Thread: 1/4" Pneumatic Grinder Rubber Sanding Drum Wobble

Post Thanks / Like

1/4" Pneumatic Grinder Rubber Sanding Drum Wobble

Family member bought this kit which works awesome on a 1/4" pneumatic die grinder when the rubber drum is, and stays, dead center on the shaft. There's a left hand thread nut against a large washer that cinches and squeezes the rubber drum to spread out and grab the sand paper. The web page does not say it, but the package says usage not to exceed 20,000 RPM, and the website says it can be used with rotary tools. Pneumatic die grinder says use attachments rated for 20,000RPM.

Trouble is getting it (rubber drum) really centered, and keeping it really centered while the jamb nut is tightened and the oversize washers squeeze the rubber drum. The rubber drum likes to squeeze to one side when being tightened up. If run like that, the tool shakes proportional to how off-center the rubber moved, and only part of the sand paper makes contact --- so it is a re-do / try-again situation off the bat.

Is there a better tool or arbor to support these sanding drums? Or does anyone have any tips or tricks to repeatedly get things centered without a lot of careful fussing? When it runs true, they work amazing for what we are using them for (opening up bored holed in wood with nails in 2X and 3X lumber). I never looked into these or took them seriously for usage on an air tool before before someone handed it to me and said try it.

Running a lower RPM tool can make more error tolerable, and we are frequently running the die grinders at partial throttle, but only stopping, and really doing it over and over until the best possible alignment (which means it won't work for the crew) gets it to run smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1/4" Pneumatic Grinder Rubber Sanding Drum Wobble

I dont care what the package says those should be used on drills that max around 2,000 not a die grinder at 20,000.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by propanehotrod View Post
    I dont care what the package says those should be used on drills that max around 2,000 not a die grinder at 20,000.
    Thanks, I appreciate you telling it straight. Did not want to give up on it before asking, but I guess that's it.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at pages 80 and 81 of the Dynabrade catalog, looks like we might be able to get something suitable that'll run 1", 1-1/2" and 2" spiral bands at faster / slower speeds respectively.

More sanding sleeve drums on McMaster.

Will stick with the wood carving burrs in the die grinder and run the sanding drums in drills for now. The slotted wheel setup that expands with centrifugal force would seem to be a nice setup and take away the need to align a rubber drum by hand with the jamb nut and squeezing washers.

Post Thanks / Like

Those little drums work great on my Baldor polishing lathe fitted with a drill chuck. Not too portable though
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Even on a die grinder the air should be turned way down. If you dont shuck the drum it will just wear out the sand paper at light speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered Dynaflex PN 92916 2" diameter 1" wide slotted wheel, and Merit 08834196166 2x1in 80 grit spiral bands during Zoro's 20% off sale. Looked at pneumatic die grinders rated for lower RPM at full pressure, but was coming across 30+ scfm units mainly and do not presently have that available without paralleling compressors on hand. Will try and reduce the supply pressure to the pneumatic die grinders on hand, first, to see how the new setup works.

Post Thanks / Like

Those little sanding drums are made for Dremel style tools. I use them, and other types of mounted Dremel points, all the time for real finicky stuff. Lower RPM range, and gentle touch.

The little Dremel is my go-to tool for grinding a clean aggressive back rake on smaller lathe turning bits. Works great without taking excessive material.

Edit: I'm assuming the shaft dia. is the leetle ones Way less than 1/4