Thread: Backup camera mount

Post Thanks / Like

Backup camera mount

Just got it mounted today. Backup camera mount on the back of my work shell, also mounts a pair of brake lights to replace the original third brake light and cover its huge hole.

Welded aluminum, I first milled the back from 1/2" plate, machining an angle to make up for the forward slope of the work shell's back, so the lights would mount to a vertical surface. Then I fabricated the camera housing from 1/8" sheet, angling the camera down so I can see the tow hitch ball when I back up to hookup a trailer. The camera housing's top and back I shaped into curves (on the arbor press) for aesthetics and to match the shape of the camera. Welds were dressed into radii using a vixen file. Finish is simply rattle-can zinc chromate primer and Rustoleum black.

The aluminum fabrication mounts with sheet metal and machine screws hidden by the lights; camera mounts with a pair of flathead machine screws; lights mount with pan-head machine screws.

All comments welcome.

2. Likes Mikel_24, wb4rt, labparamour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backup camera mount

Looking good! Good job.

4. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. Well thought out and executed
    :

6. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas. Appreciate your feedback.

It was a successful project that we finished the wiring on today and everything tested out perfectly. This particular camera system really surprised me with its high resolution and excellent picture quality. It came with 2 cameras, one that mounts permanently to the back of my work shell, and one for which I'll devise a clip-on mount and battery pack to temporarily attach to the back of whatever trailer I'm towing, when I need to maneuver in a tight spot.

I'll attach a couple photos of how the display was mounted to the ashtray in my Tundra.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...omicindus08-20

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!! I like the enclosure... it looks factory!!! Only thing I did different inside on my truck was change out the stock radio for one with a slide out screen for the camera so I wouldn't be looking at the floor on job sites I though about one of the rear view mirrors with the screen in them but the screens were much smaller than what I could find in a radio.

I'll be welding up an enclosure for the box on our dumptruck(inside the box view) but it's will be made from 5/16inch steel or thicker just to protect it from rocks and excavator buckets

9. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    ... but it's will be made from 5/16inch steel or thicker just to protect it from rocks and excavator buckets
    Make it 1/2" at least then...

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first time I looked at your pictures I thought it was the back of your cab and I thought about it and went ahead and read through the comments, and re-read, and re-read and then I understood perfectly what a slick idea you had and excellent production. (Couldn't figure out at first how you could see the back of the bed with the straight down camera angle. I'm not the sharpest blade in the shed but when they let me in I might be....naw). I've had a similar camera for 2 years now but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to mount it over the license plate where it won't get smashed and mounting the screen in the cab was...well, solved by you, so thank you!
    This are the kinds of solutions I checked this forum daily to discover. Learning from those who know...creative geniuses abound here.
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

13. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellas. Happy to hear it's of some use to others.