Thread: Weld bevel question

Post Thanks / Like

Weld bevel question

Im working on fabricating a new hitch for my truck similar to this one but with 9 holes to adjust the height and with the drawbar centered. Name:  IMG_9252.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  176.7 KB
    My question is, would I need to bevel the 2 bar stock or just the gussets prior to welding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weld bevel question

Beveling everything is always best on this type of work, depending on the size of your welder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    Beveling everything is always best on this type of work, depending on the size of your welder.

How deep of a bevel should I have where the 2 pieces of square stock meet? Welder is an airco. Dip Pak 200 running Hobart .035 wire

Post Thanks / Like

The vertical is a square tube so it will already have a beveling the form of a radius. Just bevel the other piece to match

Post Thanks / Like

I built my own similar, to be safe and I had to have it engineer approved here in Australia.
    I beveled to about 1/16 left and worked my way up with runs.
    With the same size mig I knew it got full penitration and has been good for 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like

The vertical is a square tube so it will already have a beveling the form of a radius. Just bevel the other piece to match

The vertical piece is 2 bar stock and my local metal shop didnt have any with radiused corners. Ill try to find a way to bevel just the 2 where the 2 pieces meet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david.junge.77 View Post
    I built my own similar, to be safe and I had to have it engineer approved here in Australia.
    I beveled to about 1/16 left and worked my way up with runs.
    With the same size mig I knew it got full penitration and has been good for 20 years.
    That is the way I would do it too. Easy to fill with that wire feed welder. Then blend down the welds. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

My fault, I went by the picture and didnt realize you were using bar stock.

If you are only using a 200 amp machine, your first pass will have no penetration unless you preheat the stock.

Bevel the stock as other have suggested, if you bevel too much you loose the base metal support for a good hot weld.

The top and bottom welds will be the most critical so I would weld the sides first for better preheat action. Start from the bottom and weld towards the top.

Post Thanks / Like

My fault, I went by the picture and didnt realize you were using bar stock.

If you are only using a 200 amp machine, your first pass will have no penetration unless you preheat the stock.

Bevel the stock as other have suggested, if you bevel too much you loose the base metal support for a good hot weld.

The top and bottom welds will be the most critical so I would weld the sides first for better preheat action. Start from the bottom and weld towards the top.

What about the gusset(s) its currently got a 1/2 gusset right down the center. Would I be better off going with 2 on the outsides @ 1/4 or. 3/8 a piece?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have to ask it's probably not something you should attempt considering it is for a hitch to pull who knows what down the highway. There is a serious liability issue if it ever failed. We have no idea of your welding ability but based on your inquiry welding sounds more like a hobby than your profession. Buying a commercially made adjustable hitch would be your best option. I would use stick before I used solid wire Mig on a hitch.

11. Likes Dee_veloper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    If you have to ask it's probably not something you should attempt considering it is for a hitch to pull who knows what down the highway. There is a serious liability issue if it ever failed. We have no idea of your welding ability but based on your inquiry welding sounds more like a hobby than your profession. Buying a commercially made adjustable hitch would be your best option. I would use stick before I used solid wire Mig on a hitch.
    Yes, I am a hobbyist, however I have built hitches and bumpers before, this is just the first time Ive dealt with bar stock instead of square tubing. Given the fact that Ive only got a 200a mig machine would I be better off with 1/4 wall tubing as opposed to 2 bar stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hhowell1990 View Post
    Yes, I am a hobbyist, however I have built hitches and bumpers before, this is just the first time I’ve dealt with bar stock instead of square tubing. Given the fact that I’ve only got a 200a mig machine would I be better off with 1/4” wall tubing as opposed to 2” bar stock.

Nah. Just preheat that solid to 400 degrees F., and go for it. That is going to be one solid mutha.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

You would be better off buying a commercially made adjustable hitch. Having to ask how to weld the materials is a clear indication you lack the experience for the application. It's no different than telling someone without enough experience not to weld up a trailer to pull down the highway. If something broke it could kill someone. A big part of welding is knowing the procedures required and your own limitations. Spend a couple hundred bucks and buy an engineered hitch. They may not come with 9 holes for a good reason.

15. Likes Dee_veloper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    They may not come with 9 holes for a good reason.
    Good point.

Post Thanks / Like

Weld bevel question

It messed up 3 times so I quit lol

Post Thanks / Like

Solid bar stock = stick welding

Bevel should be wide enough that a 1/8 rod will easily fit, and go down to the root. No namby pamby narrow bevels, or one side bevels. Make 'em wide. Hit the root hot, and fill out what's left when you've bead brushed, or razor wheel ground, the slag out. Be especially careful at the root toes...……..don't leave anything in there...…..has to be bare metal, no slag.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Samm, on things like this I'm old school, stick welding is what I recommend. I guess that's what I learned on and feel more comfortable with. I know big solid wire and flux core machines are very capable of welds like this but most weekend warriors don't have this equipment. Personally a box store mig welder is not up to a critical job like this. But We all know of guys that have built trailers and many other things with a Lincoln buzz box and a box of 30 year old 6011 rods.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

20. Likes david.junge.77 liked this post