Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many lbs of hardface wire can you put down in a hour. With .045 Hobart 960

Post Thanks / Like

How many lbs of hardface wire can you put down in a hour. With .045 Hobart 960

I have to do a bunch of hard facing . Thinking of buying a miller 255 and I will be using the .045 Hobart 960.

How many. Lbs per hour or how many inches on the plate per hour ?

Any ideas or tips when hardfacing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many lbs of hardface wire can you put down in a hour. With .045 Hobart 960

You should be able to find a deposition rate chart at the different amperages for the wire you want to use. I know every other Hobart wire I have used has one. Go to the Hobart site and look up the wire. Then when you do just remember that the deposition rate is only good as long as the trigger is pulled on the gun. I would venture to guess you will not get the deposition stated unless you are a very disaplined person. I would reduce that rate by 25% for estimating.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many lbs of hardface wire can you put down in a hour. With .045 Hobart 960

You also need to factor in the duty cycle of the welder.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

4. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I looked at Hobart site didn’t see any lbs/per hour specs.

Looking to see how many amps/bolts on Pulse I should run with .045 wire. The miller 255 has a pretty good duty cycle

6. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you need to worry about pulse with hardfacing. You actually want to limit penetration but still have enough fusion the weld doesn't spall off. You could contact Hobart and they likely have a parameters and deposition chart or could give you an idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I do a bit of hard facing each year. But itís not enough to buy or use wire. I do it with stick.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrich954rr View Post
    I looked at Hobart site didn’t see any lbs/per hour specs.

Looking to see how many amps/bolts on Pulse I should run with .045 wire. The miller 255 has a pretty good duty cycle
    pulse parameters in synergic machines are usually developed with a specified wire from what I've read. If your MM255 has a synergic program for hardfacing wire, then use it. If it only has one for ER70S-6, then it might not be adaptable to hardfacing wire. It's not like pulse for TIG where the pulse parameters only control the arc; in MIG, the pulse parameters are typically (but not always) constructed so that the transfer method is ODPP (one droplet per pulse) but those settings for WFS/V apply only to that wire/wire diameter. Switch wires and there is no guarantee the pulse program would even work.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Call Hobart for the info if its not on their site. Forget about synergic, Hobart gives you the info you need to run the wire. Synergic function is a crutch for people that do not know how to setup a mig machine.
    Last edited by thegary; 05-27-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used stick on farm implement shank shovels and plow shares.
    What are you hard facing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to be hard facing some excavator buckets a couple dozer blade and maybe some of the grouser tracks.

I’m not sure what all the synergy talk is I just want to be able to Put down a bunch of wire quickly and I figured the pluse would be so I can increase the wire feed rate and not put as much heat into the part

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about pulse. Just see if Hobart can provide a parameters chart. It's odd they don't show one because they do for most of their wires.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to be hard facing some excavator buckets a couple dozer blade and maybe some of the grouser tracks.

I’m not sure what all the synergy talk is I just want to be able to Put down a bunch of wire quickly and I figured the pluse would be so I can increase the wire feed rate and not put as much heat into the part
    To put it simply, you can't just "add" pulse to any MIG wire you want just because the machine has it for another wire type. It doesn't work that way. It may out of pure luck, but generally it is not the case.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t see why you can’t just add Pulse you can add pulse any frequency and type you want with Tig welding and you set the parameters to what you want when you’re welding aluminum stainless or titanium. You can melt more wire with out putting as much heat into the base metal.

I picked up the miller 255 and the 960 hardfacing wire will try Sunday welding with it

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t see why you can’t just add Pulse you can add pulse any frequency and type you want with Tig welding and you set the parameters to what you want when you’re welding aluminum stainless or titanium. You can melt more wire with out putting as much heat into the base metal.

I picked up the miller 255 and the 960 hardfacing wire will try Sunday welding with it
    That's what i was trying to get at with the synergic settings but you didnt want to listen. Repeat after me: Pulses-spray in MIG is not the same as pulse with TIG. But it sounds like you already have all the answers and know all about pulsed spray with MIG. Reminds me of another thread I just read......

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain why it’s not the same . Have you ever tried it ? What was the out come ? Just saying it’s not the same doesn’t answer anything. Why wound it not make for a fast freeze puddle like tig ?

Post Thanks / Like

Bigrich954rr

I have to do a bunch of hard facing . . . How many. Lbs per hour . . .
    Noting that Hard Face arc/bead behavior is different than Hardwire;
    this is what you can do with Hardwire.

In an 8 hr. shift [minus 30 min. lunch, and two 10 min. breaks] - I would
    finish a 35 lb. [old standard weight] - load a fresh roll - finish it, and load
    a third. This is what a 100% Duty Cycle machine can do running on Full
    Blower.

Between - arc behavior, position, and bead pattern - your deposition rate
    will be much lower . . .

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain why it’s not the same . Have you ever tried it ? What was the out come ? Just saying it’s not the same doesn’t answer anything. Why wound it not make for a fast freeze puddle like tig ?
    Yes I have tried it on my three pulse-capable MIGs. Using a non-designated wire for a pulse-spray program is not optimum. I did indeed explain it, but perhaps you overlooked it:

Post #7, Fourth Sentence, after the semi-colon: https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...77#post8751177

It's literally right there. ▲

I don't think you are understanding the basic architecture of pulse-spray MIG welding. Asking "Why wound it not make for a fast freeze puddle like tig ? " is the wrong question. In a properly set-up pulsed-spray program it does indeed allow for a somewhat fast(er)-freezing puddle compared to full-on spray transfer. What you are not aware of is that there is a very intricate program already set-up to create the pulsed-spray arc transfer method in the first place; this intricate program is not only NOT like TIG where it only pulses amperage, but also it only lends itself to one wire type/diameter because of the aforementioned ODPP (or similar) requirement set forth by the welding engineers who create the program in the first place.
    Last edited by Oscar; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:22 PM.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

It's hardfacing not a joining wire. Is there some bad water or something that some posters are taking? They ask a question, but keep going on and on hoping to get another answer to match their personal theories. I think if hardfacing benefitted from pulse it would be mentioned in the brochure.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about deposition rates, move up to 7/64 or 1/8 wire, and rent the power supply you need.

Post Thanks / Like

More about out of position welding and trying to figure out what’s the up limit of wire speed I can weld at and not put a lot of heat into the base part.

Trying to figure out why running .045 wire at 800 inch vs 1/16 at 350 would not put down the about the same with close to the same input heat

Post Thanks / Like

Did you contact Hobart?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea the guy didnít really help much he just read from the packaging the same thing I did

Post Thanks / Like

That's surprising. Usually they have pretty good customer service. Here's a similar Lincoln harfacing wire that might give you an idea.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...5-G/c71012.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Yea the guy didn’t really help much he just read from the packaging the same thing I did
    Must of been a salesman. Get ahold of tech support.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info I can work with that. I’m thinking the fab960 might not be the best wire for buckets and digging parts . But that’s what they want and after a little talking it’s what their getting the wire is ordered and I have one roll already.

Trying trying to find the time to start the Welding also pretty Excited about playing with the new miller 255.