+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Diesel Pusher Motorhomes

Post Thanks / Like

Diesel Pusher Motorhomes

I am amazed at the availability of nice, low mileage diesel pushers at very low prices. You can find nice. low mileage ones selling for less than a Class C Sprinter with more miles on it. I've been tempted but I'm a bit leery of fuel costs, maintenance and storage, not to mention what tires cost on one. The valuations on them must drop faster than any other type of RV.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Diesel Pusher Motorhomes

bigb

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    . . . but I'm a bit leery of fuel costs, maintenance
    and storage, not to mention . . .
    You'd actually be buying a BOAT - Break Out Another Thousands . . .

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

I am amazed at the availability of nice, low mileage diesel pushers at very low prices. You can find nice. low mileage ones selling for less than a Class C Sprinter with more miles on it. I've been tempted but I'm a bit leery of fuel costs, maintenance and storage, not to mention what tires cost on one. The valuations on them must drop faster than any other type of RV.
    I've been watching them too, most are way larger than what I need. I wouldn't mind a diesel for the fuel mileage, been toying with the idea of doing a diesel conversion on my current 454 powered monster, at 32' and less than 10' tall it fits my purposes perfectly. It does have a good 4500 series Chevy frame and axles with 19.5 tires (all new Goodyears) A new membrane roof and covers for the AC and vents, the previous owner spent more on it than I paid for it. Plus it's just now touching 50K miles. With no payments I can afford the extra gas at 7.2 MPG.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not a trailer since you have a nice diesel truck you can pull it with

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Why not a trailer since you have a nice diesel truck you can pull it with
    Travel trailer has been the main plan, but with the current pandemic and not knowing how long things will be affected I got to thinking a Sprinter would be a good idea, easy to jump in and go anywhere and have everything you need even for just a day trip. Looking at Sprinters is when I noticed the abundance of cheap 40 foot diesel pushers, there are more of them than there are used Sprinters.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a deal on a diesel pusher go where the snow birds go like the RGV in texas and you would not believe the deals you can get with a little patience. Just put an add in one of the snowbird papers that you will pay cash for a diesel pusher and wait for the phone to ring. 1/3 to 1/2 of blue book is an everyday thing.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of snowbirds come to Arizona and decide to sell their big pushers or travel trailers & truck, buy a house & stay, even true here in my little one horse town.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

8. Likes thegary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After spending a lot of time & money over the years keeping my 1 ton Powerstroke in top shape and ready to haul a TT we decided to go with a small class A MH for ease of travel and stealth camping in these times. 2011 Winnebago Via on Sprinter chassis, 3.0L diesel up front and she fits in the garage with room to spare. Needs a little work but runs great. We will try it for a while and see how we like it, the TT is still on the list and will keep the Powerstroke.

Tried to upload pics but no go, will try and add them later.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have also been looking through the adds at the abundance of large motorhomes and travel trailers. But after lots of thought, it seems I have to know why I want one before making a purchase. Where would I go and how long would I stay? To me, large campers or motorhomes are for going somewhere and sitting. Smaller units like vans, Sprinters, Transits, etc would be better for a lot of traveling. Currently my style is weekend travel to an event and get back to go to work on Monday. A big MH would be the wrong choice for this, because 2 nights in a nice hotel would be cheaper than the gas.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bead-boy View Post
    I have also been looking through the adds at the abundance of large motorhomes and travel trailers. But after lots of thought, it seems I have to know why I want one before making a purchase. Where would I go and how long would I stay? To me, large campers or motorhomes are for going somewhere and sitting. Smaller units like vans, Sprinters, Transits, etc would be better for a lot of traveling. Currently my style is weekend travel to an event and get back to go to work on Monday. A big MH would be the wrong choice for this, because 2 nights in a nice hotel would be cheaper than the gas.
    You are right in your thinking, an RV rarely comes to any savings in the long run. It's more of a personal desire to have your own place where ever you go and makes more sense when you retire and can travel more, but it still usually costs way more than hotels and restaurants in the long run. For full timers it might make more sense.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

13. Likes bead-boy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally tried another PC and got the pics to upload. One big reason I chose this model is that it fits in my garage, I even have room in front of it to work on the motor with the garage door closed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

15. Likes whtbaron, 12V71, farmersammm, CAVEMANN liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist