+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much utility is enough?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much utility is enough?

Dominion Energy does have 320 Amp single phase service. I have it at my house with two 150 Amp panels. I'm not sure if they have 400 Amp service. There are self-contained 400 Amp single-phase meters.

There's quite a bit of info here: https://www.dominionenergy.com/libra...20190910171759
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

You buy 400 amp 240 volt single phase.
    You may need a 50 amp for running a welder but that not how power the welder is using .
    Most mig welding uses around 20 amps

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    Dominion Energy does have 320 Amp single phase service. I have it at my house with two 150 Amp panels. I'm not sure if they have 400 Amp service. There are self-contained 400 Amp single-phase meters.

There's quite a bit of info here: https://www.dominionenergy.com/libra...20190910171759

Post Thanks / Like

This might be an off the wall suggestion but it is one we are currently considering as we are in a rental space and don't want to invest in a place we may not stay. Have you considered looking for a 50-100kw diesel three phase generator? I regularly see them anywhere from 5k-10k. We currently power all of our 3 phase components with VFDs but will need something more substantial when we finally fork out the money for a press brake and shear. We have a hydraulic shop that has done the same to test their large power packs in the 30-50hp range. Just an option. All of our welders/ plasma table/ saws are single phase so we are limited to only the future large equipment to run off the genset which we feel is viable as these would likely only run for less than an hour at a time as a custom shop. A true production environment would likely benefit from full time 3 phase. Also you will tap out 200 amp service extremely fast in a 6 man shop. You will need at least double that. We are close to our limits with 3 full time fabricators on a 200 amp panel and 100 amp panel. 2-3 welders running at a time, CNC plasma running, compressor, etc. Overbuild for growth.
    Everlast 255ext
    Trailblazer 275nt
    Hypertherm Powermax1000
    Acra Mill
    Syncrowave 200
    Hobart 210mvp
    Ellis 3000
    Rockwell 10x36 lathe
    Grizzly G0704
    Hossfeld 2 bender
    Huth bender

4. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livefast1 View Post
    This might be an off the wall suggestion but it is one we are currently considering as we are in a rental space and don't want to invest in a place we may not stay. Have you considered looking for a 50-100kw diesel three phase generator? I regularly see them anywhere from 5k-10k. We currently power all of our 3 phase components with VFDs but will need something more substantial when we finally fork out the money for a press brake and shear. We have a hydraulic shop that has done the same to test their large power packs in the 30-50hp range. Just an option. All of our welders/ plasma table/ saws are single phase so we are limited to only the future large equipment to run off the genset which we feel is viable as these would likely only run for less than an hour at a time as a custom shop. A true production environment would likely benefit from full time 3 phase. Also you will tap out 200 amp service extremely fast in a 6 man shop. You will need at least double that. We are close to our limits with 3 full time fabricators on a 200 amp panel and 100 amp panel. 2-3 welders running at a time, CNC plasma running, compressor, etc. Overbuild for growth.
    I've been powering my 480VAC equipment off of a 400hp generator for 11 years. This is not a bad option if line power isn't available and if you only need to operate the equipment sporadically. However it is much more costly per KW than line power.

On average, it costs me around $20 per hour to run my generator (fuel, maintenance, depreciation, etc). A smaller generator would likely cost less, but it's still a lot more than utility power. In my instance I only need to use it several hours a month, so the cost doesn't hurt too much. However I really feel it on the weeks when I'm running it 7 hours a day.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

6. Likes Kevin_Essiambre, livefast1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a call late last night, about 8:20pm, amazingly it was still light out...it was the PG&E technician, he had just finished hooking up my 320 amp service!

Said he was out earlier but the rep told him it was about 60 feet from their pole, so he took 100' of cable, but was about 5' short, so had to get get more cable...and then hit a fire that had the road shut down...anyway, I'm glad to have the service hooked up. (I plow ahead slowly )

Post Thanks / Like

Finally getting some movement on this. Working with Rappahannock Power in VA. Gonna cost me $25k to get power to the house alone. That does include a transformer on my property about 200 feet from the shop. I know I can get the second 200A feed off of it, but probably not much more.

Going to have to live with it for now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Multimatic 200
    Ellis 1800
    Haberle S225 9" cold saw
    MM 300; Spoolmate 30A w/ WC-24
    TB 302G
    Dynasty 280 DX Tigrunner

Post Thanks / Like

It how must do you want to spend.
    100 to 200 amp is not mush different. But 400 amps will jump up.
    Check with your power company if want three phase it may jump up.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Drooopy View Post
    I know that this question is going to be tough to answer without knowing all the loads, but I am trying to plan for the future. First some background.

Putting an offer in on 30 acres. Got a builder lined up to do the house and set me up with a 50'x100' pad for a shop. Going to do a pretty basic insulated steel building. Outdoor wood furnace and fans in the summer.

Current plan is to expand my side business there and finally have room to work on the 3 cars i am in the process of rebuilding, but high likelihood I will end up leasing some of it to my current employer. Our current shop is 3500 sqft and cannot expand without paying 18$/sqft/year. High rent for fab space. I could move then engineering and fab shops out to my land and keep final assembly and service in the current shop close to our customers.

Factoring 3000sqft of it leased with 6 people working in it full time. 2 welders, 1 fitter/ fabricator, 2 helpers and an engineer/foreman. Current machines are Millermatic 255, dynasty 280, powemax 45xp, some saws, 5hp compressor, drill press, small mill, tube bender and various other small tools. Will be putting in 2 lifts as well.

Am I crazy to think 200A of 240 single phase dedicated to the shop is enough? I wish I could get 3 phase, but doubt that is possible.

Thoughts on other things I should look out for when planning the shop are appreciated too.

Post Thanks / Like

Three phase just meter ring will cost more.
    I had location back in 2003 it cost over $10,000 for power company to bring the third wire to pole.
    But they would give me 480 volts at no cost.

I do not know if will a lot of employees. But most welders per Manufacturer hand say 50amps 240 volts. But after the started of arc it down in most cases to less than 20amps

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Drooopy View Post
    I know that this question is going to be tough to answer without knowing all the loads, but I am trying to plan for the future. First some background.

Putting an offer in on 30 acres. Got a builder lined up to do the house and set me up with a 50'x100' pad for a shop. Going to do a pretty basic insulated steel building. Outdoor wood furnace and fans in the summer.

Current plan is to expand my side business there and finally have room to work on the 3 cars i am in the process of rebuilding, but high likelihood I will end up leasing some of it to my current employer. Our current shop is 3500 sqft and cannot expand without paying 18$/sqft/year. High rent for fab space. I could move then engineering and fab shops out to my land and keep final assembly and service in the current shop close to our customers.

Factoring 3000sqft of it leased with 6 people working in it full time. 2 welders, 1 fitter/ fabricator, 2 helpers and an engineer/foreman. Current machines are Millermatic 255, dynasty 280, powemax 45xp, some saws, 5hp compressor, drill press, small mill, tube bender and various other small tools. Will be putting in 2 lifts as well.

Am I crazy to think 200A of 240 single phase dedicated to the shop is enough? I wish I could get 3 phase, but doubt that is possible.

Thoughts on other things I should look out for when planning the shop are appreciated too.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist