+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on a Good Stick Welder Under $1,000

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on a Good Stick Welder Under $1,000

Hi Guys,

I've done a ton of mig welding but I'm venturing more and more into welding thicker materials as wells as welding outdoors due to the limited size of my garage (planning to do some trailer builds for myself). So far I've been able to sneak by with my mig using multiple passes as well as turning up the gas when I'm outside but I"m getting tired of grinding out porosity when the wind blows a little too hard. Thus, I'm in the market for a good stick welder. I've done some research and it seems most people recommend used idealarcs and used hobart stickmate welders. I've been watching ads and an idealarc hasn't come up in the last 6 months so I'm thinking that's not going to be an option (plus it would be a pain to have to re-wire due to demanding electrical requirements). While the hobart stick welders do seem to pop up used for around $300, I'd like to buy once and cry once to ensure I get a top of the line machine that will serve me well and last a long time. I feel like $1k should get me a really nice stick machine but I'm willing to pay more if it makes sense. What do you guys suggest?

My requirements:

Needs to be able to handle big boy rods including 6010
    Needs to be able to handle a minimum of 1/2" plate in single pass but preferably up to 3/4"-1"
    Dual voltage is a plus (110 and 220) if available
    I'd like to have all the bells and whistles (hot start, infinite adjustment, etc)
    As portable as possible is a plus

Let me know if I need to clarify anything about my requirements and thanks for your help!
    I need to overthink how I'm going to overkill this project.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Miller CST 280
    Miller xmt 350 cc/cv & 350 fieldpro
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI 2019
    Lincoln LN 25 & Miller 12 suitcases
    Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on a Good Stick Welder Under $1,000

How many amps do you have available in your shop now?
    Safety 3rd
    Gump

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 30 amps wired up right now.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Miller CST 280
    Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad you just missed out on a great sale on the HTP Inverarc 200 TLP for around $1000 but it looks like it's off sale now...

You might want to checkout the ESAB 180i, you can pick it up for about $600.

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart Stickmate is a low end machine. You want to weld 3/4"-1" plate in a single pass with stick? Not going to happen. Forget a dual voltage machine. I'm not sure if the machine you're looking for even exists. If you've got the capacity it's not hard or expensive to put a larger breaker and plug in for a welder. Idealarc 250 or Dialarc 250 is your best bet but you could also look at machines that also do Tig like a Miller Syncrowave 250 or Lincoln Square wave Tig 255 or 275. Someone asked about a Hobart Cybertig that was a re-badged Syncowave 250 (need to check serial number). A Dialarc HF just has a high frequency added to a standard Dialarc. Inverters will use less power and are compact but don't know if they will last like a transformer machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thirty amps is marginal, especially if you go with a transformer machine. There is no machine that I am aware of that will stick weld 1/2 inch material in a single pass on 30 amps. I think you need to accept that the common practice is to stack beads at that thickness with that amount of input power. I mean you could probably manage 1/2 inch in a single pass with 1/4 inch electrodes, but a 1/4 in 7018 requires a welding current of ~350 amps. You are not getting that out of a 30 amp circuit and probably not going to get it for $1000.

In your budget, if you are buying new, this is a very good choice. It will weld 1/2 or more but not in a single pass and it has adjustable hot start and arc force.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...der-0700500070
    Miller Multimatic 255

7. Likes monsoon-mech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Pretty robust" Anything you can carry around with a SHOULDER STRAP like a purse ain't a welder, it's a TOY. No AC current (that kills it for me).

Wanna real welder, buy a transformer machine.

Post Thanks / Like

My usual recommendation for a used stick welder is like mentioned earlier is the venerable Lincoln Idealarc 250 or Miller Dialarc250. Those however don’t meet your criteria in all respects. There are inverter machines that will such as Fronius Transpocket and others but not for $1K.
    Before I would do a Hobart stickmate I would go with the old war horse Lincoln or Miller IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried running fluxcore wire when outside? I am surprised Sam did not mention that. That may be a quick solution until you find the right machine.

I had a project outside and bought a roll of fluxcore and practiced with it a bit before I did the job itself. It behaves/or looks a bit differently compared to running gas shielded wire.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

As Louie1961 said, at your budget level your not doing any single pass heavy plate work thats usually the realm of 3 phase machines or engine drive machines, your list of requirements is actually conflicted... your describing work thats best done with a transformer based machine but with features of an inverter machine... that 30 amp circuits going to be the killer for doing much heavy stuff regardless of the machine ya get... if nothing is showing up used in your area ya might needa add travel expenses into your shopping budget

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like 1k dollars puts you in the dead zone per your requirements, Especially if you look new. That ESAB looks nice.

"As portable as possible and 1/2 inch single pass" seems to lean toward engine drive.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I'm clearly a noob when it comes to stick welding and all of the comments are helping me determine what kind of capabilities I should expect at my price point. My miller 211 mig welder can do 3/8" in single pass so I didn't think it would be much of a demand to have a stick welder do 1/2" in a single pass, but it sounds like it is. I've read on here that an AC/DC stick welder is greatly preferred over DC only, is that true? A Hypertherm PM45xp is next on my list and I was hoping to squeeze in a stick welder shortly thereafter but it sounds like I'll have to save up for something nice if the used market doesn't provide some opportunities. Definitely a few good suggestions to keep in mind though, when I move I'll be sure to wire up for 50 amps versus 30.

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Miller CST 280
    Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

You can run 5/32" 7018 with that esab machine. Without upgrading your electrical that's your best option. Most heavier structural steel is done with multiple passes, especially out of position stick. I have the esab 161, predecessor to the 180, and it's been a great machine.

Post Thanks / Like

My miller 211 mig welder can do 3/8" in single pass so I didn't think it would be much of a demand to have a stick welder do 1/2" in a single pass, but it sounds like it is.
    Apples and oranges. In stick welding its all about the size of the electrode that the machine can burn. 3/32 and 1/8th being most common for hobbyists. Generally 200 amps is about enough for any hobbyist. I never really get above 150 amps myself, burning 1/8th inch 7018, 7014, or 7024. The 60XX rods generally require fewer amps. The AC/DC versus just DC is a bit controversial to be honest, Farmersamm not withstanding. You only really need AC in situations where you encounter arc blow. Most inverters do not do AC stick welding, at least not the ones in your price range. If AC is a must, then you are back to a transformer machine, and you might need to upgrade your 240v circuit to accommodate a transformer. The type of stick welder that is about comparable to your 211 would be one of the inverters mentioned above or perhaps something like the transformer version of the Miller Thunderbolt or Hobart Stickmate. They are easy to find used and won't take up but a fraction of your budget. Harbor Freight sells one that is virtually identical inside to the Miller Thunderbolt transformer. But with a transformer in your price range you aren't going to get arc force or hot start.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Before you install a larger breaker like welder dave suggested be sure the wire from the breaker to the receptacle is large enough to handle the extra load.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for a Miller CST 280 inverter. I have one and we have 6 at work. The Miller XMT 304 is another.
    Most prefer the CST for stick but it's only 220 volt. 150 amps 100% duty cycle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I vote for a Miller CST 280 inverter. I have one and we have 6 at work. The Miller XMT 304 is another.
    Most prefer the CST for stick but it's only 220 volt. 150 amps 100% duty cycle.

Just checked some listings and this popped up for the CST 280. Sounds like it needs new leads but otherwise would be a deal? Hopefully not stolen or something wrong with it for that price.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3028484400645/

Others are about twice the price, in somewhat rough condition and further away...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7410392629458/
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8257585984635/

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Miller CST 280
    Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

been using this everlast 200STi PowerArc for several years.

especially like the arc force feature

have used Lincoln tombstone and various other boxes

tombstone a real beast to move

Name:  P1020450.JPG
Views: 2019
Size:  152.5 KB

Name:  6010 button.JPG
Views: 2022
Size:  158.0 KB

Charl

20. Likes Dee_veloper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Just checked some listings and this popped up for the CST 280. Sounds like it needs new leads but otherwise would be a deal? Hopefully not stolen or something wrong with it for that price.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3028484400645/

Others are about twice the price, in somewhat rough condition and further away...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7410392629458/
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8257585984635/
    I’d go test drive that CST on Facebook. It has leads for you to try.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    "Pretty robust" Anything you can carry around with a SHOULDER STRAP like a purse ain't a welder, it's a TOY. No AC current (that kills it for me).

Wanna real welder, buy a transformer machine.

Sammy,
    pretty sure my Esab 220i would change your view. It's 29 pounds and has a nicer stick arc then any machine you have used ever..It's a real welding machine, and yours are toys compared to it..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be testing that $500.00 one.
    A friend paid $1500.00 for one and it is in nice shape. I never saw anything for less than a $1,000.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'm thinking about reaching out and testing that CST 280. I noticed in one of the photos the Miller logo is in black but all the CSTs I've been able to find have a white logo. Could this be some cheap Chinese copy? Looking for anything wrong with this machine at the price point.

Any advice on testing this unit or if it holds an arc it's pretty well set? It's about a two hour drive so I want to make sure this is really a good unit and worth my time. Any idea on the cost of good replacement leads for the machine?

Miller 211 (transformer)
    Miller CST 280
    Hypertherm 45XP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm thinking about reaching out and testing that CST 280. I noticed in one of the photos the Miller logo is in black but all the CSTs I've been able to find have a white logo. Could this be some cheap Chinese copy? Looking for anything wrong with this machine at the price point.

Any advice on testing this unit or if it holds an arc it's pretty well set? It's about a two hour drive so I want to make sure this is really a good unit and worth my time. Any idea on the cost of good replacement leads for the machine?
    Depends how long you need. 200$ should get you a ground clamp, stinger, connectors and 40-50' of lead

Post Thanks / Like

Contact the seller and have him send you a picture of the serial number on the Miller.
    :

27. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes check serial number on miller site.
    Get picture of electrical data too.
    I think they did have dedicated 3 phase machines.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist