+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma Torch Cable Damage

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma Torch Cable Damage

Recently I bought a welder at an auction and they had a box of extras that went with it. When I got home I found there was a plasma torch at the bottom of the box. I recalled seeing a plasma cutter listed, but didn't bid on it, so I went back and found that it was a Miller Spectrum 2050. This torch appears to be the correct Miller ICE-55C. It's in pretty good shape overall, but there's one rub/burn mark through the cable outer shield. The pressurized air should be through the center tubing, not through the rubber hose, right? In theory this torch should still work, or am I missing something? I saw that replacements are ridiculously expensive, so I was planning to sell it really cheap if it can still be used, but wanted to ask about the damage first. Sorry the pics are rotated...I forgot this forum doesn't have the plugin to correct for phone picture orientation....d'oh.

Name:  IMG_9320.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  155.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9319.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  137.5 KB

Name:  IMG_9318.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  145.4 KB
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasma Torch Cable Damage

You would need to try the torch to see if it works. Might be a good reason it was in a box with other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a few different things that could be bad on it. Wiring, switch, air hose, pin connector and the electrode seat area. I can't imagine someone would replace a perfect working torch. They most likely kept it for parts.

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    You would need to try the torch to see if it works. Might be a good reason it was in a box with other stuff.
    That's a possibility, for sure. This place shut down and as best I can tell the auction company was the one who put the lots together and they had no clue about welding. There was an air compressor hose coiled up on top of the welder as though it belonged...LOL.

I'm not out anything either way, I'd just hate to toss it in the trash if it might have life left in it considering how expensive they are new.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if a welder repair shop could test it or not. It's possible just the cover is damaged.

Post Thanks / Like

What I would do... cut the remaining cover off and extra couple inches each way the clean up the wires and very carefully check them for ANY kind of failure!!! best way is use a good HV ohm meter... other wise test it on an actual machine if possible. I have seen what happens when someone drags a torch cord over a sharp edge and tries to use it.... ZAP!!! depending on the machine it can kill it too

IF everything checks out ok then get some good sealing heat shrink that you can slide down form the torch end(with it removed) and seal it up... one or even two layers should make a nice repair.. I like to use two with the first one being just long enough to cover only the exposed wires then a second layer a couple inches longer each direction.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually fick these with liquid electrical tape and as stated above, Shrink tube. Or liquid elect tape to seal everything and then just tape it up. This torch ( made by Hypertherm ) will also fira Hypertherm with the same connector. You just need to move one of the pins.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

put some air pressure (50psi) to the center of the machine connector and use some soapy water to see if it is leaking air at the damaged area. Use an ohm meter to check for shorts. Probably the auction company doesn't know a stinger from a wringer.

Post Thanks / Like

If you sell it I may be interested. I've been working through some issues with my 2050 and the torch is next.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, looks identical to my torch on my Hypertherm Powermax 600... wonder if Miller farmed them out?

Had a similar burn when I picked it up - used high quality butyl tape and electrical tape - then covered the entire length of hose with firehose. Works well. Not entirely flame proof, but more than enough for what I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you really know all of the work that goes into getting that fish onto your plate?

12. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back when this torch and plasma machines where being built. Hypertherm and Miller were quietly working together.
    Hypertherm was building the torches and making consumables. and ITW was building the plasma machines for Miller and Hypertherm. The 2050 was built by ITW or powcon depending on how old it is. the 50 amp machine is based on powcon designs and the 55amp on updated miller designs.

14. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist