Thread: Beeware

Post Thanks / Like

Beeware

I haven't actually done any real welding in a long time, let alone wire welding. This was shaping up to be a disaster. I mean...……...pure crap

Name:  beeware1.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  239.6 KB

Stack the second layer to match. Simplifies fitup.

Name:  beeware2.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  227.7 KB

The welded assembly WITH ABOUT 80% DEFICIENT WELDS

Name:  beeware3.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  229.3 KB

I literally was just seeing a blob of light. Absolutely no definitive view of the puddle. All's I could do was drag the gun with "memory" movement. I COULDN'T SEE WHAT I WAS DOING.

Name:  beeware4.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  213.2 KB This was the best of the batch, and STRICTLY A MATTER OF LUCK

By this point, I was figuring that it was maybe the cataracts, or just that I've gotten old, and can't do it anymore. Pretty depressing. I have one eye that won't focus beyond about 12", and the other focuses out to infinity...…...but won't focus close up. Both are affected by cataracts.

I decided that this is maybe the new normal, so might as well straighten the thing, and call it a day. Don't have to see too good to straighten metal

Name:  beeware5.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  218.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beeware

Got everything straight, then cut, and dressed, the final little pieces.

Then a BOLT OF LIGHTNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd forgotten how to weld with this stuff. Flux core self shielding (no gas) wire.

I've always welded while looking BEHIND the puddle. This way, you can see the puddle clearly, and determine what your profile is. It also allows, contrary to intuitive thinking, you to see where the joint is going. You don't lose sight of the joint.

I was welding like I sometimes weld with stick. Looking straight on, at a 90* angle to the puddle. Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 625
Size:  13.7 KB (I forgot that I generally ALSO LIKE TO WELD WITH STICK FROM BEHIND THE PUDDLE). This is what happens when you get old, and forget stuff. Besides...……...haven't touched a welder in a long time......mostly been doing machining.

Anyways...…...back to the last 5 little pieces...……….

Name:  beeware6.JPG
Views: 623
Size:  205.3 KB

Name:  beeware7.JPG
Views: 624
Size:  229.3 KB

Name:  beeware8.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  220.9 KB

Forget the craters...……..I get tired of hearing the pantywaists talking about craters on non critical welds. That ain't the point of this post.

I've gotten back to what flux core should look like. It shouldn't have bigazz ripples, and should look just about as smooth as a well done MIG weld. The skillset is still there Thank God. This was a scary experience (only you older guys will appreciate this)

Post Thanks / Like

I dragged K'kins out to see the welds. I'd been whining about it all day, and thought my days were done.

So...………...got 'er off the table, and set 'er up.

Name:  beeware9.JPG
Views: 620
Size:  203.0 KB

Now for the Back Story …………………………………..

K'kins has been interested in keeping bees for quite a while. Two years ago, I bought her a starter set, but never got around to making a base, and we sorta forgot about it. The stuff was sitting in storage all this time.

I was thinking about this the other day, and decided it was time to make her a stand for her stuff. Something she can use, and remember me after I'm gone. I luv that woman.

Name:  beeware10.JPG
Views: 621
Size:  237.3 KB

Name:  beeware11.JPG
Views: 617
Size:  211.6 KB Just need to maker her a few straps (plates with screw holes) to hold all the boxes together. Then she can hold the whole mess down with a ratchet strap over the top.

It's too late this year to start a hive, but now she's ready to go. I'll buy her another intermediate box, and a honey box, next time I go to town. This will make for a stack of 3 boxes...…………………………….and she's ready to rock early next Spring She can get her queen, and get it going.

We were both in a good mood over supper.

4. Likes pigpen60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Beeautiful ...

I nailed up one of these costco mason ? Bee houses..
    ain’t seen nothing yet though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Watch out for the murder hornets ....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    Fake News.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

8. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I look at K'kins every day, I guess it's my hobby.

We got together about 10yrs ago, and we got together in the Autumn of our lives.

I see every new wrinkle, and I LIKE IT. She has laugh lines around here eyes...……….they're getting deeper...………..AND I THINK THEY'RE GETTING MORE ATTRACTIVE. She's a hoty in a sorta old gal sorta way...…………...and ya gotta remember that I ain't no Spring Chicken...…….we're both getting slightly older every day...………….and she's getting prettier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just gettin' old, and funny lookin' (sigh)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    We thought about this in a very serious manner, cause it's something that's coming, and it's a threat.

We thought that maybe a screen, large enough to pass the bees, but small enough to prevent the hornets getting in, would maybe work.

This infestation threatens our food supply. If you don't have pollinators, you got real problems...……...the entire food chain can fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Go get those cataracts fixed. They only get worse.

12. Likes 12V71, CAVEMANN, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thems might pretty welds there Sammmmmmmm!!! Nice work as always
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
    Go get those cataracts fixed. They only get worse.
    Got mine done 3 years ago next month, Night and day difference. And if your a chicken (like me) they can load you with some good stuff to get past the anxiety. Takes 20 minutes per eye and in 4 hours the patch is off and you can see again. Totally a life changer. At the end I was legally blind in my left eye, 20 minutes later I was counting bolts in the OR Trusses.

Post Thanks / Like

"It's too late this year to start a hive, but now she's ready to go."

Respectfully, NOT true! :-)
    We just entered swarm season up here in Montana so we've started populating new hives with swarms found in people's yards/trees/mailboxes starting about 3 weeks ago. Sometimes the local bee clubs have a swarm waiting list, people looking to rehome, or beeks willing to make a split is another option. I'd recommend you store your equipment outside in it's intended permanent location where local scout bees can find it; and it doesn't hurt to use bait (old used beeswax/comb and/or lemongrass oil extract) that makes it smell that much more like an enticing home. That while you ask around some of the local beeks for a split or nuc (nucleus). There's a number of FB pages that can help quench the reading up thirst like Rocky Mountain Beekeepers, Fatbeeman's group, or our up here is Montana Beekeeping Forum. In a warmer area and longer season like yours it's an even better chance to snag reproducing hives!

PM if you have questions...
    Beeker
    (Master Beekeeper among other things-thus the name)
    Lincoln 140HD solid .023 and 75/25% Ar/Co2 or 100% Co2
    Lincoln SP-140T innershield .03 or Aluminum spool gun
    Dayton 230A AC Stick
    Harris Oxy/Ace torch setup
    Chicago Electric Stud Welder
    LTP 5000D Lotos 50A Plasma
    Vulcan Protig 205

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
    "It's too late this year to start a hive, but now she's ready to go."

Respectfully, NOT true! :-)
    We just entered swarm season up here in Montana so we've started populating new hives with swarms found in people's yards/trees/mailboxes starting about 3 weeks ago. Sometimes the local bee clubs have a swarm waiting list, people looking to rehome, or beeks willing to make a split is another option. I'd recommend you store your equipment outside in it's intended permanent location where local scout bees can find it; and it doesn't hurt to use bait (old used beeswax/comb and/or lemongrass oil extract) that makes it smell that much more like an enticing home. That while you ask around some of the local beeks for a split or nuc (nucleus). There's a number of FB pages that can help quench the reading up thirst like Rocky Mountain Beekeepers, Fatbeeman's group, or our up here is Montana Beekeeping Forum. In a warmer area and longer season like yours it's an even better chance to snag reproducing hives!

PM if you have questions...
    Beeker
    (Master Beekeeper among other things-thus the name)
    Hey thanks!!

I know nothing about the little guys. All we know is what she's read in "Beekeeping for Dummies", which gives a timeline for starting the colony.

She wants to paint everything, so I'll grab the paint, and the other boxes, so she can get it done pronto. She knows where it is gonna be set up, so we'll put it out there for S&G's.

We both thought you had to get a Queen from somewhere to get it all going. But Hell, now that I've heard what you said...………………..it makes sense to just put it out there, and wait. BTW, how do you keep mud daubers out of it while you're waiting for a scout bee??

Post Thanks / Like

We used to keep bees, around 9 hives was our max.

Summer time was bad - if you let a queen or two grow up, they'd take half of a hive with them, and you'd have to find them, kill the queen, and take em back and dump em in the hive
    The idea is that you regularly look into the hives, paint-mark "the" queen so you could identify her, and then kill off any other queens that were bred, before they had chance to fight, or swarm.

They never used to swarm into an empty hive, not for us anyway.

They died out slowly through a bit of bad luck and a bit of bad management. Foulbrood and moths.

dad got hold of some empty hives a few weeks ago and let everyone around know that he's gonna take any swarm or wild nest anyone tells him about.
    Last edited by Munkul; 06-02-2020 at 06:49 AM.

18. Likes Beeker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Queen comes with the swarm. It's how a given hive reproduces as Munkul found out. They are incredibly stubborn though because once they have it in their heads they need to swarm there is very little changing their minds. It's easier to just mimic nature and take the swarm and put it in new equipment if it gets to that point because pinching the queen doesn't necessarily turn off the switch sometimes. Same with removing the queen cells constantly, if the bees sense that it's time to replace the queen (because she's running out of fertility, damaged, failing, below par, etc) then they're doing exactly what they should be doing...replacing her.

Generally we'll put 1/2" hardware cloth (wire mesh) across entrance to keep mice out, and just do periodic checks to ensure any wasp species are "discouraged" from setting up residence, an at same time renewing the scent/bait. There are commercial swarm-lures out there too, but sometimes just putting unused equipment out where scouts can find it is all that's necessary. Attracting wild is fine, but commercial hives in the area can help increase likelihood also since density is increased accordingly.

Howland's book (Beekeeping for Dummies) was one of my first and loved it! It does a VERY good job of laying the foundation upon which to build from. Generally the NUMBER of questions you come away with doesn't change, just what the questions are about changes...that's a good sign. :-)

The timelines are describing IDEALS. I've successfully installed and overwintered bees late into fall and beginning of winter even; it just means that the beek is locked into feeding to get them through it (and artificially warming). Think bummer lambs and you're on the right track...

Munkul-Swarms in the summer is NOT necessarily a bad thing! It's just how they reproduce and that's a sign all is working as nature intended... in my area 2 hives is better than one and how many grow their apiaries. :-) That said, one of the keys to keeping them from getting swarming stuck in their heads is to stay ahead of them with space in the hive. The best way to describe this is if they think they are going to finish stocking the pantry for winter roughly 3 weeks from now (the time to go from egg to new queen is 16 days) then they switch from production to reproduction mentally and physically and spend the rest of the season spitting out swarms instead of honey production. So the beekeeper keeps adding boxes ahead of them to give the bees the mental impression of "oh well, I guess we're not done yet, we just got another floor added to the attic, time to roll up the sleeves and push the "all full" timeline to the right..." So REproduction is delayed because there's still production to be done.
    Thus some commercial guys will stack 'em high in the spring and come back in the fall to harvest. At that point in the Fall the bees (now compacted into the smaller space after several boxes are removed) realize that they really only have to decide who rides the winter out, wean the population, and hope they have enough stores to make it through the pending cold weather without starving. So no more swarms at that point because the window for reproduction is closed/minimal during hunker down.
    Last edited by Beeker; 06-02-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    Dayton 230A AC Stick
    Vulcan Protig 205

20. Likes snowbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh! And be sure to only paint the OUTSIDE exposed areas of the hive! They'll coat the inside with propolis and wax just fine. Painting edge to edge contacts can also cause problems getting boxes apart if it "seals". You'll find out that "crack"-sound separating the boxes is natures home security alarm system to them.
    Dayton 230A AC Stick
    Vulcan Protig 205

Post Thanks / Like

Always something unexpected and educational in Farmersammm posts. Thanks!
    Miller Multimatic 220AC
    Miller Thunderbolt 225
    Victor OA

23. Likes snowbird liked this post