+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pin Ectomy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pin Ectomy

Hell These old starters are sorta big on current anyways. The Delco on the Oliver makes the battery cable jump when you hit the switch. No kidding!! You wouldn't believe it unless you saw it. Works great, just pulls a lotta power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Least it's doable.

Next decision is the type of starter to replace it with. Rebuilt Delco's run about 350ish. A Lucas runs real cheap at about 150 or so........and it looks shorter. Be easier to replace when it craps out. The parts sites say it's compatible. This is a second line tractor, the good Allis is still needing a motor. I hate to spend a dime on this one.
    DO NOT go Lucas. I've dealt with them on Ford tractors... Pure power sucking junk mostly.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know. I've never had experience with them.

Post Thanks / Like

No good local rebuild shop? Might be better off than one that was rebuilt by who knows who.

5. Likes 12V71, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a great rebuild shop! I bought 3 rebuilt starters from Central Tractor beginning in 1987 for a B275 IH. They seemed to last about two years each. About 1995 I took one to Arthur's Auto, it's still going strong.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

7. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    DO NOT go Lucas. I've dealt with them on Ford tractors... Pure power sucking junk mostly.
    Lucas is known as "the prince of darkness".
    It is the only electrical manufacturer that offers jars of replacement smoke for their products.
    As a teenager I bought a Jaguar XKE, later I had a Land Rover. Ask me how I know about escaping Lucas smoke.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

9. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the starter out, and tested it.

The solenoid is bad. Shifts drive gear, but doesn't close contact for the motor. The motor will run if jumped, but it runs rough, and the Bendix wobbles on the shaft.

I could probably get by with a new solenoid to make it through the Summer maybe. But the motor runs so rough that it sounds like a coffee grinder, and the jumper cable gets too hot to touch.

This would be the second solenoid since I've owned the tractor. Something is eating up the contacts I'd imagine. The starter will sometimes run slow, and sometimes run normal, when it's working. Gotta be something either in the bearings, or...........................................

Post Thanks / Like

How are the brushes?
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    How are the brushes?
    Me, and electrical crap, don't get along Last time I tried to take a starter apart, I ruined it. I was probably about 17yrs old. Never touched one since.

After some research, I found out that this starter is a 35-MT. Obsolete of course.

Was gonna pull the starter off the other Allis, but it's too tight. That tractor is original, and all the hard lines are still intact. The old Allis has hose replacements on just about all the hard lines near the starter, so it's easier to get off without ruining everything around it.

Decided to go ahead and just order a new solenoid for it, and let it ride for a while.

But...............K'kins, sweet thing that she is.....................made a deal on some hay about half a mile from the house that has to be picked up with your own loader WITHOUT CALLING ME So now I gotta try to find a solenoid locally tomorrow Probably be 3 times what the ordered solenoid cost, if I can find one fast

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Me, and electrical crap, don't get along Last time I tried to take a starter apart, I ruined it. I was probably about 17yrs old. Never touched one since.

After some research, I found out that this starter is a 35-MT. Obsolete of course.

Was gonna pull the starter off the other Allis, but it's too tight. That tractor is original, and all the hard lines are still intact. The old Allis has hose replacements on just about all the hard lines near the starter, so it's easier to get off without ruining everything around it.

Decided to go ahead and just order a new solenoid for it, and let it ride for a while.

But...............K'kins, sweet thing that she is.....................made a deal on some hay about half a mile from the house that has to be picked up with your own loader WITHOUT CALLING ME So now I gotta try to find a solenoid locally tomorrow Probably be 3 times what the ordered solenoid cost, if I can find one fast
    Better look again. AllStates has a replacement, and it looks like there’s a Delco that replaces it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    Better look again. AllStates has a replacement, and it looks like there’s a Delco that replaces it too.
    Looks like there's even a replacement with the planetary gear reduction. I love to use those 40 MT gear drive replacements on big trucks, they weigh half of what the originals do and crank better in cold weather. Put one on a drill rig with a 12V71 Detroit that had hydraulic pumps and an air compressor as a parasitic drag and it cranked it right up. The original was a 50MT, but it was a "get it running" emergency.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a solenoid at NAPA yesterday, so I'm just about to get going again.

The original solenoid is a vertical bolt pattern for the power leads. The one I got is a horizontal pattern. Have to make a new strap to make the connection to the motor lug. I was shocked that it was only $19 from NAPA. The original style is in stock, but it's up in Denver, and would be another $16 for freight, and sometime next week on arrival.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  cylinders32.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  184.9 KB The new solenoid has terminals that are clocked different

But, I was able to reform the copper strap from the power terminal to the motor, and we's good to go

Name:  cylinders33.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  187.4 KB Took a while to get fuel flowing properly to the injection pump, then it fired up, and runs nicely. Whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We're all waiting now for the next disaster to befall you and your method of recovery

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist