+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bluestar 2e came unplugged

Post Thanks / Like

Bluestar 2e came unplugged

Hello fellow welders and enthusiasts I just recently picked up a miller bluestar 2e ac welder/generator serial #JA386344 I have limited electrical wiring knowledge. The motor (tecumseh 16hp) starts up and runs okay but upon further inspection I realized the 4-prong bridge rectifier is completely unhooked with the four wires dangling next to it, the bridge rectifier looks to be aftermarket and only has the AC and + labeled in it, now I am assuming here but I believe that would make the other 2 prongs the negatives. Any help on re-wiring this old welder rectifier would be greatly appreciated. Just cleaned the slip rings and got the starter squared away. Thanks in advance for any assistance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bluestar 2e came unplugged

Typical small engine charging system.

No negatives there at all except the case. The one with + is DC positive and the case itself is the negative usually bolted to the engine or it would need a ground on the case. The other two are your stator AC in.

DC + positive usually wired through ignition switch.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-03-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of form factors for bridge rectifiers, but this link shows pinouts for some common ones:
    http://www.electricalbasicprojects.c...ify-terminals/
    You can also find videos on how to test what you have to make sure it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I may have been mistaken I thought you were working on charging but now thinking maybe the weld output. ??

Last edited by danielplace; 06-03-2020 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes weld output, the four wires that were originally hooked to the rectifier came from the field windings, starting switch, capacitors and welding/outlet selector switch. Now I just need to know which wires go where on the rectifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Ohh I just remembered, is there an alternative switch for the weld process selector on a powcon 200sm?? If not, does anyone by chance have an extra they would be willing to sell? Looking at the switch I’m assuming I need an identical replacement, was just curious if I could wire in a standard 3-position toggle and get away with it. Thanks for any help guys

Post Thanks / Like

I’m getting no voltage across the slip rings when switch is in run mode is this related to the bridge rectifier or field exciting diode? Man I’m really stumped on this one

Post Thanks / Like

if the diagram in post #4 matches your welder, there will be no voltage on the slip rings until engine is running. follow the wires back through R1 and SR1 then back to the stator. No voltage in the stator until armature is spinning.
    If wires and parts all test good the you may need to flash the armature with 12vdc.
    Some older welders will loose magnetism if they set to long or get bounced hard when moving. Most of the new welders have automatic flashing built in.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your assistance, so in order to “flash the armature” I apply 12v to the slip ring wires correct? When you say trace the wiring back through the stator could you elaborate more. Sorry I know this is all very basic for most on here I just want to avoid frying anything. Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist