Thread: My Miller XMT 304 will not power up

Post Thanks / Like

My Miller XMT 304 will not power up

I purchased an XMT 304 from a local fab shop about a year back but have not used it till now (stupid I know). They used it on 3 phase power. I replaced the plug with a single phase plug and disconnected the red wire at the switch in the welder. The red is open both ends. Wehn I plug it in, I get nothing from the welder, no screen (thus no codes), no fan etc. There is a little red light on the display panel board. I have checked that I am getting 240v at the switch and at the power connect board. The welder has been moved around my barn and garage a lot since I have had it but do not recall dropping it. I got a good price for it so I do not mind repairing it if I can do so.

I am going to order a service manual but have to wait for it to get shipped. By chance does anyone have any simple ideas to check while waiting for a manual or no a place to get an online download of a manual. I am not trying to avoid paying for it, just looking for something quick (after I waited a year to use the welder).

Thanks for any thoughts

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Miller XMT 304 will not power up

Never mind. As I finished the question, I remebered that it might be a 400v machine. It is. I will either try a transformer or sell it

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Miller XMT 304 will not power up

400 or 460 volt machine? either way the auto reconnect circuit is disabled.
    Parts were not installed. so you will need a step up transformer with the right KVA rating in order to operate it. plus correct voltages. see data plate for correct line voltage