Thread: Thermal Dynamics support,, or lack of??

Post Thanks / Like

Thermal Dynamics support,, or lack of??

I was looking at a used Cut master 51 with a fried board,, manufacture date 05
    Called TD,, they no longer support the 51, no parts available.
    Thats only 14-15 years old and no support?

Maybe it's just me, but I keep my tractors and shop equipment for 20, 30 or more years.
    I had though TD was up there with the best of them,, I can still order parts for my 30+ year old Lincoln Mig.

Slack

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thermal Dynamics support,, or lack of??

Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I keep my tractors and shop equipment for 20, 30 or more years.
    I had though TD was up there with the best of them,, I can still order parts for my 30+ year old Lincoln Mig.
    I think you answered your own question, 15 years is not enough support for a person like you.

Post Thanks / Like

Slack
    You have to remember that Thermal is now under the ESAB influence. They don't even stock current machine parts.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight equipment,,, sad

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    You have to remember that Thermal is now under the ESAB influence. They don't even stock current machine parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Slack
    Maybe you should take a look at the economics on this before slamming them. In the world of electronics 15 years old is ancient. So you want them to:

A- keep around the components to keep making boards and other parts that are outdated or dont meet their current design specs. Who knows if their vendors even make the parts they need anymore.

B- keep enough stock on the shelf to still have spairs 15 years later. That means at some point having invested huge$ into inventory and space to keep it in hoping that people do not just buy the better new model to save the frustration. Especially on a main board that makes up a very large portion of the units value.

In cars or tractors etc, you have a much larger quantity of units you know will need parts and you have a very large number of aftermarket manufacturers, distribution, and retail to help share the cost and space requirements.
    Even then I am having a hell of a time finding a 1st gear for a Ford M5R2 anywhere other than ebay and they used that same gear as late as 08. They just dont break, until they do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Multimatic 200
    Ellis 1800
    Haberle S225 9" cold saw
    MM 300; Spoolmate 30A w/ WC-24
    TB 302G
    Dynasty 280 DX Tigrunner

Post Thanks / Like

Well,
    Not per say slamming, but putting the information out that they drop support at around the 10-15 year mark?

My 30+ year old Lincoln SP mig still has support, From what I have seen Hypertherm still supports it's legacy machines.

I was in fact very shocked that they did not support a machine that is only 15 years old.
    It solidifies my decision on a new Plasma, I was waffling between Thermal Dynamics and Hypertherm. I would be pretty pissed if I dropped 2500 on a new machine that was a "boat anchor" in 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Drooopy View Post
    Maybe you should take a look at the economics on this before slamming them. In the world of electronics 15 years old is ancient. So you want them to:

A- keep around the components to keep making boards and other parts that are outdated or dont meet their current design specs. Who knows if their vendors even make the parts they need anymore.

B- keep enough stock on the shelf to still have spairs 15 years later. That means at some point having invested huge$ into inventory and space to keep it in hoping that people do not just buy the better new model to save the frustration. Especially on a main board that makes up a very large portion of the units value.

In cars or tractors etc, you have a much larger quantity of units you know will need parts and you have a very large number of aftermarket manufacturers, distribution, and retail to help share the cost and space requirements.
    Even then I am having a hell of a time finding a 1st gear for a Ford M5R2 anywhere other than ebay and they used that same gear as late as 08. They just dont break, until they do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well,
    Not per say slamming, but putting the information out that they drop support at around the 10-15 year mark?

My 30+ year old Lincoln SP mig still has support, From what I have seen Hypertherm still supports it's legacy machines.

I was in fact very shocked that they did not support a machine that is only 15 years old.
    It solidifies my decision on a new Plasma, I was waffling between Thermal Dynamics and Hypertherm. I would be pretty pissed if I dropped 2500 on a new machine that was a "boat anchor" in 15 years.
    Pretty much any Plasma you buy will be a boat anchor in 15 years. If you can get that 51 for cheap you can use it as a trade in for $1 per amp. It would be worth $400 towards a new machine even if it doesn't work. Do check to see if they are still doing the trade in. Knowing ESAB they probably cut that old Thermal Dynamics program.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

2500 for a machine over 15 years is 166/year. Not exactly breaking the bank, is it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hyster fork lift(old 1980ish), dewalt bandsaw, snap on right, HTP old plasma(transformer), ESAB 150 stick(Italian made), milwaukee bandsaw. All tools I have /had with non support.

ESAB 150 was bought for 1300, 14 years ago. I replaced it with a new 160 for $450 . 2 yrs ago. Now that is discontinued.

The dewalt Bandsaw 3 yrs old. sold to me without support. No bearing for drive wheel available from mfg.

The snap on was Italian made. The US distributor had one unit and was willing to sale me a pc board from that one.

No complaints, here. Just seem to be the norm with how quickly thing change. Even countries of mfg change frequently. Also, with fluctuation of pricing of material folk could be holding a pc board that cost more than a me a machine. I have a jeweler friend, says he stocks no precious metal since prices go down then he loses money, since labor cannot go up.

On the flip side, my 1960 Bateman(rogers mfg) iron worker still has support.

Post Thanks / Like

Slack
    Have you contacted Innovat ? CLICK HERE
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Ton of companies out there that repair boards. I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to have replacement boards nowadays. AND...…….if they do have the board in stock, it will cost as much as the machine. Go aftermarket repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    On the flip side, my 1960 Bateman(rogers mfg) iron worker still has support.
    I maintain a bunch of Clausing lathes from the 50's and I can still get parts... and what I can't get they will send me the print and I can make the part. I really wish everyone was as accommodating. I'm kinda disappointed to hear TD has gone the way of throwaway. Honestly 15 years is nothing. I have a 151 and a 102. My 151 on the CNC table has been solid. I'll cry when it dies. The fans on my 102 are too loud and I won't miss it.

Board level repair can be a mixed bag without schematics. I sent off two axis drives last year for repair (over $3k)... one came back repaired and has been working. The other boomeranged back and forth several times until they gave up. On the last go they said it has a dead short in a coil that is obsolete... one of these days I'll rewind it myself and see if it works.

Even Hougen told me my HMD500 was too old to repair (which surprised me) but I showed them and re-wound the coil myself.

Get a picture of the fried board. Often most can be repaired by re-capping and changing mosfets.

John, I'm filing away the Innovat link.

13. Likes John T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    I maintain a bunch of Clausing lathes from the 50's and I can still get parts... and what I can't get they will send me the print and I can make the part. I really wish everyone was as accommodating. I'm kinda disappointed to hear TD has gone the way of throwaway. Honestly 15 years is nothing. I have a 151 and a 102. My 151 on the CNC table has been solid. I'll cry when it dies. The fans on my 102 are too loud and I won't miss it.
    My 151 is solidly working away right next to a Hypertherm 85 going on 15 years too Those single phase only large cutmasters have always been solid. The 102/152 not so much in the 1/3 phase machines. The 52/82 are really solid too.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    2-Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 80i +

15. Dislikes 2strokeforever disliked this post