+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any danger Here?

Post Thanks / Like

Any danger Here?

I want to weld something onto this welding cart project but suddenly realized the bottles would be on the cart.

Is there any danger welding something that may be physically touching a bottle?Name:  7FCB6B5F-5985-4494-A6C5-EF4EDE4D2269.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  106.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any danger Here?

vdotmatrix

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    Is there any danger welding something that may be physically touching a bottle?
    Why are you still alive . . . ?

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

vdotmatrix

Opus
    OKAY OPUS, I don't understand your short snarky responses and if you just like to be confrontational, will you please just disregard my posts.

4. Likes ronsii, Oscar, oldfartrr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

vdotmatrix

. . . I don't understand . . . please just disregard my posts.
    I'm experienced - you are not - swinging at the first
    pitch 'is for the experienced' . . .

There will be no shortage - of 'sage info' forthwith -

hth

Opus

ps -

If you hold your device horizontally when shooting -
    your pics will post vertically . . .

6. Dislikes vdotmatrix, Millwrightdude, Oscar disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like the simplest thing to do is remove the cylinders before welding on the cart. You get an arc on a cylinder and you just bought scrap that has to be destroyed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Seems like the simplest thing to do is remove the cylinders before welding on the cart. You get an arc on a cylinder and you just bought scrap that has to be destroyed.
    thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you are installing your ground clamp directly to the part being welded, you should be fine with the bottle’s being on the cart (presuming that they are both inert gas and not acytelene)

Even if you had voltage traveling through the bottles, I don’t see where it would cause a problem. However, better to be safe and remove them.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

OKAY OPUS, I don't understand your short snarky responses and if you just like to be confrontational, will you please just disregard my posts.
    vdotmatrix,
    oppus ferro is just a troll on here and NEVER contributes anything worthwhile!

I would suggest you click on the settings tab at the top of the page then scroll down the column on the left sde of the page until
    you find the "edit ignore list" function. Enter his screen name exactly as it appears on his comments.
    You will never hear from him again!

11. Likes Dave66, ronsii, vdotmatrix, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

According to his name, Opus thinks he produces artistic works of iron. After his clearly written insults, his follow up comments are so strange that he is the only one that understands them. Has anyone considered that maybe he is influenced by a hallucinogen when he writes these comments. If the comments come naturally .... that is scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes vdotmatrix, Dave66, ronsii, oldfartrr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you...
    Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    As long as you are installing your ground clamp directly to the part being welded, you should be fine with the bottle’s being on the cart (presuming that they are both inert gas and not acytelene)

Even if you had voltage traveling through the bottles, I don’t see where it would cause a problem. However, better to be safe and remove them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    vdotmatrix,

I would suggest you click on the settings tab at the top of the page then scroll down the column on the left sde of the page until
    you find the "edit ignore list" function. Enter his screen name exactly as it appears on his comments.
    You will never hear from him again!
    Thank you I did that last night, but felt rather silly being thinned skinned about this. A lot of this stuff is serious but we all enjoy a little fun now and then...thank you...

Post Thanks / Like

The cylinders wouldn't likely be a problem but are simple to remove. An arc on any cylinder regardless of the gas inside is bad.

Post Thanks / Like

vdotmatrix

. . . we all enjoy a little fun now and then . . .
    Evidently no one on this thread listened to 'Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers'.

Welder Dave

Seems like the simplest thing to do is remove the cylinders before welding on
    the cart. You get an arc on a cylinder and you just bought scrap that has to be
    destroyed.
    'You get an arc on a cylinder . . . ' This is exactly what spawned my response.
    My first welding job was so long ago, most welding was done with stick.

One of my 'co-first hires' struck an arc [E6010] on a full size Oxygen bottle - he
    bought the bottle - 180.00$ in '74. This accident was more prevalent when stick
    was the main welding mode - but if the bottle is remote from anything grounded
    it can't happen . . .

hth

Opus

18. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The cylinders wouldn't likely be a problem but are simple to remove. An arc on any cylinder regardless of the gas inside is bad.
    Yes, i will err on the side of welding...lol cheers. Thanks for responding

Post Thanks / Like

A dent or an arc strike will keep a welding supply store from filling the tank. With 2000 PSI, they cannot take any chances that it wont hold. Visual inspection is a requirement before filling any tank. You might get lucky that they don’t see the arc strike when you exchange tanks. But if they see it they wont let you exchange it and you have to buy a new one.

21. Likes oldfartrr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey.penfield View Post
    A dent or an arc strike will keep a welding supply store from filling the tank. With 2000 PSI, they cannot take any chances that it wont hold. Visual inspection is a requirement before filling any tank. You might get lucky that they don’t see the arc strike when you exchange tanks. But if they see it they wont let you exchange it and you have to buy a new one.

thanks roberts oxygen has a very liberal exchange policy...i guess because they have such a huge volume of business. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

vdotmatrix

Evidently no one on this thread listened to 'Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers'.

Opus
    Those guys were hilarious! I used to listen to them in Texas back in the 1980's.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

vdotmatrix

Opus
    LMAO

Sometimes I feel lucky to be alive. I welded the triple clamps on a quad using oxyacetylene. With the gas tank still on. I used welding leathers to cover the tank. It was my friends quad. He is really strong and the reason the clamp was stressed/broken. He is also crazy. He usually would drop acid or shrooms whenever we went riding but he stood back as I was welding in his garage. He ended up giving me the oxyacetylene tanks and cart. More recently, he gave me a 200 cubic ft helium tank. It's got balloon grade helium tho. Not worth fouling my tungsten trying it.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very good answer that you should heed. If, upon inspection, they find an arc mark on the cylinder, they won't exchange it. It's out of service.....permanently.

If it does get by inspection, you're gonna have to live with it on your conscience ever after. And...……..you might just get that cylinder back sometime in the future

To keep current from going TROUGH anything you don't wanna damage (like bearings, threaded assemblies, etc) you place the work clamp close to the weld area, and between the weld area, and the area you don't want current to flow thru. Also...…..remember...…..when you weld, the entire piece of steel, truck, assembly, etc is energized, and looking for a pathway back to the machine.

26. Likes TimmyTIG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    This is a very good answer that you should heed. If, upon inspection, they find an arc mark on the cylinder, they won't exchange it. It's out of service.....permanently.

If it does get by inspection, you're gonna have to live with it on your conscience ever after. And...……..you might just get that cylinder back sometime in the future

To keep current from going TROUGH anything you don't wanna damage (like bearings, threaded assemblies, etc) you place the work clamp close to the weld area, and between the weld area, and the area you don't want current to flow thru. Also...…..remember...…..when you weld, the entire piece of steel, truck, assembly, etc is energized, and looking for a pathway back to the machine.
    YES, very good. I appreciate this and will remember . THANK YOU

Post Thanks / Like

If the welding supply finds damage on a cylinder, you are responsible and have to pay to replace that cylinder even if it's a leased cylinder. They could charge quite a bit more than the cylinder is actually worth. You won't have a choice. Have heard stories of customers painting cylinders and doing other things to try and mask damage. You could possibly be charged trying to return a cylinder for refill that you know has damage. It is a very high pressure vessel that could do a lot of damage.

Post Thanks / Like

If the welding supply finds damage on a cylinder, you are responsible and have to pay to replace that cylinder even if it's a leased cylinder. They could charge quite a bit more than the cylinder is actually worth. You won't have a choice. Have heard stories of customers painting cylinders and doing other things to try and mask damage. You could possibly be charged trying to return a cylinder for refill that you know has damage. It is a very high pressure vessel that could do a lot of damage.
    THANK YOU, that isn't a concern here. Stay safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Lay a fire blanket over them. Fire blankets are a good investment.
    Protecting the hoses might be a good idea.
    Some hoses maybe thin walled and a spark may cause a pinhole. Naturally, you won't realize it until you find tank becoming empty sooner.
    As stated, a clean ground connection near the weld.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a different opinion personally. If you ask a reasonable question (by his definition), Opus has provided some very sage, practical advice. On the other hand a number of Opus' responses can be described as rather acetic, but I attribute that to him having a low tolerance for people lacking what Opus believes to be common sense. If I look at my personal posts that Opus has responded to I would estimate a 70% of his responses I found useful and 30% made me mutter "WTF Opus??!!"

To me he is just part of the charm of Welding Web. :-)
    Miller Multimatic 255

32. Likes Lis2323, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can only get flashed so many times before it starts to affect you.

34. Likes vdotmatrix liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist