+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acetylene vs LPG

Post Thanks / Like

Acetylene vs LPG

Hey all 👋

I did a search but not much came up, even though I’m sure this has been done to death

I’m looking at buying a new oxy kit. I mostly use it for cutting 1/4-1” and pre heat if material requires it. Occasionally for back yard mechanics too lol

I have been using oxy/ace for the last 10 years and have no experience with oxy/lpg

What are the pros or cons as far as work goes, even brazing and welding? ( I’ll figure out the price differences on my end being in Australia)

Either way I’ll be going with a Harris kit

Thanks
    Serg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Acetylene vs LPG

Propane is cheaper but uses more oxygen so just comparing fuel gas cost is not accurate. Propane can be used for brazing but not for welding. Welding requires a true neutral flame with equal parts acetylene and oxygen. Propane uses 2-3 times the oxygen of acetylene. Propane takes a little longer to preheat and generally (not always) uses 2 piece cutting tips that are a little harder to clean. For preheating with a heating tip propane has the advantage that you don't have to worry about withdrawal limits the same as you do with acetylene. It would be good to check on the availability of different types of tips for propane vs acetylene.

Post Thanks / Like

Propane requires different hoses.
    I would suggest Smith or Victor set if going with acetylene. Made in USA. $232.62

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/317/S...eteMediumDutyO

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/1418/...hcutpropaneout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Propane is cheaper but uses more oxygen so just comparing fuel gas cost is not accurate. Propane can be used for brazing but not for welding. Welding requires a true neutral flame with equal parts acetylene and oxygen. Propane uses 2-3 times the oxygen of acetylene. Propane takes a little longer to preheat and generally (not always) uses 2 piece cutting tips that are a little harder to clean. For preheating with a heating tip propane has the advantage that you don't have to worry about withdrawal limits the same as you do with acetylene. It would be good to check on the availability of different types of tips for propane vs acetylene.
    Thanks for that good info

I just rang my local BOC store. Unfortunately acetylene is measured by volume ( in our case m3) and LPG by weight. So it’s hard to get a cost comparison apples for apples.

The info the guy gave me looking up his charts, cutting 1/4 - 1/2” plate, I’d use 50% more oxy (30L/min as opposed to 20L/min) cutting with LPG over acetylene.

It appears the consumption of LPG is about the same as acetylene for that task.

As for tips, there is enough options for my needs either fuel.

At this stage I might just stay with acetylene 🤷🏻*♂️

Post Thanks / Like

@BD1

I’m looking at buying a complete kit so will be covered for the specific differences between the two fuels

it is disappointing Harris is no longer made in the USA, I’m in Australia. So I’d like to buy something that has local support and backing by a reasonable distributor. I’m not sure the other two are here, and while I have imported many tools etc from the states over the last 30 years, I try and support local where it makes sense. On top of that the dollar is bad atm and shipping is a nightmare ( I have stuff somewhere from Miami distribution centre onwards for the last month , still no sign of it...)
    Last edited by husq2100; 05-25-2020 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Didn’t quote

Post Thanks / Like

Since we all like picks here is my latest cutting and welding efforts. A couple of jigs for my Land Rover build
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Stick with oxy/acetylene. Propane limits it's usefulness for what you want it for. To someone that only heats/torches stuff maybe propane. Nothing wrong with a oxy/propane rig as a second torch setup again if the heating/cutting warrants this but never go without the oxy/acetylene in the house.

8. Likes 12V71, 455dan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty fancy jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Definite saving going to propane from acet. Firstly you don't have cylinder rental and propane gas is cheap - you can get bbq gas anywhere. You use more oxy but still way cheaper. All plumbers used oxy/propane before B-press fittings became the norm, now most don't even carry oxy anymore.
    Many HVAC contractors switched to propane to save cost. The flame is broader for soldering/brazing/welding so it puts more heat into the joint and also therefore more soot too if that's an issue to you, it is for fridgies on copper.
    A mate of mine who is a grazier out west also operates a fab/repair workshop. He swears by oxy/propane, he only uses it for cutting steel. He recons he gets a cleaner kerf using it as well as the savings.

Me I hate it, will only ever use oxy/acet. I prefer the pointed flame for silver soldering/brazing, I get better control, don't waste expensive silver solder and less heat input. I get good cuts too if I concentrate and use the right size tips for the job, mostly I just go with what cutting tip is fitted and have at it. For me if I'm gonna gas axe it, usually I'm not going for IG perty.

Post Thanks / Like

I run oxy propane. I don’t have the high cost of an acetylene tank. I only use it for heating and cutting. A refil on propane fir me is less then $20 and on the 125 cuft of oxy it’s only $40.

I know acetylene is more.... how do I put this... easier to use because everyone grew up on it, but log just takes a different technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    Definite saving going to propane from acet. Firstly you don't have cylinder rental and propane gas is cheap - you can get bbq gas anywhere. You use more oxy but still way cheaper. All plumbers used oxy/propane before B-press fittings became the norm, now most don't even carry oxy anymore.
    Many HVAC contractors switched to propane to save cost. The flame is broader for soldering/brazing/welding so it puts more heat into the joint and also therefore more soot too if that's an issue to you, it is for fridgies on copper.
    A mate of mine who is a grazier out west also operates a fab/repair workshop. He swears by oxy/propane, he only uses it for cutting steel. He recons he gets a cleaner kerf using it as well as the savings.

Me I hate it, will only ever use oxy/acet. I prefer the pointed flame for silver soldering/brazing, I get better control, don't waste expensive silver solder and less heat input. I get good cuts too if I concentrate and use the right size tips for the job, mostly I just go with what cutting tip is fitted and have at it. For me if I'm gonna gas axe it, usually I'm not going for IG perty.
    Actually plumbers have traditionally used B tanks of acetylene with air/acetylene torches for the last 50 years or thereabouts. Long before I got in the electric trade over 40 years ago anyhow.
    Last edited by danielplace; 05-25-2020 at 11:46 PM.

13. Likes Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, B tanks and Prestolite style air/acetylene torches still rule for plumbing. A lot of people think you need a plasma torch for nice cuts but I can do far more precision cutting with an oxy/fuel torch. I do prefer acetylene though because the tips are often thinner and it's easier to see your cut line.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-26-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

yer, there was I time when everybody used acet. Then about 15 years ago plumbers switched to propane, the only rigs that had acet on them generally had a Lincoln or Miller engine drive on back as well and of course HVAC rigs. Then I recon about 8 years ago when B-Press took over and plumbers rigs had no cylinders on them at all. Then you started seeing some HVAC rigs with propane on them gettin around. Changing times.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe acetylene isn't as common in Australia?

Post Thanks / Like

It’s readily available, my mate has no problems getting it and lives at the start of the true “Outback”.

As for plumbers, I’m a carpenter of 25 years in domestic construction. Brazing copper is a thing of the past. It’s mostly poly with hyd crimp fittings, some copper is still used but again a press fitting with a O ring (I think). Poly even has push fittings that your mum (mom) could use. They still do a little copper like mains feed in and our plumber still carries Oxy/Ace but it rarely comes out.

The A/C (HVAC) guys still braze but those bums will use what ever is cheapest ( most of them are pretty rough in domestic)

Another mate is a Fridgie, still uses acetylene.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by husq2100 View Post
    @BD1

I’m looking at buying a complete kit so will be covered for the specific differences between the two fuels

it is disappointing Harris is no longer made in the USA, I’m in Australia. So I’d like to buy something that has local support and backing by a reasonable distributor. I’m not sure the other two are here, and while I have imported many tools etc from the states over the last 30 years, I try and support local where it makes sense. On top of that the dollar is bad atm and shipping is a nightmare ( I have stuff somewhere from Miami distribution centre onwards for the last month , still no sign of it...)
    Harris torches have been made in Europe for at least 25 years. Ireland 1st now Poland. Regs were made in Georgia. Not sure if they still are.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Harris torches have been made in Europe for at least 25 years. Ireland 1st now Poland. Regs were made in Georgia. Not sure if they still are.
    Thanks.

Still better than China.

21. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since all I do with a torch is heat and cut, I stopped using acetylene almost 20 years ago. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. I can make a much cleaner cut, easier to cut rusty material, more heat for rosebud, no withdrawal limits, tips stay cleaner, LP available everywhere even on Sunday, cylinders lighter when empty, LP lasts longer, cheaper, I cut with sunglasses instead of a #5 shade..........

Negatives - You can't gas weld, you can't braze as well as with acetylene.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

You should still use at a least a shade 3 lens with oxy/propane. Not as bad as using shade 3 that I see a lot of people use with a plasma torch. Plasma on thicker material should use a shade 8 but most people don't.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen this as a either or question. I have both on my cart and just switch depending on whether I am cutting or welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Had I seen @Stick-man comments I might have gone LPG, but I stuck with Acetylene and ordered a kit...

I wonder If I can change...lol

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a pro finish always use oxy acet lpg is ok for scrap yards acetylene is far hotter gas and makers for a cleaner cut and always make sure your cutting tip is in good order

Post Thanks / Like

You would probably end up with both tips for the experience, then plasma for cutting. Not sure most folk actually change hoses.

O/A Welding is fun, just too many cheaper, faster, practical alternatives.

I don't know any o/a. Cnc operations using straight acetylene.

Have fun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Woodend View Post
    If you want a pro finish always use oxy acet lpg is ok for scrap yards acetylene is far hotter gas and makers for a cleaner cut and always make sure your cutting tip is in good order

You are the first person to say Acetylene is cleaner/better than LPG for cutting.

And I was a little confused when Stick-man said heating is better/hotter with LPG as others had stated it not so?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist