Thread: Cold wire feeder

Post Thanks / Like

Cold wire feeder

Hello.

I work 10 hours a day almost always on the same thing. All lap joints with long beads.
    Last month I had bursitis in my left arm and I had to stop production for 10 days.

With the objective of relieving the tension in my left arm I am thinking of purchasing a cold wire feeder like CK WF3 or 5.

My questions:

1) I have been welding aluminum for three years and I can make good welds. Will a cold wire feeder keep the welds looking good?
    2) Can I expect greater productivity?

Thank you all.
    Last edited by Dalzani Lima; 06-14-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cold wire feeder

Forgot to say... I using TIG process.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, that is a good question. I bought one years ago to drive specialty mig wires for tig. It did not have pulse mode like now. I guess if you could set the pulse precisely you could duplicate nice welds. However I would not like to be tethered to another machine on my wire feed hand. In the last few years I have only used it to dispense tiny mig wire that I feed manually anyway.

I would consider bigger weld rod first, grabbing like 10 inches at a time, and feed until your fingers get too close. That might require reprogramming your tig welder. I like pedal pumping cosmetic beads, increasing the current into the root and cramming the rod to plump up the bead, then decrease the current to provide definition to the weld and slide into the root again. That does not work for aerospace work where a fixed current must be adhered to while feeding thinner rod and melting the puddle into the root. If you used a wire feeder to the process you have to document the wire size and feed rate. Best not admit to a wire feeder.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW2002ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig4ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Hmmm, that is a good question. I bought one years ago to drive specialty mig wires for tig. It did not have pulse mode like now. I guess if you could set the pulse precisely you could duplicate nice welds. However I would not like to be tethered to another machine on my wire feed hand. In the last few years I have only used it to dispense tiny mig wire that I feed manually anyway.

I would consider bigger weld rod first, grabbing like 10 inches at a time, and feed until your fingers get too close. That might require reprogramming your tig welder. I like pedal pumping cosmetic beads, increasing the current into the root and cramming the rod to plump up the bead, then decrease the current to provide definition to the weld and slide into the root again. That does not work for aerospace work where a fixed current must be adhered to while feeding thinner rod and melting the puddle into the root. If you used a wire feeder to the process you have to document the wire size and feed rate. Best not admit to a wire feeder.
    Thanks.

Iím going to test a pulsed MIG today but I donít have much hope that a MIG will do a good finish like TIG.

5. Likes driz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln pulse on pulse aluminum is close.
    Available on the power mig 350 and all powerwave welders.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Morin. Try searching his name. If you find it, PM him and you will be surprised. Knows more about it than anyone I know.