+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Power Plug is This?

Post Thanks / Like

What Power Plug is This?

I'm considering purchasing a Lincoln PowerMIG 350MP in the picture below. Does anyone recognize that power plug? My concern is this might be a 3-phase welder. I only have 220 volts single-phase at 50 amps. Will this welder work with 220 volts single-phase (50 amps)?

My other question is whether or not I should purchase a PowerMIG 350 or a PowerMIG 256? Since I only have 220/50 amps, will the 350MP be limited to the same current output as a PowerMIG 256?

Name:  PowerMIG_350MP.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  90.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Power Plug is This?

Looks like a standard twistlok like you'll find on most construction sites.

Can't be more specific without at least seeing the ends....

Post Thanks / Like

Well that plug is most likely to be 3 phase. And you just answered your own questions on the rest.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. If that plug is 3-phase, can the welder be converted to single-phase? I looked at the spec sheet and they don't mention anything about 3-phase power. How can that be? Is this a differentr version of the 350MP that only runs 3-phase?

PowerMIG 350MP: https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2403-2(LincolnElectric)

PowerMIG 256: https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...ncolnElectric)

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter what plug us hooked up to it, you need to see the information plate with all the specs for the machine. Some machines run on 3 phase and single phase , others only one or the other. If it does run on single phase 230vac you can run it , but within the limits of your breaker/circuit.
    Do you plan on doing some heavy welding, that looks like a pretty heavy gun. They both probably accept Magnum, and Tweco guns. Are you planning on doing aluminum ? You might want to research features, do you need push-pull , spool gun support ?
    That might make a bigger difference than amps alone.
    I'd be surprised if the let it go with the plug, its probably worth $150-$200 dollars alone. I have a single phase 480 vac plug like that on my Airco 250 Heliwelder., it only draws 50 amps that way.

Best of luck
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

6. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't plan to do heavy welding. Maybe only up to 1/4-inch thick steel. But, if I can get this welder fairly cheap, I'll do it.

I can't find any 3-phase PowerMIG 256 or PowerMIG 350MPs on Lincoln's website. Do they really sell 3-phase only versions of those machines?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any powermigs with 3 phase listed on the website, looks like they are all single phase. I see a lot of older linde, airco, miller, and Lincoln 3phase cv power supplies on craigslist(transformer) . I think idealarc CV are the 3 phase power supplies. I would still go by the info plate, could be a weird voltage , or frequency. 383v euro, or 50hz. I think if you get the spec # you can look up the information. Usually its a K-XXXX number. Hope you find a good deal.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

This welder is up for auction in the next 30 minutes, and I can't ask any questions. I looked at the spec sheet for the Power MIG 350MP and the input power is: 208/230/460/575/1/60. That means only single-phase, right? I can't find anything online that claims the Power MIG 350MP or the Power MIG 256 are 3-phase. The Operator's Manual for the 350MP and the 256 explicitly states single-phase only.

Is it possible that that plug is single phase?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UserJB View Post
    I don't plan to do heavy welding. Maybe only up to 1/4-inch thick steel. But, if I can get this welder fairly cheap, I'll do it.

I can't find any 3-phase PowerMIG 256 or PowerMIG 350MPs on Lincoln's website. Do they really sell 3-phase only versions of those machines?
    The 350MP is a single-phase machine only...no 3-phase version. I had a 300MP for a short time...same machine, different wrapper and slightly different software. I ran it on 230V 50amp service with no problems. I don't think I ever ran it at 100%, but I think it would have been fine.

The 350MP has a lot more features than the 256 does (had one of those briefly as well), but many aren't the sort of thing most folks use regularly...like pulse and pules on pulse. It can also do TIG lift start and stick if my memory is correct. They are really nice machines but the few I've seen go at auction get bid up pretty high because they're expensive new. The other thing is that they often seem to come from shops doing heavier work, so they've often lived a harder life.

The 256 will handle up to 1/2" thick steel in a single pass and is also a very nice machine, but not in the same league as the 350MP. I ran a 256 alongside my Millermatic 252 and I'm not good enough to tell the difference in weld quality between them...both are better than I am! I've seen a couple of 256s and even the slightly older 255XT sell at auctions for very reasonable prices, and they were in really nice condition. They seemed like machines that were bought for rolling around the shop and doing quick fixes rather than constant production.

From the sounds of it I'd lean towards the better overall deal of condition and price.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Sold for $1500. There's many more for sale. Seems like a good price to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I found one with a clear picture of the power plug. That's clearly 3-phase, right? How can that be on a Power MIG 350MP?
    Name:  PowerMIG_350MPv2.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  98.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

What Power Plug is This?

I found one with a clear picture of the power plug. That's clearly 3-phase, right? How can that be on a Power MIG 350MP?
    I’m on my phone but that looks like only 3 prong. Single phase if so. As ronsii mentioned it is just a twist lock type connector.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 06-24-2020 at 11:51 AM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, looks like 3 prong. Okay, so single-phase. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the spec sheet for the Power MIG 350MP and the input power is: 208/230/460/575/1/60. That means only single-phase, right?
    The 1/60 at the end of the string means that it is single phase, 60 hz, in the voltages listed in front of it. So you plug will be wired for two legs plus a ground.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

A shop may have put different plugs on so they wouldn't pull apart when moving machines around. It looks like the power cords are fairly long too. Standard cord is usually about 6-8ft.

Post Thanks / Like

That style of connector is CSA-50amp.

For that application it is a single phase 50amp rated connector.

But as has been mentioned you can just switch out that connector to the standard 6-50 style found on most welding machines or just hard wire it.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. I did not buy the welder. They had about 100 of these for sale and I was hoping to get one cheap towards the end of the auction. Maybe if the other buyers ran out of money, I don't know. The cheapest one sold for abut $1,800. I think that's a pretty good price. But when you add in the Internet Premuim (18%) Sales Tax (6%) and the cost to get that home ($500 plus two days of travel), it just wasn't worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

good price for an mp350.
    these machines are reliable and loaded with features and possibilities.
    try and get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they from a rental outfit?

Post Thanks / Like

The welders were previously owned by a now bankrupt Oil/Gas equipment company in Colorado. Based on the other items in the catalog, it looks like they welded lots of big tanks. The full catalog is here: https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auc...-id-bscmy10530 If you don't want to click a link supplied by someone you don't know (which is a good practice), go to BidSpotter.com, click on All Auctions, then look for "Tri-Point" Day 3. They're selling about 60 Miller XMT 450/350 welders on Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good stuff at the auction. Says from 5 shops so must have been fair size shops. A couple 50 ton overhead cranes!

Post Thanks / Like

PLUGS don't matter.

No decent welder sells with a plug

The user puts it on and it could be anything.

That plus has three prongs, that's 220 single phase
    Two hots and a ground.

Three phase has 4 connections, three hots and a ground.

Read the manual.

As mentioned, some machines can be run on both three and single phase with some configurations on the inside.

I've seen welders like that go for a few hundred at auction because the homeowner harry bid up the small machines and left the good ones alone.

Just buy one if it's cheap enough.
    The first one will not the the cheapest one.

If you get one of those for five hundred or less, you could even use it as trade in at a dealer for a new machine.

Post Thanks / Like

At this auction, I could have a 350MP multiple times for $2000. But when you add in tax, fees, and transportation, it adds up to $3,200 plus two days of my time. Not worth it. If I see a 350MP sell for $500, I'll purchase it immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, you're lucky you couldn't see spending the money that was bid. No friggin way I'd buy a welder off an internet auction. That's a lot of coin to lay out for a welder that ya don't even know if it works.

Post Thanks / Like

I work with conveyors and sorting equipment that uses these plugs. They're always 220v 3 phase in my case, but they're actually rated 480v 50amp. Here's the end yours would plug into.
    Last edited by JayWal; 06-26-2020 at 10:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist