aluminum. 1\4 aluminum is a little trickier than steel but can be done.

Post Thanks / Like

The Cybertig is a 1999 Syncrowave 250. Serial number comes up on Miller site. That's the machine to buy.

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O353T_MIL.pdf

8. Likes Rondo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kctgb View Post
    I have an EZ tig, it's identical to a miller diversion, the torch has miller on it. The miller cost 800 to 1000 more. I don't see much use for over 200 amps on tig machine with an air cooled torch. At 200 amps a 17 torch will heat up real fast. I have two tig machines, a 200 amp and the hobart EZ 165. I use the EZ165 the most because I get more weld time before the torch heats up. I like simple the best. All the wavy gravy functions on a tig machines are not necessary 90 percent of the time. I have never been limited in any way with the Hobart 165 welding up to 1\4 steel or aluminum. 1\4 aluminum is a little trickier than steel but can be done.
    This was really most helpful. Thank you. I will most likely primarily do aluminum with this and I don't see myself doing anything thicker than 1/4". So if 165 amps will handle 1/4" I should be okay. I didn't know if that amperage was enough for that.

I dallied too long. The ad for the Cybertig is gone, so the machine must be gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum requires more amps than steel. 165 isn't enough for 1/4" aluminum.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist