+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Alaskan Fishing Boat; New Wheelhouse Door

Post Thanks / Like

Old Alaskan Fishing Boat; New Wheelhouse Door

Got tired of wet socks in the middle of January when it’s subzero...

Wheelhouse door was warped. I suspect it was due to bad design, as the panel was bowed from water intrusion and subsequent freezing.

These doors are real tight on installation specs, 1/16th of twist on the entire frame structure is what they call for.

Had to install a new 1/4” x 2” flat bar vertical frame; adds a bit of structural strength to the door opening.

And of course; we found some bad steel that was a result of a leaky window and door. Fixing that too.

New door is 3” wider, and 2” shorter, so I have to modify the frame a bit. Unsure of how I’ll make up for the deflection - as it’s being installed on a slight radius. Rough measurements show there’s about an 1/8” of deflection on the fore and aft plane.

Bad steel on the floor is getting a 1/4” doubler plate. Overkill; as non of it measured less than acceptable wastage levels... but I like to know it’s done right.

Will add more as I fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you really know all of the work that goes into getting that fish onto your plate?

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Alaskan Fishing Boat; New Wheelhouse Door

Took the old school approach.. usually like to flux core this sort of thing; but my MIG gun went “t” up after the first 20 minutes.

All 7018.

In retrospect; the slots I cut in the floor for plug welds are slightly large, still have to weld those out. It was a scramble; as we have rain in the forecast for all next week.

Had the plate rolled, but it still took some massaging. Odd angles - there’s camber to the deck, as well as slant to the face of the wheelhouse.

Do you really know all of the work that goes into getting that fish onto your plate?

4. Likes ronsii, crab fisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lime seltzer outside, Coors light inside. Only two things I drink other than buckets of coffee.

Nice job. Dry feet changes your whole outlook on fishing. I often wonder how much of the time a fisherman is in the first stages of hypothermia without even being aware of it? I only notice it when I stop moving for a few minutes.
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller XMT 304

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well shiver me timbers matey, nice repair and mods!! Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great and a nice use of the wedges to pull everything together.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

9. Likes pigpen60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crab fisherman View Post
    Lime seltzer outside, Coors light inside. Only two things I drink other than buckets of coffee.

Nice job. Dry feet changes your whole outlook on fishing. I often wonder how much of the time a fisherman is in the first stages of hypothermia without even being aware of it? I only notice it when I stop moving for a few minutes.
    Even though it gives a much better end product; I regretted priming that plate with Dimetcote 302 before I welded... it was a long, hot day (for Kodiak)... and I had a nasty head ache that evening.

Funny about the seltzer, go through a case a day easily when I’m sitting in the chair on the water.

Coors stays at the dock, of course. But nothing beats a beer after 12 hours of shipyard work. My crewman appreciates it too.

11. Likes crab fisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
    Even though it gives a much better end product; I regretted priming that plate with Dimetcote 302 before I welded... it was a long, hot day (for Kodiak)... and I had a nasty head ache that evening.

Funny about the seltzer, go through a case a day easily when I’m sitting in the chair on the water.

Coors stays at the dock, of course. But nothing beats a beer after 12 hours of shipyard work. My crewman appreciates it too.

I have a couple squirrel cages fans salvaged from old stove/ovens. They work brilliantly as an extractor fan for welding smoke.

Same here with the seltzer. I bring fifteen 24 can cases when albacore fishing and usually run out after twenty days. Were a dry boat too, but all bets are off when hauled out.
    It would be a crime to not drink beer in the yard, possibly a mutiny!?!

Thanks for posting pictures. Awesome job.

Good luck, have fun and be careful!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Miller XMT 304

Post Thanks / Like

Got the door installed; had to build up the bottom of the opening a bit.

Working on install some more tomorrow; shimming with stainless washers. All of the steel underneath will get a good coat of paint as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I would NOT like to have to fight that plate like you had to. Only way I could do it, would be on a Monday That bein' Beer Nite……..at least I could have a cold one when I got done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I would NOT like to have to fight that plate like you had to. Only way I could do it, would be on a Monday That bein' Beer Nite……..at least I could have a cold one when I got done
    And to think I was dumb enough to think “man this will be easy - I’ll just get it rolled!”

Post Thanks / Like

Using a level or a square doesn't always work when rebuilding a boat bulkhead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Using a level or a square doesn't always work when rebuilding a boat bulkhead
    Yup. She lists to starboard at the dock; the wheelhouse is slanted etc...

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know, I think I would much rather fight to fit that plate in then I would want wet feet in January and facing all the rest that goes with putting fish on the boat. Nice work Sir.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jeverich, you know Tom Boyer in Kodiak? He does amazing things with metal!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen60 View Post
    Hey Jeverich, you know Tom Boyer in Kodiak? He does amazing things with metal!
    Funny you mention that, I was just given his number for someone that might balance turbochargers - turns out he doesn’t. Is he a machinist? Small world!

Post Thanks / Like

Got it trimmed out and insulated today; 2 x 2 firring strips - and fiberglass insulation. It’ll get a nice cabinet grade laminate eventually.

Another doubler, think it’s the last one! Went to setup the MIG - and turns out I didn’t have the right contact tips. 7018 in all positions on 3/16” steel that’s 52 years old has been a lesson. Amazingly, most of the boat is in great shape, she was flame galvanized after construction... it’s just the problem areas where the issues are.

Debating lowering the false floor in the wheelhouse by 2”... the old owner was 5’ 6” - I’m 6’ 2”... stooping over for the last 10 years has kind of sucked.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, short people are so inconsiderate when they build things.

First house I had was built by a really short electrician. In the woods, beautiful views all around, except I had to duck to see them. He set the windows lower than standard, they went to 16" above the floor and stopped 5'8" from the floor.

So I moved, easier than raising all the windows.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. Keep cutting and patching and eventually you will have a new boat. Think like a fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Never said I was a woodworker... but it’s coming along. Milled some trim pieces from greenheart lumber that came up here from Guyana. It was dock pilings that the USCG discarded.

25. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Modified my salmon tendering setup too.. much more user friendly now

27. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's always something to fix or improve on fishing vessels. It never ends. Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like

Doing a bit more on her this fall:

Started a YouTube channel too; lotsa welding keeping an old fishing boat running!

https://youtube.com/user/jeverich

Here’s a few of the projects I’ve been able to knock out this fall. First time I haven’t traveled anywhere after the season, so I figured I’d go on a diet and get to welding.

Lost 30 lbs so far, and knocked out about 6 big projects... they’d been in the “I’ll get to it when I have time file”...

First one was to replace rotten steel under the head (toilet). A leaky wheelhouse window led to saltwater pooling in the area... rotted out the galvi freshwater piping that ran through the deck, then it just became a soupy nasty mess. Had to rip out the floor in the head, the last picture shows my attempt at flooring and finish carpentry to cover it all back up.

Came in from underneath, with a 1/4” doubler plate. All stainless through fittings, as well as a stainless elbow for the sink overboard.

Second project was a 3” schedule 80 pipe run from our seawater circulation plumbing. Comes in handy when we’re salmon rendering and rock fishing.

30. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Put in a 2” schedule 40 stainless pipe run as well, on our hydraulic wash down pump. Previous owner had installed galvanized pipe, which lasts about a fart and a sneeze on a fish boat.

Played around with stainless DualShield. Awesome stuff.

Finished up with an aluminum ladder yesterday, now it’s on to a stainless mast mount for a satellite Internet dome.

32. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing some stainless DualShield on 1/4” plate, fabricating a mast mount for a satellite internet dome.

Finally sprung for a PAPR, really really like it so far.

34. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That large black pipe flange is beautiful

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist