Thread: CuSi On Engine Block

Post Thanks / Like

CuSi On Engine Block

Has anyone tried to mig or tig braze an engine block? I've had good luck recently with silicon bronze on cracked cast iron stuff.
    I bought a Dodge diesel yesterday and didn't notice that it has a block that is notorious for the water jacket walls cracking due to pressure and cavitation. There are no signs of cracks right now but I seem to have Murphy's Law luck with vehicles.
    Some people pin the crack but it seems like brazing would be an acceptable method, doesn't it? I've heard of people repairing exhaust manifolds with CuSi, this area definitely won't get that hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: CuSi On Engine Block

Do not try to braze or weld that 5.9 block. What year of diesel did you get. I am presuming you are talking about the infamous 53 block. Do a search on dodge diesel 53 block. Then check to make sure your truck hs that block. I have owned a 97 dodge with the 53 block for 20 years . It has not cracked. Not all the 53 blocks were effected. The issue is from blocks cast in mexico that had the cooling jacket core shift in the mold when it was poured. Not all of them did. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is cracked I would use the stitch-n-lock kit to repair it.

There are no if ands or buts , if you try to weld or braze it it will become unfixable. The problem is that the block will be very thin in the cracked area but have thick sections near it. If you try to weld or braze it the thin section will expand but the thick sections will not and it will cause more cracks from the stresses.
    Last edited by thegary; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:41 PM.

3. Likes royesses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CuSi On Engine Block

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Do not try to braze or weld that 5.9 block. What year of diesel did you get. I am presuming you are talking about the infamous 53 block. Do a search on dodge diesel 53 block. Then check to make sure your truck hs that block. I have owned a 97 dodge with the 53 block for 20 years . It has not cracked. Not all the 53 blocks were effected. The issue is from blocks cast in mexico that had the cooling jacket core shift in the mold when it was poured. Not all of them did. If it ain't broke don't fix it. If it is cracked I would use the stitch-n-lock kit to repair it.

There are no if ands or buts , if you try to weld or braze it it will become unfixable. The problem is that the block will be very thin in the cracked area but have thick sections near it. If you try to weld or braze it the thin section will expand but the thick sections will not and it will cause more cracks from the stresses.
    Yes, it's a 53 block in a 98 Ram. I didn't know that any 12 valves came with 53 blocks until today. There aren't any visible leaks now and I have no intention of doing anything unless one pops up.
    That makes sense, I figured there why most people used the lock n stitch method, just didn't know why.
    Appreciate your input!