+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceiling Mounted Chain Hoist

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceiling Mounted Chain Hoist

Cut yourself a strip of 3/4" plywood 8-12" wide by 6-8'. Use 3/8" carriage bolts to mount track to plywood. Set the assembly up to ceiling and run 4 construction screws, 2.5-3" long into each truss intersection. It won't be as strong as mounting something above the truss but will be considerably stronger than simply putting a 1/4" lag into the bottom of the truss.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't have any bolt or screw heads down in the c-channel or the trolley won't get past it. I have to use the channel hanger brackets.

I'll know for sure when I mark where all the joists are on the ceiling, but I believe the channel will tie into the shorter East/West joists close to where they tie into the first long N/S joist.
    Name:  IMG_20200604_093417-01.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  82.6 KB

Again, I'm designing for the rare instances that may approach 300lbs - but 99% of any lift will 100lbs or so. (3000w generator, small I-beam art project, etc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I can't have any bolt or screw heads down in the c-channel or the trolley won't get past it. I have to use the channel hanger brackets.

I'll know for sure when I mark where all the joists are on the ceiling, but I believe the channel will tie into the shorter East/West joists close to where they tie into the first long N/S joist.
    Name:  IMG_20200604_093417-01.jpg
Views: 2598
Size:  82.6 KB

Again, I'm designing for the rare instances that may approach 300lbs - but 99% of any lift will 100lbs or so. (3000w generator, small I-beam art project, etc)
    That would be so much better than under a long one. If you were in the ends of the ones T'ing into the other that would be pretty solid for what you are doing for sure. Multiple lags in each truss 24" apart would be great for putting the Unistrut up and hanging from it as I guess you wouldn't want to buy and install those main track hangers at every single truss.

How many main hangers are there total ?

I just looked and saw 4 total in 10 feet. Man I think maybe you could just put them 4 right in the trusses with the lag studs and skip that strut up top on the drywall. I don't think you need it. I mean it is only giving you like one more lag. Skip the upper one. Would look nice and clean with all thread straight to the all thread coupling against a fender washer right on the ceiling.

Maybe don't even use any all thread just use bolts. Bolt the hangers right straight into the coupling nuts. It would look real good.

Last edited by danielplace; 06-04-2020 at 10:23 PM.

4. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'd avoid lag bolts. Yes, I'm using lags but they are a compromise... my attic is less than 12 inches where the yellow crane and hook are located. The lags are 5/8 or 3/4, I don't recall, and 8 inches long, going into douglas fir. The holes are pre-drill as specified and run in with a pneumatic impact gun. I don't recall what the pull out was but I was comfortable with it. I can lift a full drum of coolant which I'm sure exceeds my marked limit. I guarantee you no engineer or safety inspector would be happy seeing a crane lag bolted to the ceiling. I figure if I ever bring on employees I'll need to through bolt it and have it inspected.

I don't know what grade all-thread Unistrut recommends. I'm sure plenty of electricians use the hardware store variety and I've seen some scary big stuff hanging from 3/8 threaded rod. The engineer specifies it and the electrician installs it. Personally I'd use B7 threaded rod but it is likely overkill. You may be able to get bolts long enough especially if you use unistrut in the attic also.

I'd also put the track flush with the ceiling... you can never have enough head room.
    Last edited by forhire; 06-04-2020 at 11:24 PM.

6. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    That would be so much better than under a long one. If you were in the ends of the ones T'ing into the other that would be pretty solid for what you are doing for sure. Multiple lags in each truss 24" apart would be great for putting the Unistrut up and hanging from it as I guess you wouldn't want to buy and install those main track hangers at every single truss.

How many main hangers are there total ?

I just looked and saw 4 total in 10 feet. Man I think maybe you could just put them 4 right in the trusses with the lag studs and skip that strut up top on the drywall. I don't think you need it. I mean it is only giving you like one more lag. Skip the upper one. Would look nice and clean with all thread straight to the all thread coupling against a fender washer right on the ceiling.

Maybe don't even use any all thread just use bolts. Bolt the hangers right straight into the coupling nuts. It would look real good.

Name:  IMG_20200604_194318-01.jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  207.1 KB

Better pic of the install location. Other constraints I failed to mention includes the garage door and track. I only have 7" from the ceiling to clear the door when it's opened. The track is actually 10' long overall, so 4 of the hangers will be where your drawing shows them, and the other two will be right on the ends. The brackets will be lag bolted up tight against the ceiling drywall, and the c-channel clamped into them - so the bottom of the channel should only be 3-3/4" from the ceiling.

Should have all the parts and pieces by tomorrow - so hopefully this weekend it'll get done.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20200604_194318-01.jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  207.1 KB

Better pic of the install location. Other constraints I failed to mention includes the garage door and track. I only have 7" from the ceiling to clear the door when it's opened. The track is actually 10' long overall, so 4 of the hangers will be where your drawing shows them, and the other two will be right on the ends. The brackets will be lag bolted up tight against the ceiling drywall, and the c-channel clamped into them - so the bottom of the channel should only be 3-3/4" from the ceiling.

Should have all the parts and pieces by tomorrow - so hopefully this weekend it'll get done.
    I had thought you mentioned Unistrut going against the drywall so I thought you were putting up uni strut to hang from. I guess you just meant the Unistrut track.
    Lag bolts right in the brackets and against the drywall sounds good but you won't be able to go too tight or bracket will ruin drywall or punch though.

Need some 4" fender washers for between bracket and drywall. Lol.

Now to hit center of every one. They made the holes in brackets a bit large. That must be for misalignment of the lags. Lol.
    Last edited by danielplace; 06-05-2020 at 12:42 AM.

9. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had thought you mentioned Unistrut going against the drywall so I thought you were putting up uni strut to hang from. I guess you just meant the Unistrut track.
    Lag bolts right in the brackets and against the drywall sounds good but you won't be able to go too tight or bracket will ruin drywall or punch though.

Need some 4" fender washers for between bracket and drywall. Lol.

Now to hit center of every one. They made the holes in brackets a bit large. That must be for misalignment of the lags. Lol.
    This is just my conspiracy theory, but I'm guessing "unistrut" was invented as a universal support system for pipes, wire races, etc., and that's what it is known for mostly.

Then some genius discovered it made a great overhead track for industrial curtains - just had to develop wheeled trolleys - bang: an entire second income stream without a single modification to the original main component.

Mounting: I'll use a stud finder to narrow down where each joist is, then a small pick/awl to probe and find exactly where each is.

Drill one end for the pilot hole, tie a string and run it to the other end and tie it off for my straight line. Then drill the rest of the pilots, mount the brackets, and install the track.

Easy peasy

Post Thanks / Like

They made the holes in brackets a bit large. That must be for misalignment of the lags. Lol.
    I live and die by any and all oblong mounting holes!

Post Thanks / Like

Well this was worth the price of admission!

Name:  IMG_20200606_105507-01.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  343.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20200606_133118-01.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  259.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20200606_133711-01.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  300.2 KB

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. What are your thoughts on mounting to the circular plate?
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. The unistrut made for a quick solution. The Nautilus is coming along nicely.

16. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming at this late but Unistrut makes track that is like 2-5/8" high , Its hard to find but the next time I need to put up a hoist I'am going to go with that. I used the 1-5/8X1-5/8 and welded 3X3X1/4 angle on top of it to but up along side the rafters in my shop space, drilled 1/2 holes though the steel and the wood of each rafter and put 1/2-13 bolts though it all.
    works great when I need to pull the motor on a Cub Cadet, or pick up the front end of one.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Still one of the handier additions to the garage! Makes loading up for a camp trip much easier on the back.
    Name:  20200815-063406-01.jpg
Views: 4277
Size:  211.3 KB

Name:  20200815-063500-01.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  207.8 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

19. Likes psacustomcreations, FlyFishn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelsmith101 View Post
    Coming at this late but Unistrut makes track that is like 2-5/8" high , Its hard to find but the next time I need to put up a hoist I'am going to go with that. I used the 1-5/8X1-5/8 and welded 3X3X1/4 angle on top of it to but up along side the rafters in my shop space, drilled 1/2 holes though the steel and the wood of each rafter and put 1/2-13 bolts though it all.
    works great when I need to pull the motor on a Cub Cadet, or pick up the front end of one.
    Joe
    Actually unistrut has 3-1/4" high x 1-5/8".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Still one of the handier additions to the garage! Makes loading up for a camp trip much easier on the back.

Excellent work!

I just came across this thread.

I bought a Superwinch Terra 45SR winch about 4-5 years ago. I actually bought a Talon 18SR with the wireless remote for a recovery winch and utility winch, but it does not stop on a dime so as to be able to control loads so I ended up getting the small Terra and remote adapter harness for the purpose. I can't tell you how handy that has been. There is a lot of stuff I just couldn't do without a winch like that - and a wirelessly controlled one at that. Lots of stuff I do solo and having the winch around simply makes things possible, let alone be a back saver.

It looks like the ceiling mounted hoist you have works well for you. However, just a thought - if you run out of head room you can get by with ladders. Ive done that many times out of convenience and necessity, though a dedicated gantry crane type platform would certainly be better for obvious reasons. The ladder method has been used to hoist generators, 12gal fuel tanks, and outboard motors without issue.

This was from a couple years ago on my cross-country "migration" to our remote property.
    Name:  20190804_194912 small.jpg
Views: 2045
Size:  291.2 KB

The ladder is a Little Giant, I forget the model - Evolution, Revolution, something like that. It is a commercial grade of the kind you find at the big box stores. I want to say it is 21 feet extended. It was the middle of the 3 sizes at the time I got it. The ladder hangs far enough over top that it overshoots the other side. I lift up everything individually then once it clears the top I pull it in and set it down, move it up front, then repeat. That way the landing zone is clear for what ever else goes up.

(Yes, there is extra bracing inside the cap down to the bed floor/truck frame - no way the cap will hold all that alone).

Name:  20190809_182044_HDR.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  80.4 KB

And some motor rigging with the A frame ladder configuration. This was pulling the motor, same one I hauled up that season. Motors are stored in a building, not on the boats. From a maneuvering perspective it would be even easier to hoist from the boat house rafters but getting the motors over land to the other building, or floating them over to the dock, would be just as much of a PITA than yanking on the dock. So I yank on the dock.

Name:  20190906_132654 small.jpg
Views: 1900
Size:  300.9 KB

Mechanical advantage and hoisting are wonderful things. With creativity and a winch you can move the earth.

22. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post

Mechanical advantage and hoisting are wonderful things. With creativity and a winch you can move the earth.
    You're pretty close

Name:  archimedes-quote-give-me-a-lever-long-enough-and-a-fulcrum.jpg
Views: 2350
Size:  36.0 KB
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 09-02-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

24. Likes ronsii, FlyFishn, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember kids, work smarter no harder...
    Name:  20201011-095933-01.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  20201011-100222-01.jpg
Views: 2363
Size:  208.1 KB

No problemo...
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

26. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for working smarter.... but hydraulics makes things so much faster

Turn this:
    Name:  sawdustshed01.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  49.7 KB

Into this:
    Name:  sawdustshed02.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  89.0 KB

With this:
    Name:  sawdustshed03.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  86.4 KB

28. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember kids, work smarter no harder...
    Name:  20201011-095933-01.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  20201011-100222-01.jpg
Views: 2363
Size:  208.1 KB

No problemo...
    Last time I saw a sheave like that was on a 400HP electric motor driving a gyratory rock crusher.

30. Likes ronsii, Lis2323, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I'm all for working smarter.... but hydraulics makes things so much faster

Turn this:
    Name:  sawdustshed01.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  49.7 KB

Into this:
    Name:  sawdustshed02.jpg
Views: 1672
Size:  89.0 KB

With this:
    Name:  sawdustshed03.jpg
Views: 1652
Size:  86.4 KB

Did the scissor man lift already fall off the forks ???

:

32. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Did the scissor man lift already fall off the forks ???

Yeah.... I had Zid... Sid's twin brother operating it and told him to bring it across the lot... well he put it in 4th gear and floored it which was fine until he hit the brakes and it slid off the forks into one of the cans!!! After that I figured it would be safer if I didn't have him operate it with me in the extended reach basket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Last time I saw a sheave like that was on a 400HP electric motor driving a gyratory rock crusher.
    That'd be about right. On the heavy side we work with mines and gravel pits (the light side is bakeries and manufacturing).
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! I looked at the unistrut trolley system too. My ceiling is LPIs spaced at 16" but if I recall my builder buddy told me that while a LPI has tremendous load bearing capabilities from the top I should not put much load on the bottom except for the ceiling material. This is kind of obvious when you look at how they are put together. I did fasten 2x8s across 6 of them with hooks to lift my camper shell using ratcheting load straps but the shell is pretty light. I may just build something supported from the floor. Incidentally, where I live at least (Pima County, AZ) there is no longer an added fire rating required for residential attached garages, just the normal ratings required in the rest of the house. According to NFPA garage fires are no longer common due to fuel injected vehicles with sealed fuel systems.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

tag unistrut trolley
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist