Thread: 220-Volt 50-Amp Extension Cord

Post Thanks / Like

220-Volt 50-Amp Extension Cord

I'm looking into either a 25-foot or 50-foot extension cord for a Lincoln Power MIG 255. There are plenty on Amazon or eBay. But I noticed they all use 8-gauge or 10-gauge wire. Will that be a problem? My 220-volt outlet uses 6-gauge wire from the electrical box to the outlet. Will the lesser gauge on the extension cord limit the electrical current?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 220-Volt 50-Amp Extension Cord

There are several good threads on extension cords.

Here is one:
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...extension-cord

Here is another:
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...extension-cord

One of the electricians can offer more specifics if these don’t answer your question. I believe because of the derating allowed for welders you could use the 8 gauge up to 50’ with no problem, but wait for one of the professionals to confirm.
    Last edited by wb4rt; 06-26-2020 at 10:38 AM.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC - sold
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com
    MyWelds.com

Post Thanks / Like

8 gauge wire will be adequate.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a 50' 6-gage used boat cable for my melding cart. And also another 50' 4-gage used boat cable for a separate extension cord.
    The heavier the wire--the lower the voltage drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    8 gauge wire will be adequate.
    I agree. Wire can be de-rated due to the duty cycle of the machine. So you'd be able to pull 50A through 8 gauge because whatever heat builds up, will be dissipated once you hit the 40% duty cycle of the machine, so both the machine and wire would be cooling off. That said 6awg or thicker would be better because there is less voltage drop. The less voltage-drop you get, the better.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

I run a 6ga drop cord for the welder. It's plenty of capacity, AND I can use it to run two 5000w heaters in the shop. Never envisioned running heaters with that cord, but sure enough..........it came in handy. Bigger is better, because you really never know what you'll be doing a few years down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used 30' 8ga cords alone and hooked together coming off of a 100 amp recepticle. Never had an issue during "General" welding. Never tried on anything over 1/2". 6ga is good but you start getting into Horse c--k size to wrap up
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure it would work fine, but the specs just look odd...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJHRNXN

100% PVC on Jacket, 100% copper in conductor
    Imported

UL & cUL approved and Listed, Heavy-duty for Welder, 100% copper conductor inside.

Welder 3-prongs NEMA 6-50 lighted connector right-angle, 50 Amp / 250 Voltage.

STW 8AWG/3C stranded wire extension cord, support max 40 AMP overload, Max Rate 10000 Watt (250V).

Molded with electroplate copper terminal in order to avoid surface oxidation effectively.

Universal to All Other Brands 6-50 Welding Machine 3-pole. Length : 25 FT (25 Feet).

I think the 40 amp overload Max rate 10000watt 250v is their way of getting around the 6AWG .
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

+1 farmersammm. I don't de-rate my extension cords either. If I grab one with 50A ends I expect it can handle it. They may be originally for a welder but needs do change. I de-rate welder connections in the shop and they are labeled and dedicated as welder only. That said, you'd be fine with 8 gauge, just label it welder only. Now if your welder is 100% duty cycle... de-rating become a mute point.

Of course we've all likely scabbed something together way sketchier in a pinch.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no electrician, but I researched sizing extension cords recently and here's what I came up with:

- Understand how much current your welder draws
    - Size the circuit breaker to the welder
    - Use building wire and an outlet sized to the breaker that protects it
    - Size the extension wire gauge to the length and current draw required (or larger, but never less than the breaker)

Voltage drop is important. I found 8-gauge cords of 25 or 50 feet were good up to 30A before voltage drop exceeded 3%. 6-gauge easily handles 40 & 50A loads. More here: https://welditu.com/gear/safety/what...xtension-cord/
    Dave
    WelditU.com

Lincoln Weld-Pak 140HD
    Hobart Handler 140

Post Thanks / Like

The electrical wire in your walls going to your outlet is 6 gauge so it does not overheat and catch your house on fire. It also might be longer than 50 feet from the electrical panel. More wire means less likely to have voltage drop.
    Extension cords are out in the open. If they overheat it wont be between walls where you cant see the fire. It is only fifty feet so voltage drop is not likely. If you do have unacceptable voltage drop, you simply buy a heavier cord. If the wire in your house had a significant voltage drop and you went to upgrade your wire, you can imagine the cost and labor for that would be high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A minor point to add to this: get a garden hose hanger to put on the side of your cart or near the outlet you will be plugging into. These cords are HEAVY and it gets REALLY ANNOYING.