Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37

Thread: Drill press suggestions

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Itís not ideal, but itís temporary relief while Iím building the new house. Works well on non humid days. Plus it was cheap. Used em in a shop in a shop I worked at in Kansas and they helped. Itís what gave me the idea to try one

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    South Lyon, MI
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    I picked up an old camelback belt driven drill press a few years back, very rigid, nice slow spindle speeds & power feed with depth stop. I would recommend one if you do a lot of large holes in steel. It doesn't quite get up to appropriate RPM for smaller drills or AL.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Carnegie, PA
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    I don't know how you feel about vintage equipment but I have a 20" camelback drill press from ~1917 made by Silver Mfg. Co. that is a fantastic machine. #3 Morse taper, functional power feed that will drill a 1" hole in a thick steel plate and not even grunt. Weighs 750 lbs. Got it from Craigslist, drive was converted to a 3/4 HP electric motor, has a back gear, came with a big vise and a 3/4" chuck. Turnkey, all for $250. The only thing I did was paint it and get a new v-belt. Wouldn't trade it for anything new.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  4. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, a2lute liked this post
  5. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Drill press suggestions

    I missed on on this one by a few minutes.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  6. Likes ronsii liked this post
  7. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by WFM View Post
    I don't know how you feel about vintage equipment but I have a 20" camelback drill press from ~1917 made by Silver Mfg. Co. that is a fantastic machine. #3 Morse taper, functional power feed that will drill a 1" hole in a thick steel plate and not even grunt. Weighs 750 lbs. Got it from Craigslist, drive was converted to a 3/4 HP electric motor, has a back gear, came with a big vise and a 3/4" chuck. Turnkey, all for $250. The only thing I did was paint it and get a new v-belt. Wouldn't trade it for anything new.
    Beautiful camelback, WFM


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  8. Likes ronsii liked this post
  9. #31
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I missed on on this one by a few minutes.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Prairie Tool and Supply.... probably wouldn't work on the coast anyway...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  10. Likes ronsii liked this post
  11. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Prairie Tool and Supply.... probably wouldn't work on the coast anyway...
    I had to zoom in on my iPhone to figure out what the heck you were talking about.


    I guess itís too late now to say I was buying it for you
    :

  12. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
  13. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Carnegie, PA
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I missed on on this one by a few minutes.
    Something you may want to consider is if the press is a 5 speed or a 9 speed. A 9 speed has an additional pulley and a second v-belt. A 5 speed won't go slow enough and may burn up bits if you try to use a drill larger than 1/2".
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by WFM View Post
    Something you may want to consider is if the press is a 5 speed or a 9 speed. A 9 speed has an additional pulley and a second v-belt. A 5 speed won't go slow enough and may burn up bits if you try to use a drill larger than 1/2".
    Good way to go

    I fabricated my own double reduction on one drill press many years ago. Lowest speed is 70 RPM iirc.





    Truth be told I rarely use it as I prefer the power of my Bridgeport clone or mag drill.

    :

  15. Likes ronsii liked this post
  16. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    8,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Good way to go

    I fabricated my own double reduction on one drill press many years ago. Lowest speed is 70 RPM iirc.





    Truth be told I rarely use it as I prefer the power of my Bridgeport clone or mag drill.

    Hey!!!, it's not about how much you use your tools.... it's about how many and how big your tools are!!!!

  17. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Hey!!!, it's not about how much you use your tools.... it's about how many and how big your tools are!!!!
    Interesting concept. I will have to look into it.....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  18. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
  19. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Carnegie, PA
    Posts
    178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Drill press suggestions

    Here is a pic of a 12 speed press that is for sale locally on Craigslist for $150. You can see the pulley setup that slows it down to a manageable speed for larger drills. Has an MT2.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,603,508,966.24528 seconds with 15 queries