Thread: Weld 3mm thick Aluminum Cylinder with Aluminum Plate 400mm height

Post Thanks / Like

Weld 3mm thick Aluminum Cylinder with Aluminum Plate 400mm height

Dear Fellows,

I have an Aluminum Cylinder 390mm in diameter and an aluminum plate 80mm in width and both has 400mm height and 3mm thick.

I am a designer, my knowledge on welding is limited.
    Important for me is to keep the Plate straight while welding it to cylinder.

Please assist me with as much information you may have on following doubts and any more info that you may provide.

Name:  Al Weld Details.PNG
Views: 194
Size:  56.3 KB

Fillet weld or spot welding?
    Intermittent welding and not continuous, right?
    TIG preferred, correct?
    Filler rod minimum diameter?
    Thickness, length of weld? distance between to welds?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Regards,
    Win_iT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weld 3mm thick Aluminum Cylinder with Aluminum Plate 400mm height

Need some more info. to give some suggestions. What are you designing? What grade of aluminum? How many are you making, 1 or 100's? Does the internal bore have to perfectly smooth? Do you want a weld showing or do want a clean appearance? The more details you can provide the better suggestions you'll get. It's like saying you need tires for a vehicle but not saying what you're using the vehicle for or the terrain you'll be driving in.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-23-2020 at 03:35 PM.

3. Likes Win_iT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave for replying.
    I typed in details, but it said, character limit reached.
    Name:  Al Weld Details2.PNG
Views: 153
Size:  31.2 KB
    In the image, a cylindrical object and plates (Blades) shown is what is under consideration. It is simply meant to compartmentalize the vertical bars. This entire assembly will be put in a drum which will be taking all the load. Will be making 6 such assemblies. I am not sure on Aluminum grade, but whatever will be cheapest and weldable.
    This product does not require aesthetics nor smoothness. Clean appearance is not being sought here.

May you please suggest most common Aluminum alloy that may be used and is cheap. Internet suggests Aluminum 1100.

Basically both the parts, the blades/plates and cylinder which will be welded will be made from same sheet of 3mm thickness and 400mm width sheet.
    The cylinder will be formed from flat sheet and bent and welded to form the cylinder.
    Later, the 4 plates will be welded to cylinder to form 4 compartments as can be seen in above image.

There is as such, no greater load. May be these rods while being lifted, tilt on the blades. So these rods partial load be applied on plates/blades being welded to cylinder.
    Please also note, the cylinder or plates/blades which are welded to each other are simply supported on base plate. As base plate is of Mild steel. And to save cost, mild steel and aluminum are not welded, but cylinder is just supported by 4 plates.

Name:  Al Weld Details3.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  31.6 KB

I am a beginner. And I really appreciate your time, once again.

Awaiting any further doubts you may have and your response.
    Last edited by Win_iT; 05-23-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems a little over complicated to me. You could get galvanic corrosion using steel and aluminum together. Why not make them out of steel if you want to keep costs down and easier to build.

6. Likes Win_iT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

5052 sheet is both easy to form and easy to weld. 5356 filler will give good strength. As far as welding, I lay out the cylinder on a surface plate either with a square and scribe or laying sideways and using a height gauge and clamped on scribe. Then to weld as I use tig, fit plate against scribe line and tack in place 4 places. Weld and straighten as required.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

8. Likes Win_iT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    You could get galvanic corrosion using steel and aluminum together. Why not make them out of steel if you want to keep costs down and easier to build.
    I will take it into consideration, it is a valid point. But rolling 3mm Aluminum sheet seemed easier compared to rolling MS material. The central cylinder with 390mm diameter is rolled and welded.
    Last edited by Win_iT; 05-24-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Added quote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    5052 sheet is both easy to form and easy to weld.
    Super. Material noted.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    tack in place 4 places. Weld and straighten as required.
    Tack on one side or both sides of plate?

Many thanks. This information will help, greatly.
    Last edited by Win_iT; 05-24-2020 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added Thanking note.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Win_iT View Post

Tack on one side or both sides of plate?

Many thanks. This information will help, greatly.
    Yes, both sides.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.